• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2010 Giro d'Italia... Who will win?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the 2010 Giro?

• Other, namely...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Pellizotti. Liqui could own the TTT and this guy will peak brilliantly for the giro. Has been very quiet, whereas someone like evans has already had a heavy schedule.

Sastre is my next bet.

Pelli
Sastre
Basso

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
El Imbatido said:
Yeah isso said he was counting down to the Giro but he doesn't count the weekends for some reason that i can't remember

Ha! I thought it was for the Giro, but I couldn't figure it out because it didn't seem to add up... :eek:

sorry for this intermezzo.

Giro. Too bad I can not be at the start =( It'll be huge!

I wonder how Sastre will perform, because we have seen so little of him, although he was one of the most entertaining/aggressive riders in last year's edition. I bet he would like to add the pink to his collection though and I'd certainly be rooting for him.

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
This is a real tough one to pick

Evans has the form

Basso/Pellizotti have the team

Sastre has the ideal course

It just has to be one of those four. I don't believe Vino can win but i'm sure he will put in a great showing for the crowds.

I'm going to tip Evans, becoz I actually want him to win a GT, but I have my doubts about the TTT.

All the pressure is on Liquigas tho. The strongest team with 2 of the 4 strongest riders. That means Sastre and Evans should be working together to try and dislodge the weaker Liquigas rider and then go toe-to-toe themselves.

1) Evans
2) Sastre
3) Pellizotti or Basso

(can't decide out of those two for 3rd, but certainly one MUST make the podium)

auscyclefan94 said:
How is vino favourite? He did win trentino but you guys are getting a little excited don't you think?

I was thinking the same thing. I just don't think Vino has any shot to win. I'm thinking back half of the top 10 for him. Either that or when he realizes he can't win he shoots for a stages and saves himself for the Tour.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Inner Peace said:
This is a real tough one to pick

Evans has the form

Basso/Pellizotti have the team

Sastre has the ideal course

It just has to be one of those four. I don't believe Vino can win but i'm sure he will put in a great showing for the crowds.

I'm going to tip Evans, becoz I actually want him to win a GT, but I have my doubts about the TTT.

All the pressure is on Liquigas tho. The strongest team with 2 of the 4 strongest riders. That means Sastre and Evans should be working together to try and dislodge the weaker Liquigas rider and then go toe-to-toe themselves.

1) Evans
2) Sastre
3) Pellizotti or Basso

(can't decide out of those two for 3rd, but certainly one MUST make the podium)

Basso's goal is the tour so pellizotti would be 3rd for you, but I do like your summary.

flicker said:
please god anyone but riccardo rico. Oh thank you god he is banned from the giro this year.F/U RICO Go Cadel!!

Ah I finally get it !?! You're auscyclefan's equally (un)intelligent cousin from United States !?
Here you have a great book for both of you ! :rolleyes:
http://truefanboy.com/
fanwebbookcover.gif

Out of interest, BMC Pampeago results.
32 Alexandre Moos (Swi) BMC Racing Team 0:02:51
44 Chris Butler (USA) BMC Racing Team 0:03:50
59 Florian Stalder (Swi) BMC Racing Team 0:05:31
93 Alexander Kristoff (Nor) BMC Racing Team 0:10:51
94 Chad Beyer (USA) BMC Racing Team 0:10:53
120 Martin Kohler (Swi) BMC Racing Team 0:14:37

Moos being the guy with loads of experience.
Not sure how many of these guys will line up for the Giro start.
Selection after Romandie?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Michielveedeebee said:
Voted Evans, he's in the form of his life. Just a shame his team sucks even more now than last year. As for TTT, Frei was taken out doped so he doesn't count.

What do folks think of vandevelde's chances? noone has even mentioned his name.

ttrider

BANNED
Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Vino has no hope in hell
i tip him to at least do very well if not win an itt or 2 but as someone in another thread said 10% walls arent his thing and theres plenty of them, will lose 2 on zoncolan and 2 on cronplatz he cant make that up in tts
Garzelli a very dangerous dark horse alpe di pampeago cost him a podium las year but he barely lost any other time, will beat sastre pellizotti and basso in flat tts convincingly so if he brings his climbing legs i think he will be right up there but ultimately lose to much in ttt and climbs to sastre

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Out of interest, BMC Pampeago results.
32 Alexandre Moos (Swi) BMC Racing Team 0:02:51
44 Chris Butler (USA) BMC Racing Team 0:03:50
59 Florian Stalder (Swi) BMC Racing Team 0:05:31
93 Alexander Kristoff (Nor) BMC Racing Team 0:10:51
94 Chad Beyer (USA) BMC Racing Team 0:10:53
120 Martin Kohler (Swi) BMC Racing Team 0:14:37

Moos being the guy with loads of experience.
Not sure how many of these guys will line up for the Giro start.
Selection after Romandie?

Butler and beyer are both quite young and stalder, kohler and kristoff are more sprinters.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
They will choose a squad from this

Evans
Schar - has been U23 and U19 time trial champ 3 times. canc limb a bit.
Morabito - he is reasonable. Strong guy on the flats and can climb a bit.
Murphy - classics rider
Zahner - Classics rider, 2nd in national time trial champs in 2007
Wyss - Sprinter and classics rider
Beyer - fairly good, young climber.
Stewart - not sure
Kohler - sprinter and has had good results in short tt's
Bookwalter - strong tter and can climb
Stalder - classics and sprinter
Louder - climber

Moos is not on giro shortlist. I think morabito was doing tour recon with evans the other week so it seems he will be doing the tour.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
phillop said:
sastre never shows form before he has to, remember his form in the dauphine before he won le tour?

Kind of my point, Satre hasn't shown form, but we all know he is a favourite. Vandevelde has a shot unless he's targetting the tour. Moondance seems to think he is aiming for the tour, but I'm not so sure. Almost an Evans like scenario most think at best Evans could win the giro, or podium the tour not both and hence for that elusive GT should focus on the Giro. I think at best vandevelde could podium the Giro or go top 10 at the tour, and hence should focus on the giro. At least 2 of the uphill finishes are actually quite gradual which may favour the less punchy climbers.

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Sastre
Pellizotti
Evans

And bear in mind that previous second places in Giro were
2009 Di Luca
2008 Ricco
2007 Mazzoleni almost made it
2006 Gutiérrez Cataluña
:D
talk about tradition....

So neither Sastre or Evans can be second, one of those two will win.

All jokes aside,
I say, Evans will probably get into lead early in the race (or be highest placed GC rider), he will watch Sastre, Sastre will watch the podium finish and Pellizotti will be Sastre of Tour 08 at this Giro.
I voted Pellizotti.