• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wout van Aert

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Long time reader, first time poster.
I simply can not take it anymore. This certain specimen is beyond ridiculous.
Has anyone else noticed how 'out of control' WvA has been? This stage highlighted it perfectly with Jumbo's DS having to force Wout to calm down and get back into the peloton from the break. Furthermore, Wout had these sudden PTSD attacks where he just had to catch the guys up front for no reason, even dropping Vingegaard.
View: https://twitter.com/faustocoppi60/status/1548689395762487297

It's like the terminator gene is developing a mind of its own.

At the time of the writing he wasn't waiting for him and was pushing in the front of the race. They only corrected it much later.

So at the time of writing he was carrying out a great tactical move.

Sending a team member in the break to help team leader later is hardly a new tactic. Surprised you didn't realise it. Pog was unlikely to drop Vinegar in the climb, but had he done so WVA was there to lead Vinegar back to him in the descent.

So at the time of writing he was carrying out a great tactical move.

Sending a team member in the break to help team leader later is hardly a new tactic. Surprised you didn't realise it. Pog was unlikely to drop Vinegar in the climb, but had he done so WVA was there to lead Vinegar back to him in the descent.
Top kek.
Sending a guy 8m down the road while your own team is left with one domestique and everyone is attacking in the first climb is not good tactics. I'm not surprised you don't realise it since you don't seem to understand that even when things turn out OK, that doesn't mean it's perfect tactics. Furthermore, between my comment and WVA waiting there's more than hour of difference. Of course making him wait made sense, him pulling on the front if that was the plan all along, didn't.

You couldn't know that Pogacar wasn't gonna drop him at the time. A team that's short handed can have guys in the breakaway to be picked up and help, but not that far from the leader. If Vingo had any trouble in the first climb he'd be worthless because even with his form WVA wouldn't be able to be much of a factor in the second climb. On the other hand, if they're assuming Vingo will never be dropped by Pogacar, tactics are not much of a factor anyway. He just needs to be on his wheel...

You're just hurt because I expose you the other day and that's why you're trying to fabricate something with as much sense as the rest of everything you say around here: zero.

Reactions: Fantastico
Didn't know sending team mates up the road was a tactic.

Resorts to insults when pointed out.

Keep going, PhilLiz. You are doing well...
Kek, who didn't know? You? I didn't write anything about sending team mates up the road. What made no sense was him pushing if that was the idea.

You pointed out d1ck. You tried to make up something that wasn't there because you were exposed the other day as a know nothing shill for Giiiiiii and it's still hurting you.

Stay mad.

OK, let's make this really simple, so that even a noob such as yourself can understand.

WVA is of little use on a climb if TP attacks. Vinegar can probably hold his own and has a pacing wingman.
TPwas always going to attack. If he succeeds and Vinegar gets a little dropped he needs a skilful heavier rider to do all the work on the descent and drag him back to TP....because TP is a good descender. If WVA was there at the attack he won't be there on the descent. Hence the insurance policy of sending him up the road.

You said WVA tactics made no sense. But that is because you dont understand cycling . It isn't my fault that you know nothing, so there is no need to start throwing insults like a petulant adolescent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eeslliw
OK, let's make this really simple, so that even a noob such as yourself can understand.

WVA is of little use on a climb if TP attacks. Vinegar can probably hold his own and has a pacing wingman.
TPwas always going to attack. If he succeeds and Vinegar gets a little dropped he needs a skilful heavier rider to do all the work on the descent and drag him back to TP. If WVA was there at the attack he won't be there on the descent. Hence the insurance policy of sending him up the road.

You said WVA tactics made no sense. But that is because you dont understand cycling . It isn't my fault that you know nothing, so there is no need to start throwing insults like a petulant adolescent.
Nice projection in the end there. Imagine being exposed so bad that you need to look up my posts to try (and fail) to find something to pick on.

Again, I said d1ck about him being up in front. At the time he was pushing in front which makes zero sense, that's the problem specially if you want to follow that strategy. They told him, he stopped working and the rest unfolded. What happened literally confirmed that not the other way around. You're trying to pretend I said that at the time when he was waiting. I wasn't and you're lying pretending I did. Furthermore, there's way more detail than that. Had Vingo been dropped, WVA was so far up the road that even if he stopped, waited and then worked for Vingo the loss of time would have been worse than if he just stayed in the group and paced himself because it would have taken far less for Vingo to reach him.

There's also an underlying problem here: you're trying to make up explanations about what happened based only on the results. It's normal for people new to this. In Pro Cycling, a sport that is, by its very nature, extremely unpredictable and when one team can do everything right and end up losing or the way around. I'm not suggesting Jumbo did everything wrong, but WVA, at that moment, wasn't doing doing the right thing according to the very strategy you just described.

You're in your feelings again: oH, i wAs iNsUlTeD!!!!!111. Stay mad.

PS - To afraid to quote, eh? Don't worry, it's only your credibility at stake. You have none.

I'm a known MVDP fan on this site, so I'll probably get called sour grapes on for this comment But Wout is kind've ridiculous at this point. Are we really supposed to believe he can climb mountains like this, with nary a stage off, and always pulling on every terrain? The unbelievability is reaching Lance levels. Of course he's not the only one who's benefited from the high level of "professionalism" at JV. As talented as Wout is (and he is massively talented), the progression in certain facets of his performance is suspicious at best.

I'm a known MVDP fan on this site, so I'll probably get called sour grapes on for this comment But Wout is kind've ridiculous at this point. Are we really supposed to believe he can climb mountains like this, with nary a stage off, and always pulling on every terrain? The unbelievability is reaching Lance levels. Of course he's not the only one who's benefited from the high level of "professionalism" at JV. As talented as Wout is (and he is massively talented), the progression in certain facets of his performance is suspicious at best.

wait until he does a repeat of last year's tour and wins stages 20 and 21 , probably 19 too

Crazy thing is he never even looks like he has to go that deep. MVPD on the other hand...went beyond his own limits to win stage 1 of the Giro - think his max HR hit 201. Interesting that MVDP is one of the very few guys willing to post all their data - including HR.
I imagine many teams outlaw posting all data. Still really cool that he’s willing to share it. And yeah, looks aren’t always telling but with MVdP it’s definitely accurate, probably also why he’s less consistent.

TRENDING THREADS