• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

114th Paris-Roubaix - UCI World Tour (10/4-2016)

Page 54 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Irondan said:
TMP402 said:
Irondan said:
maltiv said:
Irondan said:
Gotta give EBH credit, I didn't think he'd be there in the end but his result was well deserved.
Finally a top 5 in a monument. After 2014 I completely gave up the idea of him ever winning one, but now it looks plausible again :)
He rode a great race, maybe he's a classics rider after all...

Don't get ahead of yourselves...

Ryo Hazuki said:
as stated countless times before by me and others. he can't handle the classical distance. too small of an engine
Do you think that was a fluke?

Hey, I'm just the messenger.

bigcog said:
GuyIncognito said:
doperhopper said:
Jelantik said:
maybe sky is kicking themself. Their ex member win the monument. What a ride by hayman.

If he was still in SKY, he would be scientifically and marginally burnt to ashes long before the velodrome... to save Luke Rowe or someone.

That did happen more than once. I remember Sean Kelly bemused at Sky having hayman on the front working for Hagen.

I still remember Kelly's line: 'Hagen may have better numbers in a lab, but the cobbles are not a lab'

Was Standard basically a dom last year for wiggins ? If so, what a waste.

Well he won OHN both last year and the year before, so there were vague hints and joint leadership but I'd say yes he was helping Thomas and Wiggins, but that obvious amounted to nothing and instead Rowe had his breakthrough with a top 10.

Gloin22 said:
Irondan said:
TMP402 said:
[quote="maltiv":bczafhcj][quote="Irondan said:
Gotta give EBH credit, I didn't think he'd be there in the end but his result was well deserved.
Finally a top 5 in a monument. After 2014 I completely gave up the idea of him ever winning one, but now it looks plausible again :)
He rode a great race, maybe he's a classics rider after all...

Don't get ahead of yourselves...

Ryo Hazuki said:
as stated countless times before by me and others. he can't handle the classical distance. too small of an engine
Do you think that was a fluke?[/quote]

It was his first good showing in this classics, so on the evidence, yes. Next year we will see.[/quote]

Nah, he's proven he can do the distance more than once.

Anderis said:
jsem94 said:
MATTHEW ** HAYMAN! Biggest sensation in the classics since Vansummeren
This is not even comparable to Vansummeren. Vansummeren had two top8 Roubaix finishes within 3 years before his win. He was also, unlike Hayman, able to win a WT race (Tour de Pologne) before.
Yea, this is easily a bigger shock than Summie.

zrrivo_photo_scanferla_0637_600.jpg

spalco said:
mr. tibbs said:
Boonen had more in the sprint, but the final juncture threw a wrench into the positioning. When Vanmarcke and Stannard came up, Boonen's sprint lane disappeared.

I disagree, he didn't seem to be closing in on Hayman on the last 10 meters, he just didn't have the speed anymore.

And I think the idea of a "moral winner" is **** stupid.

Oh fer sher. I hate that moral winner nonsense, and never meant to imply that. It's like complaining that cobbles don't belong in the Tour because they make the Tour winner lose. I was just posting my opinion about what level the guys had in the finale.

But I do think Boonen had more gas in the tank for the sprint, but he just ****ed up the positioning. Great win by Hayman. I had written him off after he was shuffled out of the group.

Pretty sure Orica lured Matty Hayman across with the promise of letting him go for his own win at PR and then do road captain duties for most of the remainder of the season. The team does give most of the stronger riders in the team a chance for their own race wins, Impey, Albasini, Durbridge, Yates x 2, Chavez, Ewan, Keukeleire all get their chances alongside the main 2 Gerrans and Mathews.

The win brought back great memories of Hayman taking out the 2006 Commonwealth Games road race when he was not expected to be in the finish.

Anderis said:
jsem94 said:
MATTHEW ** HAYMAN! Biggest sensation in the classics since Vansummeren
This is not even comparable to Vansummeren. Vansummeren had two top8 Roubaix finishes within 3 years before his win. He was also, unlike Hayman, able to win a WT race (Tour de Pologne) before.
Yes it is. Hayman has had multiple top 5's at Gent-Wevelgem, Dwoors door Vlaanderen and Omloop along with consecutive top 10's at Roubaix in 2011 and 2012 - riding for Flecha - and has won Paris-Bourges and Challenge Mallorca.

He's one of the most respected domestiques in the peloton.

Pricey_sky said:
PremierAndrew said:
In other news Viviani in hospital after being hit by a moto

When will the organisers actually do something about this? Seems like almost every race now is happening.

I'm sure there has been action behind the scenes. There's no way they'd be doing nothing after the Demoitie incident. But obviously, the action is not severe enough or quick enough

Re:

gunara said:
mr. tibbs said:
Arredondo said:
pink_jersey said:
WTF!!!!!!

This was racing of old. Action from km 0. Everyone did his best. All the front deserved the victory. Even Boasson Hagen.
Boonen is a hero. Best cobbled rider ever. Such a beast today.
Hayman!!! Matthew Hayman! Incredible ride. When was the last time where a rider won Paris - Roubaix from the early breakaway?
Erviti is a boss. Sieberg and Saramontins as well. Is really nice to see such reliables gregario doing such races.

Best Paris - Roubaix I've ever seen.

Now to the boring Ardennes...

There is a new standard in cycling. The Ardennes will be brutal too :)

Haha right. The ol' soft pedal to a slow motion, uphill "sprint."

Should be amazing.

Honestly, sometimes Huy finale is best the week can offer, at least it's not worst than we expect, while AGR and LBL........I don't know why I still get excited everytime they come.
Both AGR and LBL have been hurt by course modifications. The addition of the extra loop post-2012 Worlds has rendered climbs like the Keutenberg irrelevant in AGR, which is just sad. The Subida a Huy has long been the puncheur sprint par excellence, bar that year around 2008 or so when Fabian Wegmann almost made it solo from distance but was caught about halfway up the Mur. LBL has suffered since introducing RAF I fear, it's a hard enough climb that fear of it means people are afraid to expend energy before then, and then there's a fairly sizable break of downhill and flat before St-Nicolas which means you often have domestiques work their way back there, leaving us with it all in the last 7km or so. I'm in favour of either using some harder climbs earlier and removing RAF (the problem with which is that by making the race easier rather than harder you end up with a bigger bunch at the finish that's harder to get away from) or reinstating the Côte de Colonster between RAF and St-Nicolas - it's an easier climb but would mean it would be harder for domestiques to get back to the front group and so more mano a mano racing could go on ahead. The best LBL in recent years was the Nibali/Iglinsky one, let's face it.

TRENDING THREADS