• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

114th Paris-Roubaix - UCI World Tour (10/4-2016)

Page 52 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Jelantik said:
maybe sky is kicking themself. Their ex member win the monument. What a ride by hayman.

If he was still in SKY, he would be scientifically and marginally burnt to ashes long before the velodrome... to save Luke Rowe or someone.

Re:

jaylew said:
It was telling that every single rider from that group tried to get away solo before the velodrome. None of them felt confident in the sprint as they were all cooked. They also knew that everyone else was cooked so were just hoping that their attack would be the one where the group hesitated just a bit too long.

Those last 5k were spectacular. The attacks were good, but the chasing was even better.

No games. No sandbagging. Just a do or die: chase or lose.

Re: Re:

doperhopper said:
Jelantik said:
maybe sky is kicking themself. Their ex member win the monument. What a ride by hayman.

If he was still in SKY, he would be scientifically and marginally burnt to ashes long before the velodrome... to save Luke Rowe or someone.

That did happen more than once. I remember Sean Kelly bemused at Sky having hayman on the front working for Hagen.

I still remember Kelly's line: 'Hagen may have better numbers in a lab, but the cobbles are not a lab'

cineteq said:
portugal11 said:
Boonen is the moral winner.
Boonen lost the race when he had to chase back Hayman's only attack. Boonen was the best sprinter remaining, but he had no gas left in the tank. Hayman is moral winner.

Boonen had more in the sprint, but the final juncture threw a wrench into the positioning. When Vanmarcke and Stannard came up, Boonen's sprint lane disappeared.

More Strides than Rides said:
jaylew said:
It was telling that every single rider from that group tried to get away solo before the velodrome. None of them felt confident in the sprint as they were all cooked. They also knew that everyone else was cooked so were just hoping that their attack would be the one where the group hesitated just a bit too long.

Those last 5k were spectacular. The attacks were good, but the chasing was even better.

Real racing. I'm still amazed that none of those attacks stuck.

jaylew said:

Yes, that was noticeable and refreshing.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re:

pink_jersey said:
WTF!!!!!!

This was racing of old. Action from km 0. Everyone did his best. All the front deserved the victory. Even Boasson Hagen.
Boonen is a hero. Best cobbled rider ever. Such a beast today.
Hayman!!! Matthew Hayman! Incredible ride. When was the last time where a rider won Paris - Roubaix from the early breakaway?
Erviti is a boss. Sieberg and Saramontins as well. Is really nice to see such reliables gregario doing such races.

Best Paris - Roubaix I've ever seen.

Now to the boring Ardennes...

There is a new standard in cycling. The Ardennes will be brutal too :)

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site

jaylew said:

Yeah, it was kinda last man standing at the end, and I'm not sure if I've ever seen three riders look so wasted on the podium.

So Stannard skipped opening weekend for the first time and Hayman rode no cobbles after crashing in the opening weekend - new blueprint for a successful classics season.

Edit: and I should add, this might not be a good thing. Yes we just had an amazing race but we don't want the best cobbled riders skipping the best cobbled races that aren't RVV and PR.

Arredondo said:
pink_jersey said:
WTF!!!!!!

This was racing of old. Action from km 0. Everyone did his best. All the front deserved the victory. Even Boasson Hagen.
Boonen is a hero. Best cobbled rider ever. Such a beast today.
Hayman!!! Matthew Hayman! Incredible ride. When was the last time where a rider won Paris - Roubaix from the early breakaway?
Erviti is a boss. Sieberg and Saramontins as well. Is really nice to see such reliables gregario doing such races.

Best Paris - Roubaix I've ever seen.

Now to the boring Ardennes...

There is a new standard in cycling. The Ardennes will be brutal too :)

Haha right. The ol' soft pedal to a slow motion, uphill "sprint."

Should be amazing.

Re:

TMP402 said:
I don't blame Stannard for looking pretty down. If he'd saved his two attacks for 2-3km to go, I say he'd have had enough to stay away. If he'd not attacked at all and saved it for the sprint, I further assert he could have won the sprint. He'd still have been third at the very least.

Yeah, he isn't incredible on the cobbles but I think he was the strongest in the finale. Still, he'll have plenty more chances and he really needed to get a good result in a monument this year so it's not that bad for him!

This is hands down the best race I've ever had the pleasure of watching. If you want to get someone interested in cycling, you better not show them this edition, because everything they watch after it will just be boring as hell.

A phenomenal win for Matt Hayman. Chapeau!

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Re:

TMP402 said:
So Stannard skipped opening weekend for the first time and Hayman rode no cobbles after crashing in the opening weekend - new blueprint for a successful classics season.

Many big names skip Omloop, Cance has been doing for years. It just depends on rider.

mr. tibbs said:
cineteq said:
portugal11 said:
Boonen is the moral winner.
Boonen lost the race when he had to chase back Hayman's only attack. Boonen was the best sprinter remaining, but he had no gas left in the tank. Hayman is moral winner.

Boonen had more in the sprint, but the final juncture threw a wrench into the positioning. When Vanmarcke and Stannard came up, Boonen's sprint lane disappeared.

I disagree, he didn't seem to be closing in on Hayman on the last 10 meters, he just didn't have the speed anymore.

And I think the idea of a "moral winner" is *** stupid.

GuyIncognito said:
StephenC2020 said:
I need Hayman's wtf face for my avatar :)

CfsJaroWsAAVqXy.jpg

TRENDING THREADS