• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Yellow in Paris

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will wear yellow in Paris?

• Someone from RadioShack

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
moonstation2000 said:
Contador all the way! Schleck can't keep up with Horner on hills, still dropping his chain and can't time trial!! Just kidding but I'm rooting for Contador, I like that he races in more than just the TdF and is challenging himself this year with the double. Have to give some respect for that...

Also like cuddles as an underdog, hasn't much chance to win but will be rooting for him to maybe be top 5?

As much as it may look like you're just kidding, you're probably on to something here, I mean there are too many variables for Andy to lose, I think just like Cadel he'll find a way to fail yet another time, his two second places at the Tour for both of those rides indicate to me that they got them just by pure talent and nothing more, to champion something you need talent, and definitely a champion attitude, as much as I dislike LA, a cheater and cunning sob there is one thing I give him props, the hunger of a champion was definitely there.

Andy just because it is his time. Contador will not have that aura around him and i am quite confident Andy could have won against a full strength Contador this yr anyway. It seems also as if noone shall not not pose a threat out of the favourites also. Frank can still ride to help Andy and go well too. I feel Frank should one day target the Vuelta it should suit him. Evans for 2nd

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I really cant wait to see what happens! As has been said AC could crack under the pressure of the double, there is doubt is AS ability to get on form. Im a Cuddles fan but just cant see him winning. VDB has peaked too early, so has Wiggins and I don't believe Gesink can win.

Having said that i voted for Andy, I do think AC will tire and AS will ride into some form.

Can't wait for those July late nights!

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I think AC will have a bit of a lead on AS going into the third week and then crack. The Giro this year was very hard and i cant see him wearing yellow in Paris. Gotta be AS this year, AC for second and Evans for third.

Well if Shleck is going to win, then he will need a metamorphosis. In Switzerland, he did not impress.

After this race all those under bizzare illusions will see that Alberto, in the words of Ivan Basso, is a fuoriclasse, a rare breed chosen to produce exploits in the world of sport unthinkable for mere mortals.

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
The thing is, we've got a possibly tired Contador (who could still own the peloton), a Schleck who was quite disappointing in Suisse and has serious time-trial issues. Then we've got Evans, who just wont be able to climb with the serious guys and can't win time in the time trial either. So you'd like to think it's pretty open. Then you've got Gesink,VDB and Sanchez (would love to see them on the attack!) and the shack, wiggins et al. A pretty open race, right?

I'm beginning to think that if Sanchez, Gesink or VDB want a Tour, this might be the one!

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
I like the way the entire Radio Schlack team is lumped under one heading, as they're all riding for the same goal....:D

Normally I'd say Alberto will take it, but this year, look for Alberto to get mugged by a bunch of late 30s members of the born-again Radio Schlackers, where their new motto is " Just shy of 40 and still winning!"

Kudos to the Orange army who are either being realistic or are asleep as of this time. Nobody has voted for Gesink. Can't say the same for the Belgian hope, somebody has been drinking the bong water and sharing. Two votes? I don't get it. I will assume the one vote so far for Samu was made by Hitch.
Well we like to talk about our orange riders and you will likely hear us a lot if one of the orange riders perform well, but among the Orange army there ain't no Bavarianrider personalities :D

I expect AC to win the TdF. Let's hope it will be a fight though, but the guy is just so much better than his competition. I'm afraid he will completely dominate every GT he competes in.

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
My head says Andy will take a narrow win over a tired Alberto, my heart yearns for an Evans Win but I think he will be fighting out 3rd place with Gesink, VDB & someone from the Shack.

I'd like to say Basso, but I just can't see it this year.

I'm hoping that Bertie is tired by the Giro, but if he's on form it's hard to see past him. I'm not convinced that the Schlecklette has what it takes. And for some reason he irritates the hell out of me. Perhaps it's the floppy hair. VDB and Gesink? Not this year, I think. Radioshack? Please no, although I suppose they have to fund Lance's retirement and legal bills somehow.

I voted for Cadel, it might just be his year. Must admit it's more hope than expectation, though.

auscyclefan94 said:
Evans, it will all come together for Cadel. I am interested to know who else voted for Cadel.

I wouldn't mind if it happened and I hope it for you, but I seriously doubt it.
Cadel so far didn't impress me on the long climbs. Neither did Andy Schleck, but the difference is that Andy never does besides the TdF, while Cadel usually performs well the entire year.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Kwibus said:
I wouldn't mind if it happened and I hope it for you, but I seriously doubt it.
Cadel so far didn't impress me on the long climbs. Neither did Andy Schleck, but the difference is that Andy never does besides the TdF, while Cadel usually performs well the entire year.

I am glad that he hasn't impressed me on the climbs so far this year. Will be hard, but I think he can do it. He has definetly gained a lot of support from the forum hoping that he will win.:)

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
gatete said:
As much as it may look like you're just kidding, you're probably on to something here, I mean there are too many variables for Andy to lose, I think just like Cadel he'll find a way to fail yet another time, his two second places at the Tour for both of those rides indicate to me that they got them just by pure talent and nothing more, to champion something you need talent, and definitely a champion attitude, as much as I dislike LA, a cheater and cunning sob there is one thing I give him props, the hunger of a champion was definitely there.

Why would finishing 3rd be a fail for Evans - After 2 crap years coming back to podium would be a great result and set him up for the Vuelta which I think he has a great chance for the win - be an amazing year for him

Alberto most likely will not be as strong as in Giro, but still plenty good enough to win. TdF is much easier and he will plenty plenty of days to get his legs back before the real race begins. Saxo team should be strong for him. They were not used that hard in Giro. AC did so much of that on his own but still stayed within himself. I think it is underestimated but I believe he is so much smarter tactically than any other rider.
Andy can't be better than last year. Even if Frank doesn't crash out again. That was his big chance. He will mess up somehow again this year.
I think Andy may be targeted this year even more so than AC. Not sure though. Basso will be ready, he is a pro. Evans will be ready. And Horner will put a wrench in the works.
It will certainly be interesting. But Go ALberto.

There's only so far you can go with pity! And Wiggins is over that line.

Forgot to say, he won't win but I'd like to see Vino podium.

Of course this is all a bit theoretical. Tony Martin is going to be in yellow. ;)

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Swabian Lass said:
There's only so far you can go with pity! And Wiggins is over that line.

Forgot to say, he won't win but I'd like to see Vino podium.

Of course this is all a bit theoretical. Tony Martin is going to be in yellow. ;)

only if TGBM leaves the race :D

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Parrulo said:
imo schleck will be the strongest guy but will manage to ruin it somehow along the way losing a couple minutes on a crash or something like that.
Just occurred to me while reading that, has Contador ever crashed? I mean, I'm sure he has, but certainly seems to be a rare event.

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Going with my boy Bertie!! Had an off form win in the Tour last year see him doing it again.

I will pick unlikely podium finishers for second and third.

Hitch's Samu page has me hoping Samu for silver and I will go with a Rabo rider for bronze, not sure which one. Rabo will repay leOpard Trek for the Tour de Suisse tactics.