Your local weather

Page 50 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
Koronin said:
It appears Hurricane Florence is headed for us. Landfall is currently expected a bit south of where I live.
I take it you've already evacuated?

Keep us (or at least me, though we don't know each other at all) posted!
Not yet. Thursday. We're headed to Charlotte. Charlotte is likely to be impacted, but by the time it gets there it'll be something they've dealt with before and we've been through when we lived there. Had to find a hotel that is pet friendly. We have 3 cats and won't leave them. We still have some stuff to do before we can leave to secure things outside and then pack and make sure we've got everything we specifically need.

Good news on the hurricane front is that it now appears it'll hit at a Cat 3 instead of a Cat 4 (always good news) and hit at low tide instead of high tide. Those two things will cut down on the damage. Hopefully won't have to be gone for too long.
 
Re: Re:

Koronin said:
Not yet. Thursday. We're headed to Charlotte. Charlotte is likely to be impacted, but by the time it gets there it'll be something they've dealt with before and we've been through when we lived there. Had to find a hotel that is pet friendly. We have 3 cats and won't leave them. We still have some stuff to do before we can leave to secure things outside and then pack and make sure we've got everything we specifically need.

Good news on the hurricane front is that it now appears it'll hit at a Cat 3 instead of a Cat 4 (always good news) and hit at low tide instead of high tide. Those two things will cut down on the damage. Hopefully won't have to be gone for too long.
I know some people from a part of South Carolina where alligators and snakes are part of the normal scenery (eeeek!), would hate to think what they will find on their front porch once they return from the evacuation.

Anyhoo, good luck to you all!
 
Re: Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
Koronin said:
Not yet. Thursday. We're headed to Charlotte. Charlotte is likely to be impacted, but by the time it gets there it'll be something they've dealt with before and we've been through when we lived there. Had to find a hotel that is pet friendly. We have 3 cats and won't leave them. We still have some stuff to do before we can leave to secure things outside and then pack and make sure we've got everything we specifically need.

Good news on the hurricane front is that it now appears it'll hit at a Cat 3 instead of a Cat 4 (always good news) and hit at low tide instead of high tide. Those two things will cut down on the damage. Hopefully won't have to be gone for too long.
I know some people from a part of South Carolina where alligators and snakes are part of the normal scenery (eeeek!), would hate to think what they will find on their front porch once they return from the evacuation.

Anyhoo, good luck to you all!
Thank you. Yeah that would not be nice to come home to. Although I think I'd rather find an alligator on my porch than my house broken into.
 
Re: Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
Koronin said:
We evacuated today. We're in Charlotte. Hopefully storm goes through soon and we can get back home soon.
You still got the kitties with you?

The wife and the kids are a given, but do you still have the kitties?

Yep kitties are with us. No way we were leaving them. Actually it's husband and we don't have kids. (Yeah, I'm one of the small number of female sports fans. :) ) Funny enough the two things I brought that weren't needed/neccessary are Valverde's biography (which I need google translate to read), and my autographed picture of him. I wasn't taking any chances leaving those home. Wanted to bring some other things, but not much room when you need to pack cats and really have limited space even with two cars.
 
Re: Re:

Koronin said:
Tricycle Rider said:
Koronin said:
It NEED to Fing STOP raining at the coast so the water can recede and let the flooding stop.

We really need to be able to ship this water to the west coast were it's actually needed.
I take it you still got the husband and the kitties then?

Yes.
Apologies if I'm being obnoxious.

You still got the Vuelta coverage where you are at? (After many heartfelt hellos to each other and to the fans the riders are finally starting to race the last stage now. I think.)

Never mind - the top riders are still taking selfies, but any minute now I'm sure somebody will start racing. (They've got another 80k to go according to my TV reception, so this is understandable.)
 
Re: Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
Koronin said:
Tricycle Rider said:
Koronin said:
It NEED to Fing STOP raining at the coast so the water can recede and let the flooding stop.

We really need to be able to ship this water to the west coast were it's actually needed.
I take it you still got the husband and the kitties then?

Yes.
Apologies if I'm being obnoxious.

You still got the Vuelta coverage where you are at? (After many heartfelt hellos to each other and to the fans the riders are finally starting to race the last stage now. I think.)

Never mind - the top riders are still taking selfies, but any minute now I'm sure somebody will start racing. (They've got another 80k to go according to my TV reception, so this is understandable.)

I don't know when NBCSports is showing today's coverage. Yesterday's stage was shown at 1am. I did not stay up for it. I will not watch my boy suffer like he did yesterday. Esp with everything else going on I couldn't handle watching him suffer that badly. After yesterday I don't care at all about today's stage. Will what whatever football game we get and watch the Indy Car race this afternoon.
 
Re: Re:

Koronin said:
I don't know when NBCSports is showing today's coverage. Yesterday's stage was shown at 1am. I did not stay up for it. I will not watch my boy suffer like he did yesterday. Esp with everything else going on I couldn't handle watching him suffer that badly. After yesterday I don't care at all about today's stage. Will what whatever football game we get and watch the Indy Car race this afternoon.
Understood.

(Still 1k to go, something is dangerously close to happening now!)
 
Re: Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
Koronin said:
I don't know when NBCSports is showing today's coverage. Yesterday's stage was shown at 1am. I did not stay up for it. I will not watch my boy suffer like he did yesterday. Esp with everything else going on I couldn't handle watching him suffer that badly. After yesterday I don't care at all about today's stage. Will what whatever football game we get and watch the Indy Car race this afternoon.
Understood.

(Still 1k to go, something is dangerously close to happening now!)

Some good news, it's stopped raining and much of the flood water that was on many of the roads has receded. There is currently 1 road closure that will prevent us from going home. Once that road is open we should be able to get home. The hope is to go home on Tuesday.
 
After the hurricane a lot of people are being denied FEMA benefits that are in areas that are currently very difficult to impossible to get and out of. From what I have heard Wilmington, NC is still only accessible by helicopter or boat. The east coast of NC currently does not have much in the way of gas or supplies and many areas are still flooded with rivers cresting tonight. Good thing it is possible to get into where I live and gas tanker trucks are starting to get in and at least one grocery store got a truck in today. Supposedly we have power in my neighborhood. However, it appears the entire city is without internet/cable.
 
Home, house survived without a few shingles missing. Tree has broken and fallen in the back yard. Some of the fence needs fixed/replaced. We have power and internet. Tomorrow I will try to get back to work. Find out which stores are open and what gas stations have gas. From what I heard it sounds like more and more shipments are coming in. The roads we took to get in are free of both water and debris.
 
Re:

Koronin said:
Home, house survived without a few shingles missing. Tree has broken and fallen in the back yard. Some of the fence needs fixed/replaced. We have power and internet. Tomorrow I will try to get back to work. Find out which stores are open and what gas stations have gas. From what I heard it sounds like more and more shipments are coming in. The roads we took to get in are free of both water and debris.
Glad to hear no major damage! :)
 
Re: Re:

Robert5091 said:
Koronin said:
Home, house survived without a few shingles missing. Tree has broken and fallen in the back yard. Some of the fence needs fixed/replaced. We have power and internet. Tomorrow I will try to get back to work. Find out which stores are open and what gas stations have gas. From what I heard it sounds like more and more shipments are coming in. The roads we took to get in are free of both water and debris.
Glad to hear no major damage! :)

Thank you. :) :)
 
Re:

Koronin said:
Home, house survived without a few shingles missing. Tree has broken and fallen in the back yard. Some of the fence needs fixed/replaced. We have power and internet. Tomorrow I will try to get back to work. Find out which stores are open and what gas stations have gas. From what I heard it sounds like more and more shipments are coming in. The roads we took to get in are free of both water and debris.
Awesome!

You, the husband and the kitties will be okay then?

Apparently Wilmington, NC got the worst of it...
 
Re: Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
Koronin said:
Home, house survived without a few shingles missing. Tree has broken and fallen in the back yard. Some of the fence needs fixed/replaced. We have power and internet. Tomorrow I will try to get back to work. Find out which stores are open and what gas stations have gas. From what I heard it sounds like more and more shipments are coming in. The roads we took to get in are free of both water and debris.
Awesome!

You, the husband and the kitties will be okay then?

Apparently Wilmington, NC got the worst of it...

Yes, we're going to fine. Overall we suffered minimal damage. Had to throw some stuff out from the freezer and fridge. Many stores are open although limited hours. Grocery stores don't have produce, refrigerated or frozen yet (or when they do they sell out immediately), restaurants are working on limited menus. Gas stations seem to most be back at full capacity. One is most likely not reopening due to it being in a flood zone and it was really flooded. Here's a link to a video. The gas station shown is a couple miles from our house. https://www.facebook.com/sunnews/videos/707607099591740/?hc_ref=ARSg1y6xGUe4dXf52EL2vRlOW6Rx_RHIf1mqoFtD1fxwmv5bYlduO2KMODLSrbT9dYQ&__xts__[0]=68.ARAfqPRgOjOAFMfnKz_BDQvW_ohjMEt-uzGq6oufLMB9EN5yx4LnqpqsGpDWDTJ8nDcL673uDes4bVdNHJdAt7Moce5HZRmtsriYU5igdSGdwYYk5W-boo63xLeCGdxhecU0WKDxWPeFRfcZ-bSA0RJaaBTuH0Tw0cgTQpKB4mNcysx3QGm2oHY&__tn__=FC-R
 
Glad you're okay. I know someone in Willmington, I thought he and partner were going to leave, but saw on FB that they stayed, and that his mother's partner was in hospital (and she was with him), so I hope all are okay and that their house (and the hospital) all fared well in the storm.
 
Re:

dusty red roads said:
Glad you're okay. I know someone in Willmington, I thought he and partner were going to leave, but saw on FB that they stayed, and that his mother's partner was in hospital (and she was with him), so I hope all are okay and that their house (and the hospital) all fared well in the storm.
Thank you.

I hope so as well.

Today there is finally one route opened into Wilmington. The only way in or out by vehicle is hwy 17. I-40 into Wilmington is still flooded.
 
Glad to hear there's at least one route open now. Hopefully we'll see my friend back on social media once things settle down a bit. I know he wasn't on the coast, so hoping he's on higher ground and not flooded.
 
With one route open, they'll start getting supplies in.
Hope all is well and your friend will be back on social media again soon.
We did find one more problem with the house. It appears water got into the attic over the garage as there is evidence of water on the garage ceiling. Also the plug on the ceiling the garage door opener is plugged into isn't work. We're going to plug the door opener into another outlet and see if it's still working or not and get up in the attic to see what the damage up there is. At this point we are going to open an insurance claim without insurance company and see what happens. Maybe they'll approve a new roof to get it up to code after the minor damage to it. That happened with our neighbors. Their insurance approved a new roof due to some minor damage and shingles needed to be brought up to code.
 
Update to the above. Not leak in the roof. Water came in where the attic vent is at. Also reset the fuse at the plug (many of our plugs have fuses) and everything in the garage is working again.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY