• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

X riding for US postal

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
python said:
agree with you observations including the 'ruthlessness' comment...but what does the ruthlessness mean in light of those other teams failing to match the performance of the armstrong phenomena and his teams ?

the answer (imo) is : (in addition to the cogent observation by blackcat about the resources), i would plainly add the amount and the mode of doping that the other riders/teams, unlike armstrong's, felt was too risky for both their health and the chances of passing a test...

simply put, a tdf transfusion schedule of 3 units in stead of 2 (as tyler has hinted at) was risky, no doubt, but was well worth it given the uci attitude and the performance benefits.

this is what i believe the armstrong/bruyneel secret was - dope to the max and let the chips fall where they may - except we count it wont be our heads...

While I agree with what you are saying, ruthlessness began at the team owner, Wiesel. I would argue the combination of ruthlessness was vital to the domination.

Also, IMHO, there's an assumption in some of the replies that the testing process was meaningful and somehow legitimate. It was not for Grand Tour winners. At least for Wonderboy and Contador.

Finally, the other hidden assumption with many of the comments is the scandal was generated at the team level. We know Hein played a substantial role in making the 7x myth a reality.

Part of the story needs to be emphasized is that the UCI was deeply involved in making the myth. That *still* has not quite made it into the larger narrative.

Probably off topic, but I keep waiting for just one Lance Gravytrain Coattails Riding "journalist" to come forward and say "Oh hell yes I knew, I think we all did, but the story and the money was just too good to pass up". But all we have gotten is either shocked indignant surprise, or ...crickets..

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
I was under the impression Weisel was involved in the creation of the team after spending time with LA and finding a kindred spirit. As corrupt as the other riders you list may be, I don't think any of them would have made the connection with Weisel like Lance did.

And therefore, there would have been no team.

Not entirely true. Armstrong was shipped off to France out of Motorola (Fronted by Weisel's employee Ochs). It was Cancer that got him his place back on Weisel's team.

TheGame said:
Not entirely true. Armstrong was shipped off to France out of Motorola (Fronted by Weisel's employee Ochs). It was Cancer that got him his place back on Weisel's team.

It is true depending on the time frame. Lance+Cancer+Weisel=the unholy trinity. It took a really pitchable story (cancer) to make the whole thing work.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
python said:
agree with you observations including the 'ruthlessness' comment...but what does the ruthlessness mean in light of those other teams failing to match the performance of the armstrong phenomena and his teams ?

the answer (imo) is : (in addition to the cogent observation by blackcat about the resources), i would plainly add the amount and the mode of doping that the other riders/teams, unlike armstrong's, felt was too risky for both their health and the chances of passing a test...

simply put, a tdf transfusion schedule of 3 units in stead of 2 (as tyler has hinted at) was risky, no doubt, but was well worth it given the uci attitude and the performance benefits.

this is what i believe the armstrong/bruyneel secret was - dope to the max and let the chips fall where they may - except we count it wont be our heads...
U Chicago economics faculty came up with this economic rule:
"Armstrong division of labor"- the concept that a professional sport engages pharmaceutical enhancement as a key block in their evolution.

TRENDING THREADS