• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Would You Really Want To Be A Pro Cyclist?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Would you really want to be a Pro Cyclist?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I must say though, from today's perspective i regret that i didn't pursue my xc skiing "career" harder. Not that i would have become a pro or anything, but it was a fun time, and i feel i should have competed a little longer and should have shown more effort. But surely i wouldn't want to be a pro xc skier too. Only if i knew that i could make it to the top and actually win something. But i always knew i didn't have that talent.
On the other hand, maybe i just remmber the good things and forget about the bad ones. So probably it's just a nostalgica thing.

Depends, i'd never want to be a domestique for 15 years, but to be a team captain, and winning big races, or come close to winning those big races would be cool.

I'd rather be a professional tennis player though. I love playing it more than watching it, with cycling it's the opposite, as there are only flat roads, and the only thing i can see are cows in a pasture

gregrowlerson said:
No, I would be far too afraid on the descents.

I was reasonably fearless as a descender until my late-20's. After I crashed and broke my knee and spent a month in hospital, upon returning it was a struggle to stay w/ the leaders and not get gapped going downhill. As long as you don't think about what could happen, it's possible to push to the limit and go 90-100kph or more downhill. Once you fall into the trap of self-preservation and begin to analyze how many uncontrollable variables there are which could cause a terrible fall independent of your skill as a rider, and how bad the injuries could be, it becomes very difficult not to grab the brakes far earlier than those who are better managing their fear.

When one of my teammates crashed solo while off-the front in a race in Italy (after the director had warned him against taking unnecessary risks on the descent), the first thing that the director said on the radio was to ask not if the rider was ok, but if the Campagnolo Bora wheels he'd been running had sustained any damage. lol :eek:

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
When you imagine life as a pro cyclist, you tend to see yourself as the GT contender, the classics star, etc. Life as Ivan Basso, as Fabian Cancellara? Hell yeah, I could take that. But life as the other 90% would be hard as hell. Living out of a small suitcase, endless hotel rooms, even massages get old after a while. Doing that without the big salary and endorsement contracts makes the sacrifice that much greater. Killing yourself day after day for your star teammate, only to find that you don't get to go to France this year. Again. And if I could (and I cannot and never could), I would probably do it, even as that relatively nameless domestique.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Not quite enough money

If I had the talent and had gotten into cycling young enough, I reckon I'd have had a go...but I'd like to think what was going on in European cycling when I *was* young enough would have put me off.

But, in the hard light of day, I don't think the money in pro cycling for domestiques is quite generous enough. As I understand it, the average domestique earns enough to either a) have a nice lifestyle and support a family in some comfort, or b) save for the future when they're not a pro cyclist, but not both at the same time.

Incidentally, this is one of the reasons why I bristle a bit at the complaints about the money-seeking activities of the various organizing bodies. Cycling really could do with more money (unlike, say, professional football, which is swimming in excess).

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
joe_papp said:
I was reasonably fearless as a descender until my late-20's. After I crashed and broke my knee and spent a month in hospital, upon returning it was a struggle to stay w/ the leaders and not get gapped going downhill. As long as you don't think about what could happen, it's possible to push to the limit and go 90-100kph or more downhill. Once you fall into the trap of self-preservation and begin to analyze how many uncontrollable variables there are which could cause a terrible fall independent of your skill as a rider, and how bad the injuries could be, it becomes very difficult not to grab the brakes far earlier than those who are better managing their fear.
:
Joe
A lot of years ago I asked Ron Hayman what was the retirement moment for him. He said he was going down a big hill in Milan San Remo in the rain going 100 kph and thought abut what would happen. From that point he knew it was time. As long as he did not think about the consequences he was good.

Someone said that most cyclists are worker bees but isn't that true for any jobs we do? Most of us are just worker bees, not the stars!

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Havetts said:
Yes, please do tell us more, TRDean :)

Ya, there's a book waiting to be written.
Lots of reason for my "no" vote, but mainly this: Last year I went down to Auburn, Ca to watch the start of one stage of the ATof California. I got to meet and talk to a number of the riders. It was quite a thrill. Then the peloton took a few neutral spins around the town and rode off toward Modesto. It was as they were riding away that it struck me how harsh the conditions were...still freezing with snow collected on the sides of some of the roads.
In Spanish, there is a phrase that I like a lot...no tengo ganas. It means, literally, I don't have the desire...but deeper...I don't have the "wanting" in my soul to do something. As I watched the racers ride away that freezing day I thought, even if I was blessed with the talent, strength, and abilitiies...no tengo ganas to ride on a day like that!

Before every ride I think to myself, 'I'm going to power over the hills like Philippe Gilbert, I'm going to cruise along the flats like Fabian Cancellara, I'm going to dance up the climbs like Alberto Contador, I'm going to sprint home like Mark Cavendish.'

About an hour into every ride I think to myself, 'thank **** I'm not a professional cyclist.'

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
Daily massages would be the only thing that would make me want to be pro :D It just seems like a crazy lifestyle. Constant traveling, getting hassled with out of competition doping controls. There does not seem much of a balance.

TRDean said:
I took a shot at it in the 80's. I'm from the US...went and raced at a very high amateur level in the Netherlands and Belgium. I loved it at the time...but came away with a few observations. First, it was very hard living on my own (with a host family) and away from my family when I was only 19-20 years old. Second, you had to do crazy stuff to do well...if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I didn't tough it out..and came home and have a nice life. Every spring..and I mean every spring I get down on my self about not sticking it out and trying to make it...then I see footage of the early spring races...cold, rain, brutality, beauty...and I am soooo glad I didn't keep trying! LOL!

So my answer is no...I would not want to be a pro cyclist...very tough life..very tough indeed and my hats off to every one of them..from the champions to the scrubs!

True words TRDean and you sound like one of my best mates from the bluemountains>

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Yes. If I were able to ride well and clean. I did race against Davis Phinney and Alexi Grewal at Bisbee in there last years on Coors Light post Seven Eleven.

In those days (1992), the pros raced with Cat. 2 and Cat. 1 amateurs to get a field, few in the US turned pro. All I can tell you is the jump from a successful Cat. 3 to the 2s was like starting all over. I think if you start early enough and progressed it would be worthwhile as long as you had some success.

Of course, you have little time for others and other pursuits in life. That was a brief brush at that level. At 32, I had no ambitions beyond a couple of years racing at that level. As it was, it lasted about one year.

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
At night I sometimes think of thise and think of myself as a pro cyclist. Even going to the point where I picture myself winning races.

The profession of being a pro cyclist looks glamorous to me when I see it on tv or online. I know it's harder than one would think, but I do sometimes want to know what it's like. So yeah, I would like to be a cyclist if I can. Thing is the most I'll probably be able to achieve is in a conti team. I'll be 20 this year and see guys younger than me already on their path to the pro tour.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I would never want to be a pro cyclist. it's the greatest sport to watch but not to do. besides my body would become very ugly and skinny

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
BillytheKid said:
Yes. If I were able to ride well and clean. I did race against Davis Phinney and Alexi Grewal at Bisbee in there last years on Coors Light post Seven Eleven.
I did Bisbee back then, great race, anybody remember the Wheat Thins series of races in Cali?

I'm surprised at the number of 'no's' here. it is just as painful to train and race cat 4 club races as it does to be pro, crashes hurt the same, decents are the same, just more pain time in the pro's, but training to be competitive in a cat 1-2 race AND working a full time job, and paying for your own bike/wheels is very painful also. I would be a pro just for the travel experience alone, you get the best seat for every race...

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm really surprised by the amount of no's. Harden up people!

I'd go pro hands down if I got the chance, doubt it will happen though

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Yes, but with the qualifier that I know I would have wanted to go that route when I was 15 or 16. If I had been talented enough, I would be a pro now. With the knowledge I have now and the life I've built for myself, I definitely wouldn't want to be a pro cyclist now.

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I see alot of responses of the "only if I could be one of the leading guys", but to me the beauty would really be in domestiqueing. To see your teammates win and go for your own chance once in a while :)

Havetts said:
I see alot of responses of the "only if I could be one of the leading guys", but to me the beauty would really be in domestiqueing. To see your teammates win and go for your own chance once in a while :)

Yeah I would prefer to be a domestique too. I like to help people and get appreciation for it.

Also when you're on your limit you don't have to keep pushing your body to extremes. You can push as much as you want and then let go and take it easier.

The Hitch said:
Yeah I would prefer to be a domestique too. I like to help people and get appreciation for it.

Also when you're on your limit you don't have to keep pushing your body to extremes. You can push as much as you want and then let go and take it easier.
As long as you don't have to be a domestique for an arrogant idiot, which happens occasionally...Really fun to work your *** off at the front all day only to have your captain blame you when he doesn't win.

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
Got an email a few weeks ago, some researcher from my college was looking for cyclist volunteers to do some threshold testing and to study the effects of some fibers on metabolism.

It sounded great until I read the line "on day 3 a tube will be introduced into your arm to draw blood without further discomfort".Yeaah...

I guess the biggest thing about being a pro would be not having to worry about all those stupid annoying things like mechanicals, getting the right gear etc. and just focus on the riding. But the lifestyle as a whole is surely not for everyone. Arm tubes, anyone?

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Cancellator said:
Got an email a few weeks ago, some researcher from my college was looking for cyclist volunteers to do some threshold testing and to study the effects of some fibers on metabolism.

It sounded great until I read the line "on day 3 a tube will be introduced into your arm to draw blood without further discomfort".Yeaah...

I guess the biggest thing about being a pro would be not having to worry about all those stupid annoying things like mechanicals, getting the right gear etc. and just focus on the riding. But the lifestyle as a whole is surely not for everyone. Arm tubes, anyone?

what's the problem with that? :rolleyes:

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
woodie said:
I'm really surprised by the amount of no's.

So am I.

I also wouldn't mind being a domestique. Not sure what I'd be best suited for though. I will have a problem doing domestique duties for a guy like Cavendish though.