• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Worst things in Pro Cycling

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
-Helmets
-Spanish continental teams
-UCI
-Riders only seriously approaching 1, 2 or maybe 3 races per year
-The Columbia kit
-Tour of Poland

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
The offseason.

Too right, we have some really pointless threads at the moment which indicates no news, another thing I hate Spainish riders beating our aussie riders, it's becoming a trend unfortunately.

A

Anonymous

1/idiots who run in front of riders on mountain stages
2/idiots who stand in front of riders with cameras on stages
3/idiots who turn up on the champs elysees at 4pm on a certain sunday and are willing to kill you to get your space on the barrier when youve been there since 7am
4/Sherwen and Ligget
5/MOtoGp and Tennis interfering with the classics on eurosport
6/Helmets - just ruins the visuals
7/Cheats
8/Piti and Ricco - see above

A

Anonymous

The fact than in Australia, watching a Euro race means staying up till 2am and then having to get up 4 hours later to go to work...

Also, the fact than in Australia, the only live races we see are:

- Paris-Roubaix (although i didn't know that, and watched it online to a skippy picture and french commentary)

- Tour de France: Last 3 hours of each stage

then, non-live we get, the Giro d'Italia and Vuelta a Espana 15 minute highlights at 7am.

30min highlights of the TDU

And this year, luckily we got the Worlds RR, won by our aussie superstar Cadel

(note i don't blame the tv networks. it's hard to make a profit showing this niche sport on aus tv - high $$ for TV rights plus low audience means low advertising revenue.

we need more interested viewers to boost demand. If cadel wins the giro, this may well ignite the cycling interest for a second boom in aus
)

Oh, and i totally agree abotu helmets. well, i think for a hill top finish, they should be allowed to ditch them at the bottom of the climb, so we can better see who's puffing and whos breathing through their nose and getting bored (ricco)

Mountain Goat said:
The fact than in Australia, watching a Euro race means staying up till 2am and then having to get up 4 hours later to go to work...

- Paris-Roubaix (although i didn't know that, and watched it online to a skippy picture and french commentary)

then, non-live we get, the Giro d'Italia and Vuelta a Espana 15 minute highlights at 7am.

(note i don't blame the tv networks. it's hard to make a profit showing this niche sport on aus tv - high $$ for TV rights plus low audience means low advertising revenue.

we need more interested viewers to boost demand. If cadel wins the giro, this may well ignite the cycling interest for a second boom in aus
)

Oh, and i totally agree abotu helmets. well, i think for a hill top finish, they should be allowed to ditch them at the bottom of the climb, so we can better see who's puffing and whos breathing through their nose and getting bored (ricco)

Sounds like you need to get yourself a sat dish for Eurosport! We have one in the office and watch every single race all year long. It's in french but that's cool as a few of our speak it.. otherwise its the best investment you will make. Oh and the other cool bit is you don't have to listen to Phil and Paul bumbing along. ;)

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
The three things that BUG me are:

1) Whiners

2) Dopers

3) Finger-Bang Glitter Shirts

However, I do allow a rider to have one "fault" and still be ok in MY book.
For example, Eddy is a Doper but not a whiner or a finger-bang shirt wearer.
So he is OK.

Alberto wears a finger-bang glitter shirt, but he is not a whiner or doper.
So he is OK too.

And whiners are ok ONLY if they do not dope or wear that hideous shirt!

ACsnarl.jpg

finger-bang glitter shirt photo courtesy of Jacobus

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
My biggest beefs have been covered - riders only racing in a few select events (which I understand), the lack of TV coverage in Canada, and the corruption of the UCI. Patty McOstrich.

Other than doping, of course.

98% media focus on one rider, who isn't even the best, nor won anything of note during the year.

Race radios (or more accurately, too much info available to car).

Helmets mandatory on the final climb of the day (can see why mandatory the rest of the time though).

The UCI.

The Spanish courts, and RFEC.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Mountain Goat said:

)

Remember Andrei Kivilev or Fabio Cassertelli. it would be too hard for all the riders to ditch their helmets at the bottom of the climbs.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Other than doping, of course.

98% media focus on one rider, who isn't even the best, nor won anything of note during the year.

Race radios (or more accurately, too much info available to car).

Helmets mandatory on the final climb of the day (can see why mandatory the rest of the time though).

The UCI.

The Spanish courts, and RFEC.

Do you mean 98% of coverage towards Lance armstrong and then you might hear a sentence or two about the happenings in the race and other riders? Lance finished 122nd in the Down under Classics and all we hear is LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE and more Lance but hear nothing about the winner Mcewen.

If we stop race radios, then it's like stopping a coach telling their players tatics during a football match.

UCI are tools and the spanish courts are corrupt.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:
The three things that BUG me are:

1) Whiners

2) Dopers

3) Finger-Bang Glitter Shirts

However, I do allow a rider to have one "fault" and still be ok in MY book.
For example, Eddy is a Doper but not a whiner or a finger-bang shirt wearer.
So he is OK.

Alberto wears a finger-bang glitter shirt, but he is not a whiner or doper.
So he is OK too.

And whiners are ok ONLY if they do not dope or wear that hideous shirt!

ACsnarl.jpg

finger-bang glitter shirt photo courtesy of Jacobus

something tells me this dude AC doesn't get much finger bangin play at all

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:
Crybabies

Agree.... especially Filippo Simeoni when his team was not invited to the Giro when he was Italian champion.... if he were that great he'd be on a good team and get GT invites...

...whiners really bug me... and light blue team kit... a la Astana, Gerolsteiner, etc... not a good colour for men to wear while riding bikes...

... and bonehead fans with antlers... WTF buddy.

... that is all...

Alpe d'Huez said:
This. In Norway it seems like they try to get the name "Lance Armstrong" into every headline, no matter what. When I read the headline "Armstrong beaten by Oscar Freire" I literally started crying (some random race where Oscar Freire won the mass sprint and Lance was 50th or so...)

auscyclefan94 said:
If we stop race radios, then it's like stopping a coach telling their players tatics during a football match.
And your point is?

I'm also not advocating they be completely eliminated, only that team cars, and riders, do not have information about other riders on the road, such as time splits, but also biological info (wattage, HRM, etc).

maltiv said:
In Norway it seems like they try to get the name "Lance Armstrong" into every headline, no matter what.
Can you only imagine what it's like in the US?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
And your point is?

I'm also not advocating they be completely eliminated, only that team cars, and riders, do not have information about other riders on the road, such as time splits, but also biological info (wattage, HRM, etc).

My Point is keep it the way it is.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:

Spot on, I would add dopers who 'absolutely positively, deny they took anything, and will fight til the end of time to clear their name'. For ****s sake just admit it and get on with your life.

TRENDING THREADS