• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

114th Paris-Roubaix - UCI World Tour (10/4-2016)

Page 51 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
WTF!!!!!!

This was racing of old. Action from km 0. Everyone did his best. All the front deserved the victory. Even Boasson Hagen.
Boonen is a hero. Best cobbled rider ever. Such a beast today.
Hayman!!! Matthew Hayman! Incredible ride. When was the last time where a rider won Paris - Roubaix from the early breakaway?
Erviti is a boss. Sieberg and Saramontins as well. Is really nice to see such reliables gregario doing such races.

Best Paris - Roubaix I've ever seen.

Now to the boring Ardennes...

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Unreal race. I cannot process it. Easily the best Roubaix I ever watched. That counter attack by Hayman was insane
The pure glee in the Sporza commentators voices when Boonen closed that gap and latched on lol. Then 2 minutes later...

Re: Re:

GuyIncognito said:
42x16ss said:
portugal11 said:
Boonen is the moral winner.
How? Hayman was in the break for around 200kms and even attacked with 80kms to go to thin out the break. 2nd or 3rd strongest at worst. Just chasing back on over the Carrefour de l'Abre was huge.

"I made the breakway, but I only went once, so I saved my legs all day” -Hayman

I don't subscribe to the 'moral winner' crap, Hayman is the only winner. But there's no doubt he had the far easier ride
Saving legs =/= wheelsucking all day. Hayman only did the work he thought he had to.

He's also only had about 5 or 6 race days this year after his accident.

GuyIncognito said:
42x16ss said:
portugal11 said:
Boonen is the moral winner.
How? Hayman was in the break for around 200kms and even attacked with 80kms to go to thin out the break. 2nd or 3rd strongest at worst. Just chasing back on over the Carrefour de l'Abre was huge.

"I made the breakway, but I only went once, so I saved my legs all day” -Hayman

I don't subscribe to the 'moral winner' crap, Hayman is the only winner. But there's no doubt he had the far easier ride
Oh, c'mon. You watched the race. Hayman was in the front a bunch. He was also dropped a few times and worked his a$$ off to get back. I've never given him a 2nd thought, but that guy fully deserved the win. Total props to him

Re:

StephenC2020 said:
I need Hayman's wtf face for my avatar :)

CfsJaroWsAAVqXy.jpg

It was telling that every single rider from that group tried to get away solo before the velodrome. None of them felt confident in the sprint as they were all cooked. They also knew that everyone else was cooked so were just hoping that their attack would be the one where the group hesitated just a bit too long.

I don't blame Stannard for looking pretty down. If he'd saved his two attacks for 2-3km to go, I say he'd have had enough to stay away. If he'd not attacked at all and saved it for the sprint, I further assert he could have won the sprint. He'd still have been third at the very least.

Eyeballs Out said:
Scarponi said:
Matty white is saying haymen has two days of racing last six weeks after broken arm. Holy crap
Forget the traditional MSR, Harelbeke Ronde prep - the way to win Paris-Roubaix is not to ride in Feb or March and then take in a couple of spanish 1 day races

This are his last results

10.04 1 Paris - Roubaix (1.UWT)257.5 more
03.04 103 Vuelta Ciclista a La Rioja (1.1)157.4 more
02.04 76 Gran Premio Miguel Indurain (1.1)192 more
27.02 DNF Omloop Het Nieuwsblad Elite (1.HC)200.8 more
31.01 28 Cadel Evans Great Ocean Road Race (1.HC)174 5 more

Libertine Seguros said:
johnymax said:
I just checked Hayman had one pro win prior to this. What the hell!? Incredible.
Well, he was a highly rated Classics domestique before this at least.

And that's more wins pre-monument victory than Oliver Zaugg :D
Hayman had 2-3 top 10s riding for Flecha at Rabo and Sky and has been a great domestique for years. He has huge respect in the peloton.