Your local weather

Page 38 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sunny, mid-80s, lots of headwind wherever I ride (naturally), but this is so much preferable to the heatwave we had last week.

It does make me sad to look at how little water is left in the Delta Ponds right now, hope the wild birds (even though they get in my way and hiss at me) will find a way to survive this drought.
 
Was sunny earlier today, about 84F, naturally had a headwind... and had an absolutely *** ride with my dad due to mechanicals.

He had issues with his rear derailleur (which I tried to fix on the spot), I had issues with my rear brakes (which I tried to fix on the spot)... it was merely a patch job I was doing, but we were able to get back home without any further crap happening.

So once we got back to home base I naturally had to go and fix all these problems - I honestly cannot see how I could even sleep if I hadn't even tried to fix this ***! (It's all fixed now.)

PS - There were some very nice fellow bicycle people on the trail who had asked me if I needed any help at the time, I thought that was very cool of them. :cool:
 
They have been predicting rain in my area for over a week now, all we got today was just a tiny little drop of it. :(

Apparently at least the firefighters who are fighting all these wildfires were happy about this... bless their hearts, I can't even imagine what would compel a person to want to do their kind of job.
 
Re:

jmdirt said:
Cooler, but the smoke fro mthe surrounding fires has rolled into the valley...yuk!
You guys gonna be alright where you're at? (No need to evacuate and such...)

We're okay in Eugene, but because of all the surrounding wildfires (and no rain to speak of in the near future) the air quality is definitely crap.
 
First winds of fall arrived today, a decidedly cooler breeze from NE. Its normal here, that since mid-August, even with the most pleasant sunny weather there is an unmistakable feel of arriving autumn in the air. From about this until mid-October, when last leaves fall from trees, is usually my favourite part of the year.
 
Re: Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
jmdirt said:
Cooler, but the smoke fro mthe surrounding fires has rolled into the valley...yuk!
You guys gonna be alright where you're at? (No need to evacuate and such...)

We're okay in Eugene, but because of all the surrounding wildfires (and no rain to speak of in the near future) the air quality is definitely crap.
I'm 50 miles east of the (300,000 acre!) desert fire and 80 miles south of a forest fire. Plus there are few other small burns going as well. There is also one raging about 250 miles north, but we aren't getting that smoke.
 
Re: Re:

jmdirt said:
I'm 50 miles east of the (300,000 acre!) desert fire and 80 miles south of a forest fire. Plus there are few other small burns going as well. There is also one raging about 250 miles north, but we aren't getting that smoke.
50 miles ain't that much if you've got the wrong kind of wind blowing in extremely dry conditions.

Do you have a plan A, B, C, etc., figured out in case you need to evacuate?
 
Re: Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
jmdirt said:
I'm 50 miles east of the (300,000 acre!) desert fire and 80 miles south of a forest fire. Plus there are few other small burns going as well. There is also one raging about 250 miles north, but we aren't getting that smoke.
50 miles ain't that much if you've got the wrong kind of wind blowing in extremely dry conditions.

Do you have a plan A, B, C, etc., figured out in case you need to evacuate?
It has to burn across downtown to get to me so all of that cement/blacktop makes a pretty good fire line. But, if needed, plan A is get out and drive like hell!
 
Re: Re:

jmdirt said:
It has to burn across downtown to get to me so all of that cement/blacktop makes a pretty good fire line. But, if needed, plan A is get out and drive like hell!
Glad you at least have a plan A. :cool:

Sunny here, windy, currently about 99F/37+C, I'm tempted to say *** this ***! However...

The sunflowers and tomato plants seem to be enjoying this kind of weather, so whatever, at least some kind of living things seem to thrive in this crap. (Providing I give them just an occasional bit of water.)
 
Mar 16, 2009
19,486
0
0
75.4 °F
Feels Like 77 °F
N9.0
Wind from SW
Gusts 13.0 mph
Today is forecast to be MUCH WARMER than yesterday.
Today
High 77 | Low 64 °F
0% Chance of Precip.

Popotla Fishing Village about 8km up the road






 
Thankfully we got a reprieve from the heat today - it was about 80F, sunny, headwind at the time I went for a ride.

Had somebody tailing me while going up and over the Delta Pond bridge - couldn't tell whether it was a man or woman, but I just kept my pace & line and didn't let it freak me out. (They were probably just engaging in some wheelsucking, but I still felt good about coming down the bridge [albeit somewhat clumsily], first. So there.)
 
88F, somewhat sunny, terrible haze and stench in the air because of the winds coming from where ever the wildfires are. (At first I thought I needed cataract surgery, but upon checking an air quality website I realized the air here is really that bad.)

No way am I riding in this, so being I'm currently house-sitting for a neighbor who has a neat old Motobecane 10-speed he never rides anymore in the woodshed I'll drag it into the living room and see what kind of tune-ups it needs. That should keep me mirthfully busy for a while.
 
Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
who has a neat old Motobecane 10-speed he never rides anymore in the woodshed I'll drag it into the living room and see what kind of tune-ups it needs. That should keep me mirthfully busy for a while.
And when mere man/woman power fails just use that butter flavored Pam on that seat that is not a quick release and has not been adjusted for years - PAM works just as well as WD-40, but is much kinder to the human. (At least that is what I'm led to believe.) If nothing else at least it smells buttery!


And just so I don't derail this thread too badly - the air out there in my area is still crap. Every woman, man, dog, cat, and especially the elderly - please stay inside!
 
Re:

BigMac said:
Good lookin' ride TriCy.

And thank you for reminding me of Eddie Rabbitt. Here's how it is in Lisbon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ1GQFtHGxU
It is a cool little bike, about the only problem it has is it needs new tires. I'd be happy to buy new ones if I thought my neighbor would ride the bike regularly, but seeing as he will probably just toss it back into the woodshed when he gets back I'm not willing to make that kind of investment.

Rain in the forecast here for the weekend, I'll believe it when I see it. (I'm going to be dancing naked in the streets when it does finally rain!)
 
37°C, modest wind (4 m/s), clear blue skies.
Long hot summer just doesn't give up.
But in a nice shade everything's better.



The frog perspective is 'cause I'm lying under the tree... "meditating" after the ride in the heat.
 
Mar 16, 2009
19,486
0
0
Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
Right, so all this miserable heat and sun has gotten me so far are these two tiny little tomatoes?

(If you are a fellow gardener you will understand.)

Yeah my watermelons are sickly. we were without water for over a week during a heatwave.

The tomatoes and figs are happy along with the blackberry bush

 
Re: Re:

krebs303 said:
Yeah my watermelons are sickly. we were without water for over a week during a heatwave.

The tomatoes and figs are happy along with the blackberry bush

Nice crop, krebby! Whatcha gonna do with all that?

Most of my tomatoes are still green, and being summer is quickly coming to a close here (temp dropped suddenly from the 90s into the 70s) they will probably stay that way.

Am not fond of fried green tomatoes, so I will put them into a cardboard box, expose them to as much indoor light as possible, and see if they'll ripen on their own over the winter . (Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. Haven't quite perfected this technique yet.)
 
Re:

sir fly said:
37°C, modest wind (4 m/s), clear blue skies.
Long hot summer just doesn't give up.
But in a nice shade everything's better.



The frog perspective is 'cause I'm lying under the tree... "meditating" after the ride in the heat.
That's pretty damn hot, am not surprised you were "meditating" under a tree after the ride. :p
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY