• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

105 hollowtech to new 105 hollow tech compact

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
I have a 105 hollowtech on my trek.

Because I am an unfit bast#@d I want to put on a compact.

Will a compact from say Wiggle/Probike kit fit or will I need another cup?? :confused:

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Barracuda said:
I have a 105 hollowtech on my trek.

Because I am an unfit bast#@d I want to put on a compact.

Will a compact from say Wiggle/Probike kit fit or will I need another cup?? :confused:

I just fitted a Campy record compact 34x50 I needed to shorten the chain 2 links and lower front mech otherwise it was a simple change over.
Shimano should be exact same.
Nothing lazy about useing compact its great I have 11x23 on the back and in our final road race of the season I rode everyone off my wheel on a 7km climg at 9%
I didnt know I was on my own untill I was over the top still talking to the guy behind but he was way way behind. Just sit in and grind away untill they all fall off the back Love it.

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
Further to above ... when measuring crank length ... where are the measurements taken from ..... i.e. My current 105 is 175mm from middle of pedal "hole" to middle of bottom bracket "hole" .... therefore is that a 175mm crank ??

:confused:

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
Barracuda said:
Further to above ... when measuring crank length ... where are the measurements taken from ..... i.e. My current 105 is 175mm from middle of pedal "hole" to middle of bottom bracket "hole" .... therefore is that a 175mm crank ??

:confused:

Personally I just read the number stamped on the back of the crank if I want to know the length, but you could measure it that way if you prefer ;)

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
dsut4392 said:
Personally I just read the number stamped on the back of the crank if I want to know the length, but you could measure it that way if you prefer ;)

Ahhhhhh ... incredibly humerous .... to be honest I didnt even know there was a stamp on the back ..... now I do I will check ....THANKS:eek:

But wait .... that would be like reading the instruction book if all else fails.

Point taken ..

Thanks again.

The power of the forum wins again.:eek:

TRENDING THREADS