• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2011 Giro di Lombardia

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Could be. I think on paper Gilbert, but I wonder if he'll be tired and it will start to show. He's had a very long season. I don't see EB-H doing anything much, and although I wouldn't rule Sagan out in the future, can't see it this year. If not Gilbert, then I guess it might be Samu's year. Perhaps, maybe.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Lupetto said:
Team Lampre riding the last 180k.

No wonder people almost never remember Scarponi's doping past. Such a great guy!

Anyway, what I like about the new Lombardia is that the Ghisallo climb is closer to the final now and thus more important to the race. As it should be because IMO it's the Ghisallo that makes Lombardia a Monument.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
In typical one-eyed fashion I did think about Wiggo's chances when I saw he was riding this, but then reality got the better of me.

But after the Worlds, and now some other posters are having similar ridiculous thoughts, maybe...

no stop it, I can see how he could dish out hurt and force the final selection, but I dont see how he wins, unless he drops everyone, which is too much

while cunego hasn't been the classics rider he used be for the past 2 years he has had a pretty light season and may have gotten a big moral boast after this good tour performance( i think it was pretty good considering the performances he was having in GT's for the past few years) he may be up there.

with scarponi also riding and maybe niemec if all 3 are in form lampre will be big challengers here. so will liqui with basso+nibali and euskaltel with samu+anton+nieve.

this is far from won for gilbert.

my bold prediction: rui costa to top 10 :cool:

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Shardi said:
like in GP Montreal. Gilbert and the other favourites watch n close down eachother. A 2nd rate rider is able to jump away.

For myself, I think it'll be between the pre-race favourites.
No one gives a stuff about the GP Montreal so losing it to a a lesser rider means little. Allowing a rider to walk away with a Monument is a whole different thing.

Lombardia hasn't had a fluke/second rate winner in living memory AFAIK. In fact, looking down the winners list, it's pretty much a who's who of cycling royalty. Anyone who is a legend in the sport is there.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Shardi said:
Yep, a monument is a monument.

By 2nd rate, I mean someone not talked up beforehand as a potential winner.

That's not second rate, that's a surprise. Second rate is unworthy.

Fignon won the 83 Tour, but no one had him as a contender at all. He was far from second rate!

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Eric8-A said:
Hopefully more riders finish this year than last year
I was at the top of the first climb that day. It was spitting a little as the break went through. Five minutes later, when the bunch was passing, it was torrential and didn't stop until the finish. a few hundred metres from the summit was a nice cheery sign that read "Arrivo 200km". No wonder I was descending with a lot of pros back to Como!

Forecast this year appears to be the other end of the spectrum. Fingers crossed it stays that way!

ultimobici said:
I was at the top of the first climb that day. It was spitting a little as the break went through. Five minutes later, when the bunch was passing, it was torrential and didn't stop until the finish. a few hundred metres from the summit was a nice cheery sign that read "Arrivo 200km". No wonder I was descending with a lot of pros back to Como!

Forecast this year appears to be the other end of the spectrum. Fingers crossed it stays that way!
Lombardia is nice in every kind of weather, but why hope for sunshine when we had such a great race last year?

LukeSchmid said:
Everybody is second rate over this course to Gilbert. He has proven this year he is head and shoulders above everyone.
Gilbert himself was second rate once.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
ultimobici said:
That's not second rate, that's a surprise. Second rate is unworthy.

Fignon won the 83 Tour, but no one had him as a contender at all. He was far from second rate!

I don't use second rate to mean unworthy, I just mean a level below, in this case Gilbert.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Lombardia is nice in every kind of weather, but why hope for sunshine when we had such a great race last year?
Because I land in Milan on 7/10 and leave on 17/10!

As you say, Lombardia is beautiful no matter the weather. But riding in single digit temperatures and rain is something I do all summer long in London.

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Shardi said:
like in GP Montreal. Gilbert and the other favourites watch n close down eachother. A 2nd rate rider is able to jump away.

ultimobici said:
No one gives a stuff about the GP Montreal so losing it to a a lesser rider means little. Allowing a rider to walk away with a Monument is a whole different thing.

Johan Van Summeren ;)