• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

114th Il Lombardia (1.UWT) // 15th of August 2020

Logo_IL.png

EfKR0pzWoAkJ7ve

I'll spruce up the post later, just wanted to start the topic to post the news that 12km has been cut from the course. No hills/mountains were cut, but the total length is "only" 231km anymore

2019's top 20:

2018's Top 20:

Current 30 best competitors according to PCS:

Last edited:
Most likely scenario for me is some really good climbers kick clear on the Muro Di Sormano and leaving Nibali and Evenepoel to tempo up and limit the gap that Nibali closes with a typical daredevil descent and Remco closes on the early part of the valley road then goes straight to the front and slowly strangles what is left of the lead bunch before leaving them gasping for air 5 kms from the foot of Civiglo signing off on a 25km solo to glory.

You've never watched Sormano?!
I'm huge on the spring classics and the Giro, but generally quite done with cycling after the Tour. Football season starts, fall swells start pumping in the north Pacific, I've got other stuff going on. Cycling season is really long. I've never watched Lombardia. Only recently started watching Vuelta stages more than the odd mountain stage.

Last edited:
Wow. And I thought I was the one hyping him too much.

I think he can win.

But to go so far as to say he will...

It may depend somewhat on how focused everyone is on marking him. If that has already begun, then it will be a first time at dealing with that. Whether he can deal with it as Merckx did by getting on the front and wearing people off his wheel... he has certainly done that, but in his first ever monument, that would be...well!

depends on the teams as well.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Wouldn´t be suprised if Remco attacks and for whatever reason no one decides to follow or chase him again. I thought that riders and teams had learned their lesson but the Tour of Poland showed that they still haven´t.
Prediciton: On the flat part prior to the Civiglio he attacks out of a reduced group of 15 riders. Leaders are watching each other. No one chases. He gets 20s and they never see him again.

Wouldn´t be suprised if Remco attacks and for whatever reason no one decides to follow or chase him again. I thought that riders and teams had learned their lesson but the Tour of Poland showed that they still haven´t.
Prediciton: On the flat part prior to the Civiglio he attacks out of a reduced group of 15 riders. Leaders are watching each other. No one chases. He gets 20s and they never see him again.
Sometimes in a race you are just to tired to follow. It’s not always a calculation. Everyone knows who Remco is, they aren’t forgetting to mark him.

TRENDING THREADS