• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2011 Tour de France Stage 6: Dinan - Lisieux, 226.5 km

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

Let me make clear, I could be wrong...I am not sure that any of you seem to understand that you could be wrong also. The differing blinders issued to fans of specific riders are funny to watch. Many of you hammer on specific other riders, but when it comes to yours, there is little to no objectivity. I guess the Armstrong phenomenon is a universal one after all...

Thoughtforfood said:
And I saw him putting pressure on the pedals and not making much headway in relation to the effort he expended. This chain of events shows that in my opinion.

Making much headway? He moved from two-thirds of the way down the peloton out of that right hand turn, to the front of few riders just as Vanendert put in his dig. I guess it turns on how you view those chain of events. For you it was an attempt to cover an attack, for me he was moving up to the front.

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
patrick767 said:
He crashed with only around 4-5km left. Really tough break. He'll have a hard time making that up in the mountains. Shack down to two riders (Kloden/Horner) for possible GC leader?

Look out for an attacking Leipheimer now when they hit the mountains.:D

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Let me make clear, I could be wrong...I am not sure that any of you seem to understand that you could be wrong also. The differing blinders issued to fans of specific riders are funny to watch. Many of you hammer on specific other riders, but when it comes to yours, there is little to no objectivity. I guess the Armstrong phenomenon is a universal one after all...

Arguing with Contador fans is a battle of attrition you can never win, they'll always outnumber you, every time you think you've beaten one, another one pops up :p

A

Anonymous

Publicus said:
Making much headway? He moved from two-thirds of the way down the peloton out of that right hand turn, to the front of few riders just as Vanendert put in his dig. I guess it turns on how you view those chain of events. For you it was an attempt to cover an attack, for me he was moving up to the front.

Yea, I think that is the crux of the problem, and honestly, the only one who knows is Contador. I think he was trying to cover obviously.

Thoughtforfood said:
And part of my point is that I BELIEVE that because of the Giro, he will not achieve the same result as he did there. Keep up with the discussion if you are going to interject. To me, he also looked sharper there, but again (let me make this clear) THAT IS JUST MY OPINION.

No need to be aggressive here.

Dunno man, he lost Scarponis wheel while looking back (looked pretty much like today for a fact) and the thread exploded with comments like yours.

You may be right, but as i don´t read to much in what happened the other day against Evans, nor do i think its fair to make any assumptions of today. That is my opinion.

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
patrick767 said:
It would be nice to see Kloden finally have another chance to ride for his own GC placing again though so we can really see what he can do.

ITA. would love to see what he and horner could do riding for themselves. levi will have to split domestique duties for them.

A

Anonymous

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Again, that was Vanendert, not Jvdb.
You keep making the same mistake :confused:

thats because the commentators were saying it was JvdB

As for today. A lot of people are now starting to sit up and realise just how good G really is. Strong performances in the classics especially Flanders, decent time triallist, White jersey two years in a row in the Tour now, and one of the best leadout guys in the business.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
yes, maybe after stage 9. sadly i think they'll pick horner because he caters to their american fanbase & sponsors.

*edit: sorry, meant stage 12..

patrick767 said:
I think they have to see who has the best form in the mountains. It would be nice to see Kloden finally have another chance to ride for his own GC placing again though so we can really see what he can do. As you no doubt know, he's always had such great potential for the grand tours but has spent so much of his career riding for others.

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
He is over a minute down on GC, so I think his attacking is in relation to that and his worry of the future stages, and not some effort to show he can attack.

Can't you just come out and say that you want some fairness in the world and that the world will only be fair if AC doesn't win the Tour? That will save some responses because we get the feeling that you are one of the nitpickers--if he doesn't dominate in every instance, that's a form of weakness.

Lanark said:
Arguing with Contador fans is a battle of attrition you can never win, they'll always outnumber you, every time you think you've beaten one, another one pops up :p

I'm no Contador fan(no hater either), but I don't think he's right.
Not going to start a discussion with him though. Pointless discussion anyways.

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Jamsque said:
New green jersey standings:

Gilbert 144
Rojas 143
Hushovd 112
Evans 98
Cavendish 94
Farrar 76
Feillu 73
EBH 51
Hinault 48
Greipel 48

Rojas has nearly 50 points on Cavendish now.

Good news for Cav, Omega Pharma doesn't allow (!) Gilbert to sprint tomorrow, they'll only work for Greipel. It looks like it will be a race between Rojas and Cavendish for green then. Tomorrow's supersprint is less than 20 km from the finish, I'm curious what they'll do.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Dutchsmurf said:
You might very well be right. I didn't see anything today that indicated a lack of strength tho. In my opinion he looked sharp. Attacking today was useless anyway. To me it looked more like staying safe and being in front in case an other contender would give it a try.

Why would a GC rider spend energy closing the gap on a sprinters closing?? AC tested his legs and vibrations on the hill after that looked for some sprinter to close it out. Smart move. I agree, pointless to attack. Cadel hasn't changed, why is he pushing so hard on these early stages? Did the same last year on Giro and tdf and collasped on the first major hill in both races. I have always faulted him on strategy, still hasn't got it right.

A

Anonymous

No_Balls said:
No need to be aggressive here.

Dunno man, he lost Scarponis wheel while looking back (looked pretty much like today for a fact) and the thread exploded with comments like yours.

You may be right, but as i don´t read to much in what happened the other day against Evans, nor do i think its fair to make any assumptions of today. That is my opinion.

Cool, sorry, with the deluge of contrary opinion, I got a bit over cooked. You could very well be right, I just think it will be harder for him to pull of what he did in the Giro here because the Giro was so hard.

A

Anonymous

Publicus said:
Agreed. Glad we narrowed that down. Now on to world peace. :D

I'll start with North Korea, and you can have the Middle East (hey, I chose first)...I think we can pull it off.:)

A

Anonymous

ManInFull said:
Can't you just come out and say that you want some fairness in the world and that the world will only be fair if AC doesn't win the Tour? That will save some responses because we get the feeling that you are one of the nitpickers--if he doesn't dominate in every instance, that's a form of weakness.

Honestly, I don't care what you get the feeling about. *** edited by mod ***

A

Anonymous

ManInFull said:

Oh yea, little friendly advice, generally, we project those things we hate about ourselves onto others. Also, when you use "we" to confer opinion onto others, that is generally a narcissistic trait. You can leave a check for the therapy with the receptionist when you leave. You're welcome.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Kwibus said:
I'm no Contador fan(no hater either), but I don't think he's right.
Not going to start a discussion with him though. Pointless discussion anyways.

Exactly.

Thoughtforfood: No snap. Couldn't cover. MY OPINION.
Rest of Forum: We get it! Move on!

;)

AC lent his snap to EBH today.

A

Anonymous

*G*K*S* said:
Exactly.

Thoughtforfood: No snap. Couldn't cover. MY OPINION.
Rest of Forum: We get it! Move on!

;)

AC lent his snap to EBH today.

Hey, there were like two other people who agreed with me...