114th Paris-Roubaix - UCI World Tour (10/4-2016)

Page 57 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Posted pre-race that I thought an outsider could,though didn't have Hayman in the reckoning. Saga and Cancellara got delayed by crashes in the Pelton and Etix made sure they couldn't recover.

Great win by Hayman and now it's back on the bike to support Matthews in DeBrantze on Wednesday
 
Jan 10, 2010
1,716
1
0
Just watched the last 20kms on SteephillTV.....what a great finish!! All the attacks :D

I was really shouting for Tom to take this one out as it would have been a the fairy tale ending to his incredible career...
Maximum respect to Matt Hayman for hanging in there and then giving it all on the line....his face was just one of complete disbelief at what he had achieved - congrats Matt

37 years old and has ridden PR 15 times.....
 
Re: Re:

Max Rockatansky said:
killswitch said:
Alexandre B. said:
Fab: Draw me like one of your French girls.
And look at Sagan. :D

Terpstra also flying...

Fab's rear wheel blasted off of the bike...that's not good. :confused: :eek:

EDIT: I hope the wheel coming out was a result of the crash and not the cause of it. A broken QR? Its hard to tell from the top pic if the wheel is in correctly, but its clearly launched seconds later.
 
Re:

infeXio said:
The Viviani-moto incident - riders crashed on the cobbles in Arenberg, the motorcycle subsequently crashed whilst trying to brake and was sliding into Viviani - not exactly sure how much he was hit by it, but the moto is hardly to blame here, as it didn't really drive into him (apart from maybe being too close to the riders to begin with)

https://www.facebook.com/LaGazzettaDelloSport/videos/10153450332690936/?__mref=message_bubble
Except this is the main point. Motos are simply too close to the riders. It's simple stuff you learn whilst learning to drive - always keep enough stopping distance between you and the vehicles in front. Why is this not applied with motos in the professional peloton?
 
Feb 6, 2016
1,213
0
0
Also, as these are off-road motos and it's hardly a secret that the 'roads' are farm tracks, the drivers shouldn't really be crashing while trying to brake. Seems to me that training remains a problem.
 
Re: Re:

Max Rockatansky said:
killswitch said:
Alexandre B. said:
Fab: Draw me like one of your French girls.
And look at Sagan. :D

Terpstra also flying...

Might be my eyes, but it looks as if the Tub has rolled off the wheel slightly. Out of causing the crash or the result of the crash, I think it is the former. To back that up, the way he crashed in the velodrome looks to be a badly glued Tub(Tubular).
 
That save from Sagan is the best piece of bike handling I have ever seen. He litterally jumped over a bike on the clipped with one foot unclipped on a slippery pave and kept the bike upright.

Best bike handler in history of professional road cycling.
 
Dec 21, 2010
513
0
0
Re: Re:

PremierAndrew said:
infeXio said:
The Viviani-moto incident - riders crashed on the cobbles in Arenberg, the motorcycle subsequently crashed whilst trying to brake and was sliding into Viviani - not exactly sure how much he was hit by it, but the moto is hardly to blame here, as it didn't really drive into him (apart from maybe being too close to the riders to begin with)

https://www.facebook.com/LaGazzettaDelloSport/videos/10153450332690936/?__mref=message_bubble
Except this is the main point. Motos are simply too close to the riders. It's simple stuff you learn whilst learning to drive - always keep enough stopping distance between you and the vehicles in front. Why is this not applied with motos in the professional peloton?
What on earth is wrong with these guys on moto's?

Riders with rim brakes, on carbon wheels can manage to stop in time, and this bozo on his moto, with disc-brakes and well behind the action manages to NOT stop, taking out Viviani in the process - good on the Trek rider for voicing what everyone was thinking (except the moto-driver..... "oh dear, there goes my job" - and good riddance too, if that is the best you can do).
 
It was a shame Boonen didn't make history. I'd have liked a straight up battle between Sagan and Cancellara, but thus was not to be. The thing that bites me is that Boonen, who under other circumstances would have been a favorite, came through with luck, though not enough to win. Instead someone who will never make history won. Fate is cruel.
 
I was working, getting text updates, and got to watch the video (not knowing who won). The final kilometers were fantastic, attack after attack...a deserving winner for sure. A bit sad for Boonen, and super-sad for Cance: it could have been the perfect script...
 
I was working, getting text updates, and got to watch the video (not knowing who won). The final kilometers were fantastic, attack after attack...a deserving winner for sure. A bit sad for Boonen, and super-sad for Cance: it could have been the perfect script...well, the year is young. But so far, the races have been very entertaining.
 
Mar 14, 2016
3,093
1
0
Tonton said:
I was working, getting text updates, and got to watch the video (not knowing who won). The final kilometers were fantastic, attack after attack...a deserving winner for sure. A bit sad for Boonen, and super-sad for Cance: it could have been the perfect script...
Hayman is only a worthy winner if you see Paris-Roubaix as some sort of Career Achievement Award, but then we might as well let Contador win it next year.
 
CheckMyPecs said:
Tonton said:
I was working, getting text updates, and got to watch the video (not knowing who won). The final kilometers were fantastic, attack after attack...a deserving winner for sure. A bit sad for Boonen, and super-sad for Cance: it could have been the perfect script...
Hayman is only a worthy winner if you see Paris-Roubaix as some sort of Career Achievement Award, but then we might as well let Contador win it next year.
There isnt any way that that is fitting.
 
Jan 25, 2016
128
0
0
Was really hopeing for Boonen to write history. He deserved it after the though years he has had.. and the fact that nobody belived he had any chance to win smh cycling experts.... He is the greatest Classic champ to me and he really took the defeat like a champ. But if it couldnt be Boonen iam really happy that Hayman won. 15 years riding PR and fractured the radius bone in his right arm at the Omloop Het Nieuwsblad. Riding over 1000k on his home trainer. But the fact he said he was sorry he beat Tom Boonen but he hoped we could be happy for him made me realise how great a rider he is
 
Oct 23, 2011
3,846
2
0
Re:

rhubroma said:
It was a shame Boonen didn't make history. I'd have liked a straight up battle between Sagan and Cancellara, but thus was not to be. The thing that bites me is that Boonen, who under other circumstances would have been a favorite, came through with luck, though not enough to win. Instead someone who will never make history won. Fate is cruel.
Being positioned well and having a strong team isn't luck. Boonen, Vanmarcke and Stannard were in contention because they were positioned well and because they had strong teams that could maintain the gap to Cancellara and Sagan when they had been caught out of position.

Also, Matthew Hayman made history by winning this race. This race will be remembered for many years to come as an exceptionally fine edition of Paris-Roubaix and Matthew Hayman will be remembered for many years to come as the winner of this race and rightly so. :)
 
Re:

SevenTimeTdfChamp said:
Was really hopeing for Boonen to write history. He deserved it after the though years he has had.. and the fact that nobody belived he had any chance to win smh cycling experts.... He is the greatest Classic champ to me and he really took the defeat like a champ. But if it couldnt be Boonen iam really happy that Hayman won. 15 years riding PR and fractured the radius bone in his right arm at the Omloop Het Nieuwsblad. Riding over 1000k on his home trainer. But the fact he said he was sorry he beat Tom Boonen but he hoped we could be happy for him made me realise how great a rider he is
Bravo. Thanks!
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

Latest posts