• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2010 Giro d'Italia... Who will win?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the 2010 Giro?

• Other, namely...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think Sastre will win, Pellizoti has not shown so much of a form, so it might as well be Basso they are riding for, Evans might have a small chance. And we should not count out Vinokourov, after what he shown in Terrentino i think he has a good shoot at the podiums, he climbed better than Basso who finished 4th at the Vuelta last year. So Vino might end up taking the victory!

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Andrichuk said:
... I'm also excited to watch Bbox.

I want Bbox to do well too!

Here is their squad for the Giro:

Yukiya ARASHIRO, William BONNET, Anthony CHARTEAU, Mathieu CLAUDE, Guillaume LE FLOCH, Damien GAUDIN, Joahnn TSCHOPP, Yuriy TROVIMOV, Thomas VOECKLER.

No Pierre Rolland, saving him for Le Tour. No Fédrigo either. Still, a good mix of youth and experience - they might be good for at least a stage win or two in the first two weeks. When the roads start to point towards the sky they will less likely be in the mix for a stage win, unless a Voeckler solo is in the cards. No one likely to threaten the top five in GC though.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Sastre for me, however much Cuddles is changing to be more likeable and a better, 'luckier'* rider I still think he is a hilly one day rider and will get spanked by Sastre on that course in the last week - and what is not to like about Carlos?

and hopefully Wiggo will not embarass himself, he needs to at least win a stage and/or have a couple of days in pink to back up what he's been saying in interviews recently.

*in the Gary Player sense

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
Vino proving popular with the voters... Perhaps one of them would care to explain how they think he'll win?

I can't see Vino sticking close to Evans, Pellizotti or Sastre on the Zoncolan, and he'll get massacred on the Kronplatz... But perhaps one of his many supporters will say otherwise?

Don't get me wrong, i LOVE Vino... But I don't think he can win.

Vino is still popular, I for one am very confused as well...

He seems to be a real trendy pick that goes against the norm. May as well as pick Scarponi if you wanna go against the norm.

nvpacchi said:
Vino is still popular, I for one am very confused as well...

He seems to be a real trendy pick that goes against the norm. May as well as pick Scarponi if you wanna go against the norm.
Trendy? Against the norm? I can only speak for myself, but I personally don't like him, I just think that he could do something in this field. Apart from the fact that I really don't know who will win this... Sastre, Evans, Mollema, your grandmother, Pope Benedict?

May 16, 2009
Visit site
What About...

Menchov?? Is he not doing the Giro this year?

Also, I believe Bradley Wiggins is doing the Giro this year although it is not clear if he is aiming for a podium finish.

Don't forget that Pellizotti is on the same team as Kreuziger and Nibali, and either of those two could also podium.

issoisso said:
Now, now. The rules may allow riders in pink spandex, but the organizers draw the line at a creepy old man dressed like a gay wizard.

I also don't think that the Kronplatz climb particularly suits the Pope. He's always had trouble competing with the crown. He's more of a bet for the Volta a Portugal, where the Alto da Senhora da Graça will be decisive.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
GarySeven said:
Menchov?? Is he not doing the Giro this year?

Also, I believe Bradley Wiggins is doing the Giro this year although it is not clear if he is aiming for a podium finish.

Don't forget that Pellizotti is on the same team as Kreuziger and Nibali, and either of those two could also podium.

Respectively not riding, riding for training , not riding, not riding

Libertine Seguros said:
I also don't think that the Kronplatz climb particularly suits the Pope. He's always had trouble competing with the crown. He's more of a bet for the Volta a Portugal, where the Alto da Senhora da Graça will be decisive.

You're scaring me. Do I know you?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Trendy? Against the norm? I can only speak for myself, but I personally don't like him, I just think that he could do something in this field. Apart from the fact that I really don't know who will win this... Sastre, Evans, Mollema, your grandmother, Pope Benedict?

Its just like March Madness tournament, every single year there is one team that EVERYONE picks as a so-called "dark horse" to make it to the final four. Examples include Boston College (2006) and Georgetown (2007). As me and my buddies called these teams: "real trendy picks"

Neither of those teams did anything that year in the tourney...

I feel Vino is the same way, a pick people can feel somewhat safe about, yet go against the grain at the same time. I don't think he's gonna bonk out, but I anticipate a respectable showing in Giro.

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
No easy picks this year. IMO no one really stands out right now. Evans might be really motivated but I don't think he has it. OTOH he's been surprising a lot of people who have written him off since he took the rainbow so who knows. So many things can happen in a GT.

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Evans can't win a Grand Tour, and Basso is not the same Basso he once was.
I think Vinokourov has a good shot

Evans has the best form of any of the favorites exceot maybe Vino. But either way he has a good chance at the win

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
kurtinsc said:
Has the BMC squad been announced for the Giro yet?

Hincappie rides a solid TT, and Frank and Frei are okay.

Do they have the riders to have at least 5 TT guys to limit losses to an acceptable level?
They will choose a squad from this

Evans
Schar - has been U23 and U19 time trial champ 3 times. canc limb a bit.
Morabito - he is reasonable. Strong guy on the flats and can climb a bit.
Murphy - classics rider
Zahner - Classics rider, 2nd in national time trial champs in 2007
Wyss - Sprinter and classics rider
Beyer - fairly good, young climber.
Stewart - not sure
Kohler - sprinter and has had good results in short tt's
Bookwalter - strong tter and can climb
Stalder - classics and sprinter
Louder - climber

auscyclefan94 said:
Pellizotti
Evans
Sastre

The ttt will lose it for evans. The three loses of his 3 best riders will be hard to overcome.

Im being more optumistic with the top 3:
1st=Evans
2nd=Pellizotti
3rd=Wiggins
Agreed the TTT will be make or break for Cadel but im quite positive........

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
blaxland said:
Im being more optumistic with the top 3:
1st=Evans
2nd=Pellizotti
3rd=Wiggins
Agreed the TTT will be make or break for Cadel but im quite positive........

I wish I could as well! Some of their guys still in there are reasonable in the tt but maybe evans can make the time up on the Zoncolan or Mortirol by going solo?