• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Would You Really Want To Be A Pro Cyclist?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Would you really want to be a Pro Cyclist?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
what's the problem with that? :rolleyes:

I guess it's something personal. I spent a lot of my childhood in hospitals and I remember one of those devices suddenly come loose and start spilling blood everywhere. I do realize that blood tests aren't actually painful or anything.

cycladianpirate said:
I doubt there's anyone who both follows the sport and rides a bike that hasn't, even if only for a brief while, let their imagination run riot and, while out on a club ride, a training session or even their daily commute, put themselves in the place of a pro cyclist in a GT or Classic:)

But, would you, could you, really bring yourself to actually do it?

Compared to what? Cleaning somebody's bottom every once in a while? Sitting in a reception all day? Me? If I got the chance, I would take it any time.

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Pro-Cyclist

It's not the same riding as a hobby, as it is when it's a job. I ride for health reasons, to enjoy the scenery, to partake in races w/o the stress to perform well, to catch a breakway, to be someone's waterboy'. I am an economist, have worked in Banks, Hotels, Resorts, Reastaurants, as a Maitre'D in fancy restaurants, as a Director Sportiff at junior level teams. It isn't the same to go to a bank to deposit/Withdraw/Buy/Sell, as it is to work there. Likewise, to go to a resort has no relationship whatsoever to working 24/7 in one. My farm' went broke as I gave away produce & Profits to hungry locals. Likewise, to ride ill, in pain, to travel a lot and sleep in crowded hotels w/o having sex, to perform duties nobody but a few Hinchas appreciate; To put your health at risk taking Lotto' Stuff in order to do thing the human body wasn't designed to do; Cold/Hot weather? irrelevant; Need to go to the Head? Who cares; Pay? Except for a few superstars for a short period of time, it stinks. That's why I'm a true fanatic of the sport. They are arson!:)

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Cancellator said:
I guess it's something personal. I spent a lot of my childhood in hospitals and I remember one of those devices suddenly come loose and start spilling blood everywhere. I do realize that blood tests aren't actually painful or anything.

yeah but you realize when they say blood drawn out without further discomfort it really is without further discomfort except in your very rare case as a child. there are millions of blooddonors have have this done twice a year volunteerly

The Hitch said:
Yeah I would prefer to be a domestique too. I like to help people and get appreciation for it.

Also when you're on your limit you don't have to keep pushing your body to extremes. You can push as much as you want and then let go and take it easier.

Not to rain on the parade (at all!! - dreaming of being a pro is what got me through the misery of high school and...drove me to the paid ranks at 19! :) ) but just ask Mike Friedman how well that all worked out, the whole working for someone else and having that work acknowledged - or not.

I won't speak for him here but simply doing one's job in the style of someone like Friedman (who is a great athlete, very modest, conscientious, does his work but doesn't toot his own horn about it and is non-confrontational by nature) isn't always enough in this day and age.

To have your contract not be renewed supposedly because you lacked "results" when you'd spent the previous two years giving up your own chances of glory in order to help others get "results" for "the team" ... verrrry bitter pill to frustratingly swallow! :eek:

Even still though, pro cycling = awesome. I'm so glad I had the chance to compete as I did, even if it wasn't the TdF or, as in Mike's case, the Olympics and Classics. I don't think I could've done it if I hadn't approached the sport though as a lifestyle and not just a pursuit - and from age 14 at that. Trying to become an endurance athlete after undergoing any normal amt. of socialization w/ a non-athlete peer group can't be easy!

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
No way. Compared to amateur bike racing, which can be fun, the pro races in Belgium for instance are crazy, dangerous, torturous affairs. All you have to do is really watch a spring classic to see how many risks the riders are taking, jumping curbs, dodging streetlights and other road furniture. And, then throw in rain and cold into the mix. At least with an amateur race, if it is cold and raining outside, I can go back to bed and skip the race. The pros? They gotta ride.

As far as domestiques go, you get no glory for the work you do, and as has been mentioned, if you spend more than a year or two without results, you will have a hard time negotiating a new contract. Unless you are a star rider, pro bike racing is not very glamorous.

I feel for riders like Ben King, Danny Pate, etc. that are work horses and will win very few races in their careers.