• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2010 Vuelta a Murcia 3rd-7th March

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Wigg(ga)ns is riding. No Spanish or Italian teams of note, due to the fact that Valverde is banned in Italy, and the Spanish teams are locked in some dispute.

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
craig1985 said:
It was a victory for omerta when the the Italian teams were told to GAGF.

Agreed. Pathetic really.

Should be a decent race though. Be interested to see how it pans out. Brad Wiggins has stated he wants to go for the overall at Murcia. Hopefully Russell Downing will be given a chance to go for any sprints which might crop up. There's at least 2 days when bunch sprints should be nailed on.

Menchov will ride too apparantly, defending his title from last year. Stages 2 and 3 feature some pretty reasonable climbs, and stage 4 is a flattish 22km TT. Should be pretty competitive.

Anyone have a more detailed list of team/riders taking part?

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Not sure about start lists but the 2 British teams are as follows:

Sky
John-Lee Augustyn
Russell Downing
Chris Froome
Lars-Petter Nordhaug
Nicolas Portal
Morris Possoni
Bradley Wiggins

Endura Racing
Alexandre Blain
Evan Oliphant
Ian Wilkinson
Jack Bauer
James Moss
Rob Partridge
Ross Creber

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
can you imagine.

Menchov attacks

But bauer counters...

haha genius.

could be a menchov v wiggins v kloden battle depending on how up for it they are.

bos could get a couple more stages in the sprints. would love to see downing up there

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
murcia is one of my preferred early season races. a bit disappointing there are no mt finishes.

should be interesting to see armstrong in the itt.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Astana
Alexandr DYACHENKO (KAZ)
Valentin IGLINSKIY (KAZ)
Josep JUFRE (ESP)
Roman KIREYEV (KAZ)
Bolat RAIMBEKOV (KAZ)
Paolo TIRALONGO (ITA)
Andrey ZEITS (KAZ)

Rabobank
Menchov, Mauricio Ardila, Graeme Brown, Dmitriy Kozontchuk, Stef Clement, Pieter Weening y Steven Kruijswijk

theswordsman said:
Astana
Alexandr DYACHENKO (KAZ)
Valentin IGLINSKIY (KAZ)
Josep JUFRE (ESP)
Roman KIREYEV (KAZ)
Bolat RAIMBEKOV (KAZ)
Paolo TIRALONGO (ITA)
Andrey ZEITS (KAZ)

Rabobank
Menchov, Mauricio Ardila, Graeme Brown, Dmitriy Kozontchuk, Stef Clement, Pieter Weening y Steven Kruijswijk

Astana is definitely bringing the B-squad. Though I'll be interested to see if Tiralongo gets a high podium finish--though I think the TT will do him in. Maybe Jufre or Zeits.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
Actually if Armstrong wasn't in the race, I would tip Kloden to do especially well. But given Armstrong's presence he will be in total domestique role.

I don't know... Lance's history shows he doesn't really try much in races prior to the Tour (or setup races for the Tour like Dauphine/suisse).

Lance may just put some miles in his legs while Kloden goes for a result. He's always made sure everyone works for him in the Tour... but he's never been too possessive about other races.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
Actually if Armstrong wasn't in the race, I would tip Kloden to do especially well. But given Armstrong's presence he will be in total domestique role.

agreed though kloedis performance only a few days ago at algarve was rather modest (both in the itt and the mt finish) .

the race web page claims that armstrong wants to win (at least a stage). i recon hes there to 'send a message' about his improved itt because his 2009 itt performances were lackluster (10th and 16th).

kurtinsc said:
I don't know... Lance's history shows he doesn't really try much in races prior to the Tour (or setup races for the Tour like Dauphine/suisse).

Lance may just put some miles in his legs while Kloden goes for a result. He's always made sure everyone works for him in the Tour... but he's never been too possessive about other races.

My comment wasn't a slight on Lance, it was on Kloden. He just seems to defer to the Armstrong-Ullrich-Contador types.

kurtinsc said:

The TT should suit him to do well. It's 22KM and basically pancake flat. It will be just like his Twitter TT. :D

Not sure, but I meant to quote Python. Somehow I responded twice to Kurtinsc.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Publicus said:
Astana is definitely bringing the B-squad. Though I'll be interested to see if Tiralongo gets a high podium finish--though I think the TT will do him in. Maybe Jufre or Zeits.

Yeah, the main stage racers for Astana are getting ready for Paris-Nice, and Vino & some others are racing Monte Paschi Strade Bianche on Saturday.

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
it's a good chance for Tiralongo, Jufre, Dyachenko to ride for themselves, to get some records for individual palmares

A

Anonymous

anyone found any coverage yet.. ive scoured the spanish stations and there is nothing.. :/

TRENDING THREADS