• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

114th Paris-Roubaix - UCI World Tour (10/4-2016)

Page 53 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

TMP402 said:
More Strides than Rides said:
jaylew said:
It was telling that every single rider from that group tried to get away solo before the velodrome. None of them felt confident in the sprint as they were all cooked. They also knew that everyone else was cooked so were just hoping that their attack would be the one where the group hesitated just a bit too long.

Those last 5k were spectacular. The attacks were good, but the chasing was even better.

No games. No sandbagging. Just a do or die: chase or lose.

Yes, that was noticeable and refreshing.

The fact that none of those 5 gave up at any point was amazing as it seemed like there was a point for all of them when they couldn't bridge a gap and just put their heads down. Sep and EBH getting back on the velodrome was shocking

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I wonder how it would have played out without Sky crashing. I think it was really their to lose, they should be kicking himself. If Rowe was there to attack and Stannard to sit...Dave will go even balder now.

spalco said:
mr. tibbs said:
cineteq said:
portugal11 said:
Boonen is the moral winner.
Boonen lost the race when he had to chase back Hayman's only attack. Boonen was the best sprinter remaining, but he had no gas left in the tank. Hayman is moral winner.

Boonen had more in the sprint, but the final juncture threw a wrench into the positioning. When Vanmarcke and Stannard came up, Boonen's sprint lane disappeared.

I disagree, he didn't seem to be closing in on Hayman on the last 10 meters, he just didn't have the speed anymore.

And I think the idea of a "moral winner" is **** stupid.

Boonen of old would have won the sprint but then Boonen of old would have dropped them ages before the velodrome. Getting old is a biatch :D

Irondan said:
maltiv said:
Irondan said:
Gotta give EBH credit, I didn't think he'd be there in the end but his result was well deserved.
Finally a top 5 in a monument. After 2014 I completely gave up the idea of him ever winning one, but now it looks plausible again :)
He rode a great race, maybe he's a classics rider after all...

Don't get ahead of yourselves...

Ryo Hazuki said:
as stated countless times before by me and others. he can't handle the classical distance. too small of an engine

TMP402 said:
Irondan said:
maltiv said:
Irondan said:
Gotta give EBH credit, I didn't think he'd be there in the end but his result was well deserved.
Finally a top 5 in a monument. After 2014 I completely gave up the idea of him ever winning one, but now it looks plausible again :)

Ryo Hazuki said:
as stated countless times before by me and others. he can't handle the classical distance. too small of an engine
Do you think that was a fluke?

GuyIncognito said:
doperhopper said:
Jelantik said:
maybe sky is kicking themself. Their ex member win the monument. What a ride by hayman.

If he was still in SKY, he would be scientifically and marginally burnt to ashes long before the velodrome... to save Luke Rowe or someone.

That did happen more than once. I remember Sean Kelly bemused at Sky having hayman on the front working for Hagen.

I still remember Kelly's line: 'Hagen may have better numbers in a lab, but the cobbles are not a lab'

Was Standard basically a dom last year for wiggins ? If so, what a waste.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site

Irondan said:
TMP402 said:
Irondan said:
maltiv said:
Irondan said:

Ryo Hazuki said:
Do you think that was a fluke?

It was his first good showing in this classics, so on the evidence, yes. Next year we will see.

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site

Irondan said:
portugal11 said:
Boonen was the rider that put cancellara and sagan out of the race, and that is the biggest prove that he was the moral winner.
There's no "moral winner" in this race, just the winner. Hayman deserves all the recognition and respect that comes with winning PR.
Exactly. Moral winner, immoral winner, please...

mr. tibbs said:
Arredondo said:
pink_jersey said:
WTF!!!!!!

This was racing of old. Action from km 0. Everyone did his best. All the front deserved the victory. Even Boasson Hagen.
Boonen is a hero. Best cobbled rider ever. Such a beast today.
Hayman!!! Matthew Hayman! Incredible ride. When was the last time where a rider won Paris - Roubaix from the early breakaway?
Erviti is a boss. Sieberg and Saramontins as well. Is really nice to see such reliables gregario doing such races.

Best Paris - Roubaix I've ever seen.

Now to the boring Ardennes...

There is a new standard in cycling. The Ardennes will be brutal too :)

Haha right. The ol' soft pedal to a slow motion, uphill "sprint."

Should be amazing.

Honestly, sometimes Huy finale is best the week can offer, at least it's not worst than we expect, while AGR and LBL........I don't know why I still get excited everytime they come.

TRENDING THREADS