• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wout van Aert

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Wout was already outrageous at the Tour last year but he got into some heavy drugs this year. This goes below the belt even for most people who don’t mind doping as long as it’s somewhat believable.
The hubris may well be his undoing. There was simply no need to do what he did yesterday on Hautacam - it didn't really serve any purpose other than to show everyone how dominant he is.

With his huge ego, it won't be long before he decides he wants a shot at the yellow jersey himself, then things could start unravelling at Jumbo if they have to back one of either him or Vingo.

Probably get in every single break of the Tour with Wout, then the 2 of them battle for every stage forgetting they should be working for Vingo or whoever else is 20 minutes behind.
So basically like every race their CX era? When the racing evolved from Nys getting away in the final lap, to MVDP and Van Aert just getting away in the first lap

Wout coming from CX. Ok, he’s got something at Strade Bianchi. Ok, he’s got the bike handling for the cobbles. But the long distances seemed to hamper him.
Then he popped up as a mountain domestique for a stage. Ok, he’s got the engine.
Winning on the Ventoux stage. Ok, he’s got good legs.

Now, we come to this Tour. Multiple breakaway efforts, multiple sprints, multiple examples of closing gaps for Vingo, and powering up mountains consistently over the course of 3 weeks. The fatigue buildup should be massive but not for Wout.

Reactions: Ilmaestro99
I think Wout is forgetting to make it look at least a bit realistic this year.

up until yesterday I was accepting to being naive but what was that?

In the attack all day over high mountains, dropping Pogi, staying with Pogi to do some psychological games and then crossing the line as if it had been a walk in the park?

He is an amazing athlete but this is just not credible anymore. It is a complete joke.

And outside this forum there are 0 questions. 0, Not one journalist who is questioning this.

There was something hilarious about Van Aert attacking from the break and pulling like crazy while being chased by Kuss, only to be caught so Kuss could sit up and then Van Aert could proceed to pull from Vingegaard so hard that Pogačar was dropped. It was like what. Nuclear headless chickens, so strong that it doesn't even matter that they ride dumb. Just powering through their Jumboness.

In the attack all day over high mountains, dropping Pogi, staying with Pogi to do some psychological games and then crossing the line as if it had been a walk in the park?

He is an amazing athlete but this is just not credible anymore. It is a complete joke.

And outside this forum there are 0 questions. 0, Not one journalist who is questioning this.

I'm thinking how does he not run into some kind of mental exhaustion. Watching this Tour a fairly bit (not watching the entire stage in some of the days but keeping it in the background while working and catching up with some of the final parts at night) to me it seems his body and mind is always on overdrive - either attacking, working, sprinting, pulling, etc. We see every rider taking it easy sometimes, going back in the bunch, cracking some jokes, talking relaxed to others but I don't remind seeing him do that much. Neither body nor mental fatigue.

I'm thinking how does he not run into some kind of mental exhaustion. Watching this Tour a fairly bit (not watching the entire stage in some of the days but keeping it in the background while working and catching up with some of the final parts at night) to me it seems his body and mind is always on overdrive - either attacking, working, sprinting, pulling, etc. We see every rider taking it easy sometimes, going back in the bunch, cracking some jokes, talking relaxed to others but I don't remind seeing him do that much. Neither body nor mental fatigue.
I've watched most stages in full apart from the last three. He has actually still spent a bit of time chatting in the back of the peleton. But mostly he's been on speed yes.

Looking where Van Aert lost time on Pogi/Vingo:
Stage 5 to Arenberg: +13 on P, s.t. V [no doubt he could have won time on both if he had gone all out for himself]
Stage 6 to Longwy: +7:28 on both [VA attempting a ridiculous 150km solo, not a bad day for him]
Stage 7 SPBF: +11:02 on both [possibly a bad day for him]
Stage 9 Aigle: +11:40 or so [all day breakaway]
Stage 10 Morzine: +2:30 or so [bad day?]
Stage 11 Granon: +17:27 on V, couple minutes less on P [another huge breakaway effort, and doing lots of teamwork]
Stage 12 Alpe: +15 [massive work for the team, pulling the peloton all day]
Stage 14 Mende: +6:30 [led peloton into final climb, maybe not a great day?]
Stage 17 Peyragudes: +21:20 [in the break, then piloting Vingo]
Stage 18 Hautacam: +2 V, +2 P [obviously a fantastic day, didn't even go all out in the end]

It's impossible to judge where he would stand in the GC if he didn't have to do team duties and wasn't such a lunativ, but I'm not sure, he had an actually bad day at all in this race so far - except maybe stage 7 and 14. Did I miss something?

Because he's a God in Belgium.

This is getting so blatant it's embarrassing, but man is it entertaining!

Don't forget we STILL haven't seen Wout go for green with zero obligations as well.

There was something hilarious about Van Aert attacking from the break and pulling like crazy while being chased by Kuss, only to be caught so Kuss could sit up and then Van Aert could proceed to pull from Vingegaard so hard that Pogačar was dropped. It was like what. Nuclear headless chickens, so strong that it doesn't even matter that they ride dumb. Just powering through their Jumboness.
It's actually mad to think how much they would dominate if they had a DS in the car who actually knew some decent tactics.

TRENDING THREADS