• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

114th Paris-Roubaix - UCI World Tour (10/4-2016)

Page 56 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

TMP402 said:
BigMac said:
ILovecycling said:
TMP402 said:
Mark Cavendish finishing 30th is pretty respectable.
Wow,very solid!

Still pissed about Sagan and Canc, it could have been even more epic :D

I think people are making strong cases as to how the race wouldn't have been as good ha Cance and Sagan been in the mix, but you never know. :)

It could only have been as good if one or both of them had joined up only in the last 15km and were as tired as the front group. For either of them just to have powered away once they caught the main group would have pleased some and still counted as a pretty good edition but deprived us of a great final few km of intrigue.
VMT. The final 10km set the race apart, even from the likes of GW last year, which had a slightly anti-climactic finish. This was just attacking and counter-attacking all the way to the line.

And that only happened because all five riders felt they had a pretty much equal chance of winning, but none of them really wanted a sprint.

DFA123 said:
TMP402 said:
BigMac said:
ILovecycling said:
TMP402 said:
Mark Cavendish finishing 30th is pretty respectable.
Wow,very solid!

Still pissed about Sagan and Canc, it could have been even more epic :D

I think people are making strong cases as to how the race wouldn't have been as good ha Cance and Sagan been in the mix, but you never know. :)

It could only have been as good if one or both of them had joined up only in the last 15km and were as tired as the front group. For either of them just to have powered away once they caught the main group would have pleased some and still counted as a pretty good edition but deprived us of a great final few km of intrigue.
VMT. The final 10km set the race apart, even from the likes of GW last year, which had a slightly anti-climactic finish. This was just attacking and counter-attacking all the way to the line.

And that only happened because all five riders felt they had a pretty much equal chance of winning, but none of them really wanted a sprint.

I disagree. I thought the last 10k of Gent-Wevelgem last year, whilst not as exciting as this year, was also really fun. Thomas and Terpstra kept on attacking, and just when it seemed Paolini was dropped he attacked and won. Different, less exciting but still pretty damn good finish.

May 26, 2015
Visit site
Cant help it tho to feel a bit sad cause of Boonen, what a champion and truly the greatest cobble rider of all time, hands down!

Gotte give respect to Hayman too, very strong ride and deserved win when u win! Chapou

Lupi33x said:
It was Hayman, but he saw it coming because it instigated his attack. He hoped to draft behind that car, but it was going too fast. (and this is concerning because why did it need to go past that quickly)

As for the number of crashes caused by motos and cars, what can organisers do... its just bad driving and bad motorbike riding. They need to lift their standards which seem to have fallen in recent years.
Yep, real life is about tradeoffs. I hate it when cars affect the race, but it's price you have to pay for the riders to be safe. If the car had to pass it should have done so slowly, racing be damned. Gun it once you're clear.

And what a great race.The fact that no one in that group was in particularly great form except for Sepp really helped. Echoing what DFA said since they were afraid of no one else they were just going for it, attacking and closing gaps with abandon. So I'll agree with the crowd that ironically it was very likely better for the race that Saganara didn't make the split, though I kind wanted Sagan to get back because it would have made that save legendary.

Also, Chapeau to Matt Hayman. Once he appeared out of nowhere in the Carrefour section, I was pulling for him hard. Love it when the veteran domestiques manage to pull one out, and what a way to do it. And what a place to do it. And what a bunch to do it against.

Cfsa6JiWcAM3GIQ.jpg

Re:

Alexandre B. said:
Good god. I'll just say it outright: no one else in the pro peloton avoids crashing there. No one. Well, unless you count Brumotti as a Tinkoff rider.

Also, I'll take Sagan's 30mm tyres over "IsoSpeed" any day of the week. I like the way Trek tries to innovate, but not a great outing for that new Domane.

TRENDING THREADS