• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Your local weather

Page 50 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
After the hurricane a lot of people are being denied FEMA benefits that are in areas that are currently very difficult to impossible to get and out of. From what I have heard Wilmington, NC is still only accessible by helicopter or boat. The east coast of NC currently does not have much in the way of gas or supplies and many areas are still flooded with rivers cresting tonight. Good thing it is possible to get into where I live and gas tanker trucks are starting to get in and at least one grocery store got a truck in today. Supposedly we have power in my neighborhood. However, it appears the entire city is without internet/cable.

Home, house survived without a few shingles missing. Tree has broken and fallen in the back yard. Some of the fence needs fixed/replaced. We have power and internet. Tomorrow I will try to get back to work. Find out which stores are open and what gas stations have gas. From what I heard it sounds like more and more shipments are coming in. The roads we took to get in are free of both water and debris.

Re:

Koronin said:
Home, house survived without a few shingles missing. Tree has broken and fallen in the back yard. Some of the fence needs fixed/replaced. We have power and internet. Tomorrow I will try to get back to work. Find out which stores are open and what gas stations have gas. From what I heard it sounds like more and more shipments are coming in. The roads we took to get in are free of both water and debris.

Glad to hear no major damage! :)

Re: Re:

Robert5091 said:
Koronin said:

Glad to hear no major damage! :)

Thank you. :) :)

Re:

Koronin said:
Awesome!

You, the husband and the kitties will be okay then?

Apparently Wilmington, NC got the worst of it...

Tricycle Rider said:
Koronin said:
Awesome!

You, the husband and the kitties will be okay then?

Apparently Wilmington, NC got the worst of it...

Yes, we're going to fine. Overall we suffered minimal damage. Had to throw some stuff out from the freezer and fridge. Many stores are open although limited hours. Grocery stores don't have produce, refrigerated or frozen yet (or when they do they sell out immediately), restaurants are working on limited menus. Gas stations seem to most be back at full capacity. One is most likely not reopening due to it being in a flood zone and it was really flooded. Here's a link to a video. The gas station shown is a couple miles from our house. https://www.facebook.com/sunnews/videos/707607099591740/?hc_ref=ARSg1y6xGUe4dXf52EL2vRlOW6Rx_RHIf1mqoFtD1fxwmv5bYlduO2KMODLSrbT9dYQ&__xts__[0]=68.ARAfqPRgOjOAFMfnKz_BDQvW_ohjMEt-uzGq6oufLMB9EN5yx4LnqpqsGpDWDTJ8nDcL673uDes4bVdNHJdAt7Moce5HZRmtsriYU5igdSGdwYYk5W-boo63xLeCGdxhecU0WKDxWPeFRfcZ-bSA0RJaaBTuH0Tw0cgTQpKB4mNcysx3QGm2oHY&__tn__=FC-R

Glad you're okay. I know someone in Willmington, I thought he and partner were going to leave, but saw on FB that they stayed, and that his mother's partner was in hospital (and she was with him), so I hope all are okay and that their house (and the hospital) all fared well in the storm.

Re:

dusty red roads said:
Glad you're okay. I know someone in Willmington, I thought he and partner were going to leave, but saw on FB that they stayed, and that his mother's partner was in hospital (and she was with him), so I hope all are okay and that their house (and the hospital) all fared well in the storm.

Thank you.

I hope so as well.

Today there is finally one route opened into Wilmington. The only way in or out by vehicle is hwy 17. I-40 into Wilmington is still flooded.

With one route open, they'll start getting supplies in.
Hope all is well and your friend will be back on social media again soon.
We did find one more problem with the house. It appears water got into the attic over the garage as there is evidence of water on the garage ceiling. Also the plug on the ceiling the garage door opener is plugged into isn't work. We're going to plug the door opener into another outlet and see if it's still working or not and get up in the attic to see what the damage up there is. At this point we are going to open an insurance claim without insurance company and see what happens. Maybe they'll approve a new roof to get it up to code after the minor damage to it. That happened with our neighbors. Their insurance approved a new roof due to some minor damage and shingles needed to be brought up to code.

Re:

Koronin said:
Update to the above. Not leak in the roof. Water came in where the attic vent is at. Also reset the fuse at the plug (many of our plugs have fuses) and everything in the garage is working again.
That's great news! Hope your insurance claim goes through for any other damages your house may have sustained.

Here in Eugene it's about 66F and it's trying to rain, this summer we broke a record on days without rain. Unlike the fine folk on the east coast we could really use a decent downpour right about now, the air is just foul!

Tricycle Rider said:
Koronin said:
Update to the above. Not leak in the roof. Water came in where the attic vent is at. Also reset the fuse at the plug (many of our plugs have fuses) and everything in the garage is working again.
That's great news! Hope your insurance claim goes through for any other damages your house may have sustained.

Here in Eugene it's about 66F and it's trying to rain, this summer we broke a record on days without rain. Unlike the fine folk on the east coast we could really use a decent downpour right about now, the air is just foul!

We aren't going to bother with an insurance claim. Too high of a deductible with named storms. What it'll cost to fix stuff won't come close to what the deductible is.
We have another system not off the cost that is headed for us. From the looks it's just going to bring thunderstorms. Believe me, I'd be more than happy to send it to all of you on the other cost.

Yesterday and today nice and sunny to get recovery efforts started.

One interesting note is that the Food Network sent their food trucks to Wilmington to help feed people there.

They say that a vital way to help an economy bounce back after a disaster is to visit,spend your tourist dollars to stimulate a full,fast recovery..I can tell you that North Carolina has everything...OK maybe their surfing is So-so..but hunting,fishing,sailing,camping hiking,road biking,mountain climbing and biking are all great! If you love sailing,paddle boarding or golf...North Carolina has it...If you like mountains...this place won't disappoint...if you don't like any of those things..go to NC to eat and drink!! Good beer and spirits made in the state...

Charlotte, Raleigh, and Wilmington also have some really nice museums. The Seafood Festival has been postponed due to the Hurricane. It was scheduled for the first weekend of Oct, but they are moving it due to allowing for more time to recover. They are hoping to have it the first weekend of Nov.
The Battleship North Carolina is a museum in Wilmington.

However just give us a little more time to recover first as of yesterday there was still only one open route into Wilmington and that was Hwy 17 through Jacksonville. I-40 was not yet open.

Re:

Unchained said:
i read today that there are still dangerous water levels on some rivers in N and S Carolina...hope it will be over soon

There is, and still flooding in some areas. Don't know how soon it will be over as it was raining here today. Did not need more rain. Really wish we could ship some of it to the west where they need it.

TRENDING THREADS