• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2011 Tour de France Stage 11: Blaye-les-Mines Lavaur 167.5 km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

Parrulo said:
a boring stage with roughly 1200 posts? :eek:

hint: 40 posts per page here, you guys should do the same imo its much better then moving from page to page every 2 posts . . .

I am on the 40 posts per page and just like "High Cadence" works like magic for somebody, 40 posts per page has worked wonders for me :p.

Parrulo said:
i was just joking :p

Figured as much but might as well be clear (and in part to go along with your comment ;))

zamasailo said:
I am on the 40 posts per page and just like "High Cadence" works like magic for somebody, 40 posts per page has worked wonders for me :p.
Parrulo said:
you don't need to be stuck with 10ppp all you have to do is go to your user CP

Hmm I might consider changing it as well then, I usually run with max posts on a page anyway just never been bothered for some reason (same reason I just got an avatar for the first time (not counting the Wouter one) a few days ago)

Jamsque said:
Cav vs Greipel, round 2. I think the HTC train rolls, Cav wins and takes the green jersey.

Agreed. Cav will be more motivated than the others. I wonder if the same will happen with Griepel, as what's seemingly happened with Farrar. He's got his win, so the edge and motivation has gone.

I think Gilbert will attack on the hill before the intermediate, but you'd have to think there's a limit to his attacking somewhere, even for him. Today probably took a lot out of him, even if it did buy his team a better chance of the stage.

Bromers said:
Will Martin and Velits give 100% for the HTC train tomorrow or will they save something for stage 12?

I seem to recall reading somewhere that Martin at least will take it easy to rest up for Stage 12 and I suppose the same would go for Velits. They might help a bit but I doubt they'll go to deep.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Mambo95 said:
Round 4, surely? Round 5 if you count the stage Farrar won.

I was working by the old rule that it isn't a rivalry until both sides have won something. Until today, there was only Cav. Now, there is Cav and Greipel.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
There is the whole Cav v Everyone Else rivalry which has simply born into fruition because he is so dominant but there are many other subset rivalries of that such as the Cavendish v Pettachi rivalry, Cavendish v Farrar, Cavendish v Greipel, Cavendish v Kenny van Hummel.

*that last one may not be necessarily true ;-)

Read bits of today's stage thread at work this afternoon with a mixture of frustration and amusement.

There really are some serious haters around here.

Griepel wins fair and square in rather tortured circumstances, but without sprinting a great deal faster than Thor Hushovd, and instantly half this board wants to believe he's suddenly on a par with Cav, who once again is purely the product of a sprint train and not that great on his own (cross reference Bourdeaux & Paris last year for confirmation...).

Frankly, I'll be surprised if he doesn't win by 3 bike lengths or more.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Nah, you're forgetting that a Cav win is a tedious non event, whilst any time he gets beaten it's extremely exciting, and usually a definitive statement on who is fastest. Pay more attention!

Yes Cav can win without a train, but most of his wins were tedious non events with a few exceptions here and there. He benefits from a very strong team and to be honest, I'm pretty sure he'd win a lot less if he didn't have a team like HTC.

Ramira said:
I reckon you're in for quite a surprise then. He's the absolute favourite but he's not going to win by 3 bike lengths over the likes of Greipel and Farrar.

What, like he did last year after a slow start? On form he can destroy all these guys, if his fitness is anywhere near then today is likely to spur him on.

Try watching this from 6 minutes onwards -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K_1Dnl0mdA

3 bike lengths was a significant underestimate if gets anywhere near that.

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Read bits of today's stage thread at work this afternoon with a mixture of frustration and amusement.

There really are some serious haters around here.

Griepel wins fair and square in rather tortured circumstances, but without sprinting a great deal faster than Thor Hushovd, and instantly half this board wants to believe he's suddenly on a par with Cav, who once again is purely the product of a sprint train and not that great on his own (cross reference Bourdeaux & Paris last year for confirmation...).

Frankly, I'll be surprised if he doesn't win by 3 bike lengths or more.

+1 Especially if it's pan flat unlike anything we've had so far. I thought today he did far more than was expected by many posters on here who thought he'd be dropped on the climbs. Also he's contesting both sprints where Griepel & Farrar aren't. this must be having some effect as per his twitter:-

"At least we're making up ground for the Green Jersey. Maybe the intermediate sprints are dampening my kick, but I'd love to wear it in Paris"

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Another stage where 5-6(with at least 2 french) riders get in a break get about 6 minutes on the peloton, but get picked up with 20-30km left, a few riders counter the catch and make the sprinters teams chase that little bit longer but then it all comes together for a field sprint, which Cav wins, YAWN YAWN YAWN. Couldn't they have made this a 50km ITT(I'm guessing they didn't cos the Schlecks would be screwed) so the GC contenders had to do some work before stage 12's jaunt to the mountains.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Would be great at some point to see a Grand Depart in Bordeaux or something, so we can get straight into the Pyrenees with less flat stages in the first week :) Then a diversion up through the Massif Central, then back to the Alps

Waterloo Sunrise said:
Nah, you're forgetting that a Cav win is a tedious non event, whilst any time he gets beaten it's extremely exciting, and usually a definitive statement on who is fastest. Pay more attention!

A Cav win where he has to forage for himself or fights over obstacles that we didn't expect him to can be an exciting event.

A barrelled fish shoot as most sprints where everybody lets HTC dictate terms for the last 50km then just get inevitably blown away are, is a tedious non event.

The only shot this stage has for excitement is if Jens is given free rein or Chavanel suddenly comes to life.

Thursday will be interesting though. I can't wait to watch such notable climbers as Jens and Cancellara inexplicably dropping guys like Gesink and Moncoutie in the mountains. :rolleyes: