¡Adiós!

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I was referring to two articles that appeared on the CN website in the last three days - The first article was a patched up news article which showed parts of Roche's retirement statement from his instagram account, while the second article was a long-form interview with Shane Stokes. Why don't you ask Cycling News where they sourced the article ? Media platfoms often share news stories, so effectively not every article on CN is written by a CN journalist.

I was surprised at Roche's retirement announcement as he always expressed an interest in riding until his 40 which was mentioned in the Stokes article - I surmised that the main driver behind Roche's retirement was no compelling contract offer on the table which was strongly suggested in the Stokes article.

Anyway that's my opinion and I'll let you worry about silly names and memes.
I think the Stokes article said something like “talks didn’t get far,” which suggested to me that he would like to continue, but the offers coming in, and what he was looking for, were too far apart.

It's sad to see the riders of my generation all retiring. If I didn't have the Irish guys to cheer for in my early days of watching I don't think I would have tuned in to the TdF long enough to become a full time cycling fan.

I know more than enough about cycling now to be able to find new riders to love but seeing Martin win at the top level which is rare for the Irish in any sport and I couldn't care about Nico's results watching him plough away for TdF top 10s at little AG2R is how I learned cycling is about more than doped up Texans.

I don't think anyone who comes along in cycling will ever be as special to me personally as Nico and Dan
I came in at the tail years of Kelly and Roche, and cycling probably wouldn’t have been as available in Ireland without them, but it was the Indurain/Chiapucci years that really got me into the sport, and then Pantani and Ullrich. There’s always another hero coming down the road in cycling…

Reactions: Sandisfan
I came in at the tail years of Kelly and Roche, and cycling probably wouldn’t have been as available in Ireland without them, but it was the Indurain/Chiapucci years that really got me into the sport, and then Pantani and Ullrich. There’s always another hero coming down the road in cycling…
I have definitely been able to find my own heros based on panache, riding style etc. it just wouldn't have happened without Nico Roche in particular

Matteo Pelucchi will ride his last race as a pro today.
I was surprised he got back to a WT team for a final go round after the last couple of years, if you look at that mini-renaissance in 2019 with Androni, it's almost all in the far-flung Asia Tour races like Langkawi and Taihu Lake which have mostly not been running, and despite his decent run of years at the top level his climbing was never up to WT standard, he withdrew or HDed every GT he entered early on.

If the metric is brand value or name recognition, I don't think she is the biggest name.
She’s one of THE biggest names in women’s cycling, up there with the top riders of all time. She definitely deserves recognition parallel with the 4 lads.

I mean, Mitch Docker probably has a higher public profile among some cycling fans/on social media than vdB, but that doesn’t mean his retirement is a bigger deal.

The other name on the men’s side worth mentioning would be Tejay van Garderen. Who beat the rush by retiring after nationals in June.

Last edited:
If the metric is brand value or name recognition, I don't think she is the biggest name.
Well, Dan Martin has two monuments, Greipel has countless GT stages Tony Martin has World titles, Aru has a Grand Tour. But all of them - Aru especially - have the stench of Last Year's Man about them. And ironically Aru is the youngest of them, as the two Martins have been able to secure at least decent results into their veteran years. For those with no knowledge of cycling, van der Breggen's Olympic gold may hold currency, but sure name recognition is still much larger in the men's cycling and those guys were all at least reasonably big names so the man in the street who doesn't really follow cycling but might watch the Tour and the Worlds would have significantly higher chances of hearing of the guys, sure.

But in terms of the hole in the péloton their absence will leave between 2021 and 2022, Anna VDB is a bigger loss than all four of those guys combined.

Well, Dan Martin has two monuments, Greipel has countless GT stages Tony Martin has World titles, Aru has a Grand Tour. But all of them - Aru especially - have the stench of Last Year's Man about them. And ironically Aru is the youngest of them, as the two Martins have been able to secure at least decent results into their veteran years. For those with no knowledge of cycling, van der Breggen's Olympic gold may hold currency, but sure name recognition is still much larger in the men's cycling and those guys were all at least reasonably big names so the man in the street who doesn't really follow cycling but might watch the Tour and the Worlds would have significantly higher chances of hearing of the guys, sure.

But in terms of the hole in the péloton their absence will leave between 2021 and 2022, Anna VDB is a bigger loss than all four of those guys combined.
I think a lot depends on perspective. A cycling fan from Germany would certainly know Tony and Greipel, but might not be as familiar with Dan or Aru, and an Irish fan would obviously know Dan Martin, but maybe not the other guys. A Dutch fan would have a good chance of knowing who won the Olympics for their country over a German who used to win bunch sprints (“You mean Kittel? Didn’t he retire already?”)

Someone from any country who is newish to the sport (say, 2018 or after) might be more familiar with Anna’s world titles, particularly after her James Bond theme helicopter shot at Imola last year, than Aru’s Vuelta win 6 years ago, or Martin’s Liege win 8 years ago.

View: https://twitter.com/UCI_cycling/status/1309858111931514880?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1309858111931514880%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.embedly.com%2Fwidgets%2Fmedia.html%3Ftype%3Dtext2Fhtmlkey%3D3ce26dc7e3454db5820ba084d28b4935schema%3Dtwitterurl%3Dhttps3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fuci_cycling%2Fstatus%2F1309858111931514880image%3Dhttps3A%2F%2Fabs.twimg.com%2Ferrors%2Flogo46x38.png

Oh, and, for example, a Swiss cycling fan probably knows who Cancellara and Kiesenhofer are over any of them.

Last edited:
One thing I've started to find interesting about retiring is when riders are said to be retired from. Some riders - like Aru - will announce their retirement from a point mid-season, while most are just officially retired from December 31st but will obviously have their last race before that. I guess the main difference is that even if a rider has declared "This is my last race!" as long as (s)he is still in the testing pool, (s)he can still race. And then, of course, there's a rider like De Kort, who is retired now. No matter what the dates say.

One thing I've started to find interesting about retiring is when riders are said to be retired from. Some riders - like Aru - will announce their retirement from a point mid-season, while most are just officially retired from December 31st but will obviously have their last race before that. I guess the main difference is that even if a rider has declared "This is my last race!" as long as (s)he is still in the testing pool, (s)he can still race. And then, of course, there's a rider like De Kort, who is retired now. No matter what the dates say.
Or a rider like Lucy Kennedy, who comes back from retirement short term because the team is short of riders.

Reactions: Sandisfan

No doubt about that. When I mentioned the other four riders I was simply looking in a certain drawer of my brain, and it was the one with male cyclists. Anna's stored in the one next to them, but she's on dark red velvet whereas the others are just lying on pure wood.

But had she officially declared that she was retiring after P-R, or simply that she was retiring, and P-R would be her last race, and then - two days later; "Lucy... please... we need you!" ?
No, cause P-R was never meant to be her last race (she didn't ride it either), Tour Cycliste Féminin International de l'Ardèche was.
Worrack was supposed to have ridden her last race in P-R, though.

It's always the really important things you find interesting...

But had she officially declared that she was retiring after P-R, or simply that she was retiring, and P-R would be her last race, and then - two days later; "Lucy... please... we need you!" ?
Will you stop wasting time with inane posts - For a start it was Ardeche and not PR - It's well documented through official media, social media and Bike Exchange's website.

No, cause P-R was never meant to be her last race (she didn't ride it either), Tour Cycliste Féminin International de l'Ardèche was.
Worrack was supposed to have ridden her last race in P-R, though.
Aah, I got them mixed up. Just remembered that there was a rider who's last race was suppose to be P-R, but then ended up doing the Women's Tour.

It's always the really important things you find interesting...
But that's the thing; what I'm curious about is the ruling - and I assume there is a such - involved. For example, it was quite easy for Kennedy - and Worrack - to ride another race after her supposed "last race", because, as far as UCI is concerned, she is still an active rider. Whereas Aru can't just go and ride another race, because he is no longer an active rider.

Will you stop wasting time with inane posts - For a start it was Ardeche and not PR - It's well documented through official media, social media and Bike Exchange's website.
You never gotten things mixed up? My point was simply that Kennedy does not fit into the category of "mid-season retirement", and thus couldn't actually have "come out of" retirement, even if she had declared that a specific race was to be her last. Anyway, didn't know there was a forum rule about what is considered an "important post".

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS