• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Worlds: your favourite.

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

WORLDS: YOUR FAVOURITE?

• KAZAJSTAN/OTHER

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Ryo Hazuki said:
I don't care about you or how hard you find it :rolleyes: the wc 1998 was one of the best and hardest wc's in past 25 years. a fact. and they don't rider your cyclotourist tempo or do only 1 lap either :rolleyes:

I agree with what you said, but you also should compare relative to each other. For me bemelerberg or cauberg are less difficult than many other hills I climbed, so I can imagine it is the same for a pro cyclist racing at pro speeds.
The fact that the 1998 wc was so hard was because it was sh*tty weather from the start (strong crosswinds and rain). And "best" depends how you see it. But it was quite entertaining.
But you can't deny that the hills in the final of the agr are more difficult than the hills in the final of this race, and the last couple of years there were on a few occasions large groups at the foot of the final climb of the cauberg, so it won't surprise me if the same happened at the wc this year.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
If the finish was 1.5km after the hill, everyone would have rode differently, and a bunch of riders who dismissed geelong as likely a sprinters worlds, would have tried to peak for it.

Cancellara was very weak that worlds yes. Only won the tt by 1 minute. Dont see what this has to do with anything though:confused:

Gilbert wasted more energy than anyone else and still rode everyone off his wheels. Had it been 1.5km after the hill there would have only been one winner. What do time trials have to do with this? We're talking about serious one day races here. ;)

Except that this course is much more familiar then other world courses. Since the AGR is largerly the same race as this.

Only difference is the sprint is 1,5km later and instead of 3 local loops there is 1 local loop after a run-in. And it's slightly easier.
Then again with all the punchers and the distance it will still be hard enough for punchers to win.

If they wait too long however there is the danger a spritner might survive and win, like Degenkolb, Boonen, Freire etc

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Except that this course is much more familiar then other world courses. Since the AGR is largerly the same race as this.

Only difference is the sprint is 1,5km later and instead of 3 local loops there is 1 local loop after a run-in. And it's slightly easier.
Then again with all the punchers and the distance it will still be hard enough for punchers to win.

If they wait too long however there is the danger a spritner might survive and win, like Degenkolb, Boonen, Freire etc

Degenkolb got blown away on Llastrila. Freire is always dangerous and Boonen is probably the biggest question mark this year. 2011 AGR only a group of 10 riders survived and Freire was amongst them.

If Alessandro Ballan and Pippo could ride this year they'd definitely be among the top favorites. Alessandro Ballan did describe Gilbert as unbeatable though. We'll see I guess.

No doubt in my mind that a rider like Alessandro Ballan could win the Amstel Gold Race though(à la Serguei Ivanov). And Boonen did follow him uphill. Funny thing is Ballan would have signed for Quick Step if he hadn't become world champion in 2008. That would've been one scary team. :eek:

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
rghysens said:
I agree with what you said, but you also should compare relative to each other. For me bemelerberg or cauberg are less difficult than many other hills I climbed, so I can imagine it is the same for a pro cyclist racing at pro speeds.
The fact that the 1998 wc was so hard was because it was sh*tty weather from the start (strong crosswinds and rain). And "best" depends how you see it. But it was quite entertaining.
But you can't deny that the hills in the final of the agr are more difficult than the hills in the final of this race, and the last couple of years there were on a few occasions large groups at the foot of the final climb of the cauberg, so it won't surprise me if the same happened at the wc this year.

the agr is so hard that large groups tend to stay together. here there are more possiblities to reduce the group. also after the bemelerberg cuz of no downhil

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:

lol.they stand no chance. the final cauberg they will go full, 100%. only guys like sagan and gilbert will stay

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Ive gone for some mindless JTL based UK national optimism. however too many of our key mega-domestiques are not riding, out of shape or knackered.

So realistically, I dont know, should be Gilbert, he's come into form, but not convincingly enough.

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
btw.is there slightly uphill finish or what?About 3% or more?
no, after the top of the cauberg there is a slight downhill section, then 3% up at about 700 meters, then flat and fast to the finish, but there will be a headwind from the left once over the cauberg, straight and safe, lung bursting finish

sartoris said:
Which country is your favorite for these Worlds' Elite Men Road Race? Even without Luis León, I think Spain has a strong chance. If Evens did it, why can't Contador do it too? :)

There were only 10 poll options, so sorry about those considering Colombia, Norway, etc...
Where is Colombia???

So we have no chance just like in the Olimpics??

So Henao, Uran and Betancur have no chance???

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
It's all up to Spain, if they decide to start throwing with bombs at 100 km people like Boonen will never survive.

We'll see, let's hope they do it and that they don't **** up like in previous WC's.

With this course, I'm quite certain that we'll have a good selection on the last ascent of Cauberg. However, I have a feeling that no one will get a big enough gap to continue over the top, as there as so many puncheurs who are at about the same level (Gilbert, Rodriguez, Valverde etc marking each other out). Things kinda stop up at the top as no one wants to work, so a group of 10-15 is soon together on the flat.

Then the most random guy in the group attacks (while the favourites watch each other) and takes the victory.

For example: Albasini, Nordhaug, Costa, Wegmann, Voeckler etc.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
Where is Colombia???

So we have no chance just like in the Olimpics??

So Henao, Uran and Betancur have no chance???

With Belgian and Spain having such powerful teams, Colombia might be flying under the radar. Which could bode well for them, plus with guys like Henao, Uran, and Quintana the other teams have to be careful to not let them get away.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I voted Spain out of common sense, but of course, will be cheering on the home team which, I think, stands a better chance than the poll indicates. Horner has shown that he can go the distance in Ardennes classics and make the final group, but lacks a good finish. I think he could make a good pilot fish for Van Garderen. It all comes down to making it to the final circuit in the front group as I imagine a good deal of selection will have happen before that, but still a sizable group, with a break up the road going as they enter the final 10 laps. Most of the US riders have chosen to remain at altitude which is an advantage to a point, but a few race back on these roads would have helped.

Farrar is questionable and actually Talansky would be a better choice anyway. I don't see any sprinters hanging on to the finish so Farrar as choice was a puzzle to me. The final ten laps will be become more brutal each time up the up the Cauberg at that distance.

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Premonitions

Came in to say, I had a dream Albasini won in a break from a small group. Gilbert out-sprinted Gerrans for second.

My sub-conscious predicts a Spanish implosion.

You heard it here first.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
BillytheKid said:
Farrar is questionable and actually Talansky would be a better choice anyway. I don't see any sprinters hanging on to the finish so Farrar as choice was a puzzle to me. The final ten laps will be become more brutal each time up the up the Cauberg at that distance.

Farrar won't be competing do to the concussion he got when he crashed in the tour of Britain. Talansky has replaced him.

Amazingly for this forum, I think Sagan is being underrated. He alone gives Slovakia at least the fourth best chance of winning the race.

Sure, he doesn't have the team support to cover every attack, but if it's any sort of a bunch finish he's plainly the one to beat.

TRENDING THREADS