• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Your local weather

Page 52 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

ebandit said:
snow?...here in chilly NE of england yesterday temp reached 17c.....................and down in wales temp of 20.3c was recorded
new highest recorded winter temp for uk

and still it's been dryer than average.....................
For the second day in a row it's been dumping very heavy and wet snow here in Eugene, we're not used to this.

Besides having to shovel the white stuff I naturally had to build a snowman, but also, and tragically, somewhere under all this is one of my bikes. At least it's a cheapy one, so I'm not too worried about it.

qn8si8.jpg

ka36z6.jpg

Re: Re:

sir fly said:
Koronin said:
The weather fluctuating the way it is is playing havoc with my sinuses. If it would either get cold and stay cold or warm up and stay warm I'd be much happier.
How about getting warm and freeze like that?

Two weeks ago in three days we had winter, summer and monsoon season. Yesterday in the 70's and this morning it was right around freezing. (Sorry don't know the conversion from F to C.)

On Tuesday and Wednesday i've registered +22,8°C and +22,4°C, the two highest maximum temperatures for february since i've started to record data (and with more than two degrees of margin on the previous record).

A lot of february records had fallen even in 100+ years long series, i've read that considering all Europe the records fallen are thousands but it's not something new in recent years.

Here a recap of a dear friend of mine with the records fallen in Tuscany:
*Tuesday https://www.facebook.com/TemperatureEstremeToscana/posts/2167138116686993
*Wednesday https://www.facebook.com/TemperatureEstremeToscana/posts/2168548516545953

Thoughts with people in Oklahoma today -
https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/fort-worth/article230605479.html#storylink=cpy
The Storm Prediction Center placed those areas under a high risk (5 on a scale of 5) for super cell storms.

“An outbreak of tornadoes, some potentially long-track and violent, is expected today into this evening over portions of northwest Texas into western and central Oklahoma,” the Storm Prediction Center forecast said. “More isolated but still potentially dangerous severe weather, including tornadoes and destructive winds and hail, is possible in surrounding parts of Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Arkansas.”

The Storm Prediction Center warned everyone in those areas to be prepared to take cover.

Weather forecasts mean almost nothing! I planned my entire day around the "0% chance of rain" window in the weather. 15 minutes into my ride, it started pouring...not just sprinkling, Fn pouring. I get it that even though 5, 10, 15% is low and it probably shouldn't rain, there is still a slight chance. 0% means that there is no chance, let alone pouring rain for an extended time. Other than "poor me", this is serious. People who enjoy the outdoors use weather forecast to plan their lives. If we can't count on them, they should be eliminated (especially the ones that receive public money), or at the very least fined when they are off (most of the time). Mental health is a serious problem in our society and many people use outdoor physical activity to help their moods. Needless to say, my mood is not good now.

That being said, at least my life, home, etc. have not been taken by extreme weather.

Finally the storms are gone.....2 days with 4 Tornado Warnings:Take Shelter Immediately. Thank goodness, for me, only a baby twister touched down 10 miles from me. Not good for the people and houses in it's path. I'm almost 69 years old and this is the First Time in my life tornados have been in this vicinity. But Climate Change is only a Hoax--NOT!

Re:

rick james said:
Central Scotland has been depressing over the last few weeks, it’s rained a lot, we had 3 days there where is rained for 3 days solid, it’s bloody 2 weeks away from the summer solstice and you’d think it was March
When I cycled around Scotland in 1979 there was rain 17 days in a row. Beautiful though.

frenchfry said:
rick james said:
Central Scotland has been depressing over the last few weeks, it’s rained a lot, we had 3 days there where is rained for 3 days solid, it’s bloody 2 weeks away from the summer solstice and you’d think it was March
When I cycled around Scotland in 1979 there was rain 17 days in a row. Beautiful though.
Aye and I bet that was summer time

rick james said:
frenchfry said:
rick james said:
Aye and I bet that was summer time
August. Summer in most of the northern hemisphere at least!

This week is going to be a bloodbath in western Europe, the +25 isotherm at 850 hPa going as north as the channel and taking almost all France is an unseen, local models see up to +30 at 850 hPa in southern France, something that would be very extreme and close to records also in southern Spain that is usually the hottest are due to vicinity to the Sahara, and up to +28 at 850 hPa in NW Italy where at the sounding site of Levaldigi the all time record is +25,2°C registered only two years ago (the 3rd of august).

4FVA3dJ.png

Will be interestesting (for who like data and statistics, a nightmare for who has to endure) to see what is going to happen at the ground level, with the right circunstamces i can see temperatures exceeding 45°C in southern French and 40°C in nothern French and nothern Italy meaning that a lot of record are up for grabs, very rare for june considering that almost everywhere the all time records are spreaded between july and august and especially between the second half of july and the first hal of august that usually are the hottest part of the european summer.

We had 37 °C in Heidelberg, south-west Germany today. Well, it's still 36 so no necessity to speak about the past. The temperature is not expected to drop below 30 until 11 pm. Luckily, this should be the hottest day of this particular heat wave, although it will stay in the 30s for the next days.
Hard to believe that our max temperature today will be the lowest night temperature in Basra, Iraq tonight. They had 50 °C today.

Central Scotland has been roasting the last few days, I've been out cycling the last 2 nights and its safe to say you wont be seeing me anytime soon in the Alps, The Pyrenees, or anywhere really south of London that's warm....cycling in hot weather isn't for me...if I ever go a cycling holiday it will be to Norway

From Meteo France:

Le précédent record absolu de température en France de 44,1 °C à Conqueyrac dans le Gard le 12 août 2003 a été battu cet après-midi dans plusieures stations.

45,9 °C à Gallargues-le-Montueux (30)
45,4 °C à Villevieille (30)
45,1 °C à Marsillargues (34)
44,6 °C à Saint-Chamas (13)
44,5 °C à Varages (83)
44,4 °C à Nîmes-Courbessac (30), battant de très loin son ancien record absolu historique (41,6 °C le 4 août 2017 et le 9 août 1923).
44,4 °C à Peyrolles-en-Provence (13)
44,3 °C à Moules-et-Baucels (34)
44,3 °C à Vinon-sur-Verdon (83)
44,3 °C à Carpentras (84)
44,3 °C à Istres (13)
44,3 °C à Moules-et-Baucels (34)
Des valeurs exceptionnelles

Dans ce flux du sud saharien, de nombreuses villes de France ont subi vendredi des températures exceptionnelles, jamais mesurée tous mois confondus.

Quelques records absolus ce vendredi (non exhaustif):

42,5 °C à Montpellier aéroport (34) (station ouverte en 1946). Ancien record : 37,7 °C le 04/08/2017;
42,4 °C à Perpignan (66), ouverte en 1924,. Ancien record absolu : 40,5 °C le 07/07/1982;
42 °C à Aix-en-Provence (13), ouverte en 1955. Ancien record : 40,2 °C le 26/07/1983;
40,9 °C à Aigues-Mortes (30), ouverte en 1959. Ancien record : 38,9 °C le 21/06/2003;
29,9 °C au Mont Aigoual (30, 1567m), ouverte en 1896. Ancien record : 29,4 °C le 09/08/1923;
39,7 °C à Beziers-Vias (34), ouverte en 1994. Ancien record : 39,1 °C du 04/08/2018.

Notice the almost 5°C carnage in Montpellier.

Yeah, sticky conditions and warm nights, those are the real pain-in-the-a**. A week or so ago, they predicted some of that super-warm 850 hPa air would be here, meaning Tmin of 25 °C and dew points of 23-24 °C. Luckily, we got a breeze from the North Sea instead, with ideal summer conditions (Tmax of 26-27 °C, dew points and Tmin around 12 °C). Warmer today and tomorrow, but then turning to fairly normal. Still no precipitation foreseen though, that's becoming a worry (again).

TRENDING THREADS