• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Zipp 303 Cyclocross Tubular Wheels and Pros

Mar 17, 2009
web.mac.com
Wheel sponsor changes

LugHugger said:
Of course they're switching, TW rode FSA's ffs last year and they're a POS. KC switched because her sponsors pulled out and she needs hoops to race. This is how pro cycling works. :rolleyes:

Katie's title sponsor pulled out due to a financial decision, they also dropped their motocross team sponsorship, Katie was part of the fall out. Katie's change to a new wheel sponsor was not due a decision by her former wheel sponsor or loss of title sponsor. It's no different than CyclocrossWorld.com riders changing to a new wheel sponsor.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
kiwi, thanks for clarifying. i was making the point that switching to 303's is hardly a tough decision. if i could, i would, as would almost every cross rider i've spoken to last weekend at cross camp. most of us can only afford to ride nemesis' though. they rock!

Mar 17, 2009
web.mac.com
303's

Sorry I've been a little sensitive to the information out there regarding Katie's sponsorship. There's been some misinformation out there both unintended and intended.
I tested the 303's earlier this summer after a successful test of the Zipp Vuma quad crankset. The 303's are outstanding wheel and almost revolutionary. There will be a real shift to this rim profile by other manufacturers in the future.

I discovered there's increased traction and control in loose dry sand and loose gravel. This is down to the increased footprint by the rim on the tires. It's like having a wider foot to stand on. The braking surface is very good and with Zipp's new cork pads I'm finally satisfied with the braking in dry and wet conditions. Overall, I'm super impressed with how strong the rims are, I had the opportunity to slam the rim into concrete edges and they heldup fine. I was brutal on the rims because I wanted to make sure the rims were not going to suffer from impact damage like other older models would constantly suffer. The hubs are also equally impressive because quite honestly Zipp has never had a great rep for bomber hubs. Notso now, the hubs feel as good as my other favorite hubs and possibly better than DT 190's.

This is looking like a huge Zipp advertisement, but we still have the ability to select our components and if the wheels were not up to our requirements we wouldn't run them for the season. We've discovered if the equipment is not up to the task racing in Belgium then the results don't come.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
kiwi, again thanks for the insight. i was at Roubaix January this year yelling support for Katie (and all the other English speakers). I certainly didn't mean to imply that any sponsors pulled out through lack of achievements by Katie last year. That would be a tough gig if it were true!

Bonne chance et a donf, Katie!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Kiwivelo said:
Sorry I've been a little sensitive to the information out there regarding Katie's sponsorship. There's been some misinformation out there both unintended and intended.
I tested the 303's earlier this summer after a successful test of the Zipp Vuma quad crankset. The 303's are outstanding wheel and almost revolutionary. There will be a real shift to this rim profile by other manufacturers in the future.

I discovered there's increased traction and control in loose dry sand and loose gravel. This is down to the increased footprint by the rim on the tires. It's like having a wider foot to stand on. The braking surface is very good and with Zipp's new cork pads I'm finally satisfied with the braking in dry and wet conditions. Overall, I'm super impressed with how strong the rims are, I had the opportunity to slam the rim into concrete edges and they heldup fine. I was brutal on the rims because I wanted to make sure the rims were not going to suffer from impact damage like other older models would constantly suffer. The hubs are also equally impressive because quite honestly Zipp has never had a great rep for bomber hubs. Notso now, the hubs feel as good as my other favorite hubs and possibly better than DT 190's.

This is looking like a huge Zipp advertisement, but we still have the ability to select our components and if the wheels were not up to our requirements we wouldn't run them for the season. We've discovered if the equipment is not up to the task racing in Belgium then the results don't come.

Funny when i read this thread i didnt get the impression that Katie only rode Zipps because of sponsorship.
My impression was that everyone would ride Zipps if they could afford them
My personal experience was in the early 90s i was on LA sheriffs club team went in to see the mechanics after the Tour DuPont and asked how the new zipp 340s(early version of 303s) held up on the rough roads back east.
Turns out they did not have one failure. Coors Light and some of the other teams had very bad luck with another manufacturers carbon wheels so through good sportsmanship the sheriffs loaned out their spares so some other teams could finish the race as they had run out of wheels.
Back then the Zipps were probably overbuilt because they wore like iron.
I still race on one of those sets from over 13 years ago...

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
I dream of racing cx on something like a 303!

The difference between clinchers and tubs makes me happy, but these kind of wheels would be a dream :)

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
If I had a sponsor and a mechanic, 303 tubulars would be about my first choice. As a rank amature that has some fun but doesn't race, handbuilts with Salsa cross rims and record hubs and a set of clincher Jets have proven to be a good multi-purpose setup.