• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Worst Giro d'Italia edition in the 21st century?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Worst Giro d'Italia edition in the 21st century?

• Total voters
It's between this one and 2012.
Oh well, the Tour can't be worse than this, right? At the same time we were also thinking that in 2012 and ended up with the big pommie cheater show...

2002 also had the Passo Cuddles stage, despite the circumstances it wasn't that bad.
Its not possible.

I mean, for that to happen, Poga has to be really hampered, you'd need several shortening/cancellations, every break to make it etc. Its just not possible looking at everything, the route and the rider quality showing up makes it completely impossible to me to think it can actually happen where as 2012 actually had horrendous route and a bad quality of field with lots of the best climbers missing out for several reasons.

Its not possible.

I mean, for that to happen, Poga has to be really hampered, you'd need several shortening/cancellations, every break to make it etc. Its just not possible looking at everything, the route and the rider quality showing up makes it completely impossible to me to think it can actually happen where as 2012 actually had horrendous route and a bad quality of field with lots of the best climbers missing out for several reasons.
Agreed. I think this year's Tour has a high floor.

Can't really talk about 2004 because didn't followed that edition (neither 2002, but watched all the stages highlights and mountain stages I could find on YouTube on that edition) and by far this one.

2022 had a lame GC fight as well, but Blockhaus was fun and we had interesting breakaway fights as well as the Torino stage that outclasses anything this Giro have given.

Same for 2012. All that Cunego and De Gendt have made on the Stelvio stage outranks any action of this Giro.

2002 also had good stages that I look up to with fondness, as Folgaria p.e.

I won't look back to this Giro and instantly remember some remarkable stage that links it to the 2023 edition. Even 2014, which for be was not very good, had Val Martello shambles and Aru emergence on Montecampione as moments I still remember.
This.
If I wasn't a fan of Pinot, I would have fall asleep for most of the mountain stages.
No GC winner outside of TTs is outrageous.

Reactions: Tonton
One aspect that soothes last years race for me is the names on the startlist, or lack thereof, better. The field consisted of B-tier GC riders, and that's how I went into the race. I expected a B-tier race by B-tier riders, and that's exactly what I got. I'm not getting pumped for Hindley, Juampe or Bilbao to give me some electric showdown on the flanks of the Mortirolo. They never have and they never will. Keep your expectations low and you will never be disappointed.

That was different this year. Bigger names, better race, right? So that's on me, for expecting Almeida and Roglic to be more than Leipheimer.

Thing is, even the worst Giri had a stage to, more or less, remember as years go by.

In 2022 we had Torino, plus Fedaia and Aprica which are both better by far than any stage of this year. It wasn't particularly a great Giro, but honestly it wasn't that bad. I would say it was acceptable.

In 2002, which i agree was a bad Giro, you have the Folgaria stage, which singlehandedly destroyed young Evans, Dario Frigo (was about to type Marco Frigo) and infamous Aitor González. That stage was won by Tonkov, who unexpectedly dropped Julio Alberto Perez Cuapio, the "Rujano" of that year, and jumped from ~15th to 5th thanks to that stage.

In 2012, which is the closest to this year, we had the Stelvio stage. In addition, they at least climbed Giau at a proper pace, compared to 2023.

What did we have this year? Nothing. 3 Kms of action in Lavaredo, 3 kms of action in Bondone and 10 km of action in Fossombrone and Val di Zoldo (probably the "most exciting" of them). We did not have any stage with proper gaps between the Top-10. What a horrible race.

I don't understand why this is posted already. There are still two stages to go. As of now I would have this as the worst edition, but then if the question becomes "What is the worst Giro edition of the 21st century, after 19 stages?" I would probably rank 2012 even lower. So it's only fair to let the last two stages of this one play out first. If Almeida pulls a Pogacar and rides himself into pink out of nowhere that would certainly improve my rating.

Also I think a similar argument applies to the 2022 Giro, which had a dramatic stage 20 too. But then I think 2022 was generally significantly better than this years edition.

I don't understand why this is posted already. There are still two stages to go. As of now I would have this as the worst edition, but then if the question becomes "What is the worst Giro edition of the 21st century, after 19 stages?" I would probably rank 2012 even lower. So it's only fair to let the last two stages of this one play out first. If Almeida pulls a Pogacar and rides himself into pink out of nowhere that would certainly improve my rating.

Also I think a similar argument applies to the 2022 Giro, which had a dramatic stage 20 too. But then I think 2022 was generally significantly better than this years edition.
Which is why that for this poll I made it possible to change vote. And there's no time limit.

It was posted already because it's limited how much better it can get, and then it will surely be in the running for the worst edition of the century so far.

I once heard Daniel Friebe tell about the 2002 edition and all it's issue. That was hilarious.
Yes, that was a good one. It is discussed in this episode, relevant part starts around 7:30:

Reactions: tobydawq
+ the Mortirolo stage: action from 100km before the finish.
+ the fact that Cunego won this Giro, but Simoni was the designated leader of the same team. There was a lot of suspense before the final mountain stages because it was not clear how the young and inexperienced Cunego would deal with the pressure, if his own team-mate would attack him etc. Also, as already mentioned, this set-up allowed Simoni to make a longe-range attack.

Reactions: Monte Serra
+ the fact that Cunego won this Giro, but Simoni was the designated leader of the same team. There was a lot of suspense before the final mountain stages because it was not clear how the young and inexperienced Cunego would deal with the pressure, if his own team-mate would attack him etc. Also, as already mentioned, this set-up allowed Simoni to make a longe-range attack.
Simoni called Cunego a bastard after Honchar had reeled him in towards Bormio 2000 and Cunego took the stage win!

Reactions: Monte Serra
The problem with this Giro is that the stage design. I dont expect any actions much by the last 2 stages. The stages i expect actions are 13 and 16 (the latter did happen). Also, with COVID and the overall weather condition decimate riders left and right, and many GC principals are gone, especially Remco so the incentive to attack are reduce.

TRENDING THREADS