• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

105th Ronde van Vlaanderen: April 4th, 2021

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
How often did GvA get really close to winning tho? Like once?
2014 obviously, where Lefevere and Vanmarcke's tactical failures made him lose a terrific race.
2017, without the crash of Sagan on the Kwaremont he would've had a HUGE chance, because they we're clearly closing the gap on Gilbert and those days he was practically unbeatable in the final of a hard race.
2015, where he rode Sagan off his wheel in a flat finishing straight, but the countermove started out too late.
2016, that's more guessing of course, but he was in superb shape until that crash.

If being in the move over the Paterberg is your only parameter, you don't understand cycling that much don't you? But you're ridiculously anti-GVA anyway.

Enough with this discussion though. Let's enjoy a good race this Sunday.

2014 obviously, where Lefevere and Vanmarcke's tactical failures made him lose a terrific race.
2017, without the crash of Sagan on the Kwaremont he would've had a HUGE chance, because they we're clearly closing the gap on Gilbert and those days he was practically unbeatable in the final of a hard race.
2015, where he rode Sagan off his wheel in a flat finishing straight, but the countermove started out too late.
2016, that's more guessing of course, but he was in superb shape until that crash.

If being in the move over the Paterberg is your only parameter, you don't understand cycling that much don't you? But you're ridiculously anti-GVA anyway.

Enough with this discussion though. Let's enjoy a good race this Sunday.
9 editions of the 9 route, in all 9 editions the winner came from the group or solo rider with clear gap over the Paterberg. But ofcourser that's ridiculously anti GVA

Meanwhile it's neutral to blame losing a sprint to Cancellara on tactical failures of 2 other riders in that group, and ignore riders having ages to celebrate, play poker in the final km. And by what metric was he the favorite in 2016? The 9th place in GW?

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
9 editions of the 9 route, in all 9 editions the winner came from the group or solo rider with clear gap over the Paterberg. But ofcourser that's ridiculously anti GVA
In 2014 Greg went solo over the Paterberg (after leading out Vandenbergh for 20 kms) but Vanmarcke dragged Cancellara back to him.
Shame for me in this discussion that he is the one to bring down your theory :p

In 2017 Gilbert was obviously lucky. And the cooperation behind Bettiol was ridiculous too.

I had a dream today that the race was won by a rider I had never heard about before. Then I checked more about him and turned out he was Danish and signed with his team after the start of the season, with Flanders being his first race at WT level.

That's ridiculous. He would only finish second ;)
But unless another Dane gets added to the startlist, that dream won't come true. Vinjebo comes close, but he did sign with Quebeka before the season began and has also ridden WT races this year.

Reactions: RedheadDane
Jumbo again with the weird looking headhshots

Ex9TRopXEAMDiU6

MVDP saying that he really wanted to keep his form till Roubaix but feels that, much like Alaphil, Tirreno took a lot out of him. That has probably been detrimental to his condition at this point in the spring season. He highlights the fact that he didn't have much rest after the CX season and jumped right back into RR. Says the heat also probably had something to do with his performance on Wednesday but hopes Sunday he will be better.

It feels like the perfect moment for Wout to win RVV. Both Mathieu and Alaphil seem to be feeling the effects of racing too much/hard, especially Mathieu. Seems like Wout has been smarter about his schedule, opting to start racing at a later point in the season and getting more rest/easy km's.

Regardless, both Mathieu and Alaphil would need to be in top condition to have a chance at beating a top Wout, who seems to be in great shape leading up to this race. I'm certain that last year's mm sprint still haunts him from time to time so he'll be motivated to set that record straight.

With that being said, WvA will win this bike race.

That's ridiculous. He would only finish second ;)
But unless another Dane gets added to the startlist, that dream won't come true. Vinjebo comes close, but he did sign with Quebeka before the season began and has also ridden WT races this year.
You never know who is making his last-minute contract signing this evening or tomorrow in order to be a last minute addition to the Ronde startlist. ;)

Besides, of course I don't expect such a specific dream to come true. Having a very surprising winner or a Danish winner would already be close enough for me. :p

• Wow
MVDP saying that he really wanted to keep his form till Roubaix but feels that, much like Alaphil, Tirreno took a lot out of him. That has probably been detrimental to his condition at this point in the spring season. He highlights the fact that he didn't have much rest after the CX season and jumped right back into RR. Says the heat also probably had something to do with his performance on Wednesday but hopes Sunday he will be better.

It feels like the perfect moment for Wout to win RVV. Both Mathieu and Alaphil seem to be feeling the effects of racing too much/hard, especially Mathieu. Seems like Wout has been smarter about his schedule, opting to start racing at a later point in the season and getting more rest/easy km's.

Regardless, both Mathieu and Alaphil would need to be in top condition to have a chance at beating a top Wout, who seems to be in great shape leading up to this race. I'm certain that last year's mm sprint still haunts him from time to time so he'll be motivated to set that record straight.

I think all 3 went too deep in T-A. It's really hard to dig out of an overcooked state. That said, I think Wout is likely the favorite. MVP will have to race smart, not just strong. It should be a great race no matter what...

What easy kms has Wout Van Aert had thus far in the season? If there's one rider who had to dig deep in every racing day of his schedule it's him, not the others.

What easy kms has Wout Van Aert had thus far in the season? If there's one rider who had to dig deep in every racing day of his schedule it's him, not the others.
Like I said in that same post, Wout started his season at a later point compared to Mathieu and so had more rest and training kms aka easy kms compared to racing kms at that point in time. It’s not that deep.

Although Mathieu’s UAE’s tour was cut short, so there’s that.

The brothers Roodhooft said "whoever beats Wout, will win". Philip predicted Wout to win, Christophe said Stybar would... and then changed his mind and said, he didn't really believe that and said Mathieu would win. Both concluded Wout would be the man to beat.

I think that after GW and DVV anyone would be a fool not to believe that Wout is the man to beat. It wasn’t a display of absolute power because he didn’t go thermonuclear at any point in the GW a la MVDP, but he obviously had a lot left in the tank judged by his sprint finish compared to the rest. This could indicate that he didn’t go full gas.

Reactions: hayneplane

idk, might as well been VdP throwing sand.

Like WvA said, I've rarely seen him ride 2 races in a row where he was absolute dogshit. He might not be Strade Bianchi good anymore. But for sure he will fight for the win

Reactions: postmanhat