• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2011 Giro di Lombardia

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
any news on the swiss champion? will he participate or is he calling it a season?

i hope someone other than Gilbert takes this one. i can see now how people could hate The Cannibal

woodenswan said:
i hope someone other than Gilbert takes this one. i can see now how people could hate The Cannibal

i'm a phil fan but even me i don't want him to win again lombardia.
someone here said that froome isn't going,but what about wiggins?

also since tirreno and tour de suisse,i'm still awaiting the revival of il killer.lombardia has to be the big moment.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
maltiv said:
This new course doesn't look particularly hard, perhaps even someone like Sagan or EBH (in top shape) can hang on to fight for the victory? Or at least be a part in the sprint for 2nd, a minute behind Gilbert...

How much proof do people need that Sagan can't handle the distance yet?

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
maltiv said:
This new course doesn't look particularly hard, perhaps even someone like Sagan or EBH (in top shape) can hang on to fight for the victory? Or at least be a part in the sprint for 2nd, a minute behind Gilbert...
Are you serious?

Up until 2009 the profile was this
profile.gif

Then they added the Sormano and dispensed with Civiglio

img_altimetria2011.jpg

This year they've added the Valcava and swapped the Ghisallo & Sormano around as well as subbing in Villa Vergano for San Fermo della Battaglia.

lombardia_altimetria.gif

How on earth can you say it's "not particularly hard"?

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
maltiv said:
Are you serious?

profile.gif

img_altimetria2010_big.gif

This year they've added the Valcava and swapped the Ghisallo & Sormano around as well as subbing in Villa Vergano for San Fermo della Battaglia.

img_altimetria2011.jpg

ultimobici said:
Are you serious?

profile.gif

img_altimetria2010_big.gif

img_altimetria2011.jpg

Well to me it looks like the long climbs are too early in the race, but it was just speculation. Last year EBH was dropped 1 km from the top on the climb where Gilbert attacked in the descent so it's not all that unlikely. But neither of them are in top shape so it probably won't happen.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
maltiv said:
Well to me it looks like the long climbs are too early in the race, but it was just speculation. Last year EBH was dropped 1 km from the top on the climb where Gilbert attacked in the descent so it's not all that unlikely. But neither of them are in top shape so it probably won't happen.
What the profile doesn't convey is the actual nature of the climbs. The surface of the Sormano and that of the Ghisallo is not that great with long stretches of open rough tarmac, in particular the section of 14% on the Ghisallo is purgatory and kills your legs. The section to Bellagio after the Sormano is twisting as well as up and down too. Once in Bellagio, the approach to the Ghisallo is broken up by a could of mini roundabouts followed by an immediate 10% section.

I can't speak about the two reintroduced climbs of the Valcava & Villa Vergano, but suffice it too say that most roads in the are are subject to frost damage in the winter so aren't great. The only climb that was smooth for most of its length was San Fedele, but it still has some choppy bits.

theyoungest said:
EBH can't either. But the more they race this distance, the more chance they'll play a role.

Also, the race is "just" 241 k.
241 km is normally not a problem for EBH, it's at over 250 km he struggles. I mean the Giro stage he won was at 244 km and he placed second on a 242 km one, behind Scarponi (so not particularly flat). I realize that it's probably different in a monument that's raced much harder though, but anyway this discussion is probably pointless as he has no form anyway :p

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
uh, look at msr this year which was the hardets msr I've ever seen

Yeah 17th when half the peloton already was out because of crashes.

MSR IS an indication that he can't handle it yet. Put some real hills or cobbles in it and he finishes somewhere in 90th position.

Though, 17th in MSR is also a good indication for the future. But this year? Nope, too early.

I think only fatigue and a long season can stop Gilbert. Usually the harder the course the better for him. I really cannot think of anyone who could challenge him. Cunego is not the same classics rider he used to be and I don't think Sagan is good enough. These types of races are made for someone like Gilbert. Gesink could probably do well and Rodriguez if they are riding. Evans and Contador won't be there.

TRENDING THREADS