• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2011 Tour de France Stage 16 (18/7/2011): Saint-Paul-Trois-Châteaux - Gap, 162.5km

Page 54 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
King Of The Wolds said:
Making faceless, personal attacks on a young man who, quite literally, risks his life on a daily basis for our entertainment, says a lot more about those making those attacks than the recipient himself.

He risks his life (sometimes) for money, fame and excitement. I don't totally disagree with you about the faceless attacks, but let me know when he starts riding for free and I'll shut up.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
King Of The Wolds said:
Making faceless, personal attacks on a young man who, quite literally, risks his life on a daily basis for our entertainment, says a lot more about those making those attacks than the recipient himself.

While making more money than I or most people on here will ever make

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
King Of The Wolds said:
I'd relax, it's mostly all in jest. Unfortunately he makes himself such an easy target almost every time he opens his mouth.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Grayguard said:
Well, I'll come out of the closet, and admit I used to be a Schleck fan (Andy and Fränk alike) a year ago. Partly because they were riding for Riis, partly because of this extremely talented young rider which seemed to have no end to his possibilities.

Since then I've changed my mind. Some of it might be because of the way they left Riis (and the fact they left at all), but some is also because, I think, while his ego has grown, his abilities has not.

Why everyone else is "bashing" him or whatever, I cannot say. But when I do it, it's to let him know, why he has lost a lot of status im *my* eyes, and what he needs to do to regain it. I.e. show that you *want* to win - take risks - and stop blaming everyone and everything.

I did enjoy both of their riding up until the Mt Ventoux stage. While it was admirable for Andy to try to get his brother on the podium, I still thought it was weird for him (i) not to at least try to get rid of Bertie and (ii) not to try to win the stage. That's when I had my first doubts. Needless to say that last year hasn't endeared me to baby Schleck either, but this TdF really takes the cake. Up until the Plateau, it seemed like baby Schleck had his first GT served to him on a platter, and now he's just about squandered it away. The most positive feeling I could express for baby Schleck is pity. But to be honest, it feels more like watching a spoiled brat get a karmic b!tch slap.

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
VeloCity said:
All of these guys deserve respect, from Voeckler on down to Bakkazakova - criticize their tactics, their rides, etc, sure, but is there really any need for the personal disparagement?

If he does not want fans to 'personally disparage' him then he should front up when he has ridden badly and stop trying to blame everyone and everything else for his poor performance. Real champions overcome whatever is put in front of them. There is more to gaining respect from fans than being fitter than them - of course he can ride faster than us, doh he is a pro rider. Respect comes from performance on the road and how you behave on and off the bike. If you treat fans as idiots with such feeble excuse making you lose that respect in the blink of an eye.

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
VeloCity said:
The personal denigration of the Schleck's is getting a bit out of hand. Saying that Andy needs girl panties or pink tutu's while sitting in front of your computer watching him do something you are totally incapable of doing? Really? He's a thousand times the athlete and cyclist you or I or any of us will ever be. Who cares if he whines once in a while? He's still a kid, he's under enormous pressure, he's frustrated, he had a bad day, of course he might say something dumb. Contador has, too. So has Evans. So has every other pro cyclist out there.

All of these guys deserve respect, from Voeckler on down to Bakkazakova - criticize their tactics, their rides, etc, sure, but is there really any need for the personal disparagement?

You're right. Personal denigration reminds me too much of football, baseball, or basketball fans.

But as someone else wrote, he has a history of complaining. The biggest problem I see is that his complaints only occur when the situation doesn't benefit him. Did he complain about the courses that led to major contenders crashing out or falling behind on GC? He's young, but not that young. Has AC complained this tour? Maybe Andy doesn't know how to properly express his feelings without coming across in a negative fashion. For example, didn't he dismiss AC as not a major threat anymore and also said that he wouldn't be worried about going into the final ITT with 1:45 on AC?

You're right about Evans, although this is the first tour where I haven't heard him whine about his team, his opponents, fans, or organizers. So far, he's only thrown water on one person...

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
King Of The Wolds said:

He is not risking his life to entertain us. He is doing a sport he loves and earning millions in the meantime. He is a great athlethe and all, but dont make him a matyr.

Sure some of the things that gets written goes a bt too far, but other than that I think its perfectly ok to criticise his statements today.

Ryo Hazuki said:
that doesn't matter, he's simply not a climber. I can see him lose some serious time on alpe dhuez and galibier, both he could lose over 2 minutes on contador. evans isn't cut out for real high mountains unless they sofptedal like on plateau de beille

Where does this "he's not a climber" belief come from? He's obviously far from pretty when he's wrestling with his bike, but it still leaves him among the elite climbers (of which he has to be considered) and currently just below Contador and Samu. I think the "he can't climb with the best" statement is just an excuse some of his fans use to make it seem as if Evans is a harder worker and more tactically astute than his rivals.

King Of The Wolds said:

Maybe personal attacks is a bit much, but he doesn't do it for our entertainment. He does it for the money, the fame and mostly for the glory. If he was doing it for our entertainment he'd be more entertaining.

I don't begrudge him his success, but he is a frustrating rider. So much talent that he just doesn't seem confident or keen enough to use. You'd expect him to be the kind of rider I love, but I just don't seem to be enthused by him. One day he's got to strike out on his own. Martin Fourcade doesn't wait for his brother to come out the penalty loop, Aimar Olaizola doesn't throw league matches to get his older brother through to the next round, Andy Schleck shouldn't wait for his brother when the Tour de France is at stake either.

To tell the truth, I always thought Fränk was overrated and to an extent still do, and I always held that Puerto link and how it was conveniently forgotten against him. But Fränk's a more entertaining rider than Andy and despite being the less talented brother, has compiled the better palmarès. Well, in terms of victories anyway.

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
King Of The Wolds said:

Well, this is an Internet forum so things will tend to be faceless - it kind of goes without saying. I'd be happy to say it to his face though - 'stop whining and concentrate on beating your opponents'. Unless he does that he is beaten before he gets on the road.

As for risking his life - out training maybe when he will be just like the rest of us and fighting for road space with cars - but thankfully deaths are rare during races.

ManInFull said:
Just a pathetic excuse by Baby Schleck. He does not deserve to be on the podium, especially the top podium.

As long as Contador finishes ahead of Andy in the end, I'm happy as a clam.
As I stated long ago Andy could learn alot from his brother in terms of how to be a proper sportsman. Sometimes I read his quotes and a 5 year old whose lost in a game of checkers comes to mind. He loses and turns the board over angrily, sending the pieces flying as he storms away with his bottome lip stuck out and tears in his eyes. Get this baby a pacifier!

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Angliru said:
Get this baby a pacifier!

You mean this pacifier??:p

zzz.jpg

(Must. Stop. Laughing. At. Andy :p)

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Grayguard said:
While Andy is struggling at the respect department, I have to say some of his fans are experts ;)

I can't take credit for that photo, I think pantani_lives either made it or originally posted it on the forum. It's a classic, though. Makes me laugh every time :D

jobiwan said:
I can't take credit for that photo, I think pantani_lives either made it or originally posted it on the forum. It's a classic, though. :D

You still gain alot of respect in my eyes for that post - and other similar posts I've seen. Being able to be a fan, and still see the humour in some of your "hero's" shortcomings is a rare quality - Cudos :)

May 26, 2009
Visit site
If only Andy was as classy as jobiwan, I'd be a member of the Schleck fan club, but until the day he stops acting like a biatch, I'll be firmly in the laugh at Andy club.

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
And if Andy was nice and polite and said a bunch of neutral, non-controversial stuff, he'd be slammed for being boring and not having the mentality of a winner.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
VeloCity said:
And if Andy was nice and polite and said a bunch of neutral, non-controversial stuff, he'd be slammed for being boring and not having the mentality of a winner.

You've just described Contador.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
And for that money, he performs twice a year.

While we have to work and perform every day if we don't want to get fired... :rolleyes:

So all the other days he's just doing nothing? Huh..........that some gift he's got.;)

Guys a good rider. He just isn't a good speaker.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
VeloCity said:

There is a middle ground.

There was a college football coach at the University of Florida who was very well known for trash talking, one Steve Spurrier. But while he talked trash, he also owned up to shortcomings.

I'm a graduate of the University of Georgia, and Spurrier ragged on us constantly. One year he was asked if Florida could beat UGA. UGA's coach at the time was named Ray Goff. Spurrier said "Does that Ray Goof fella still coach UGA? What do you think?"

A few years later, UGA finally beat Florida after a long string of losses. When asked what happened, he said "Georgia was just better then us. That's all you can say."

Talking trash is fine... making excuses or blaming others is not.