• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2011 Tour de France Stage 6: Dinan - Lisieux, 226.5 km

Page 27 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
lilyprotector said:
i've been hearing that it's horner or levi but never kloden, which has me confused. is there some reason they think klodi can't compete as well as the others bec i don't get it. so will levi be riding support here on out?

I don't think Klöden wants to be a leader, at least that's how it used to be, maybe he's changed his opinion with age.

And I absolutely don't understand his popularity here on cyclingnews. As far as I'm concerned he is extremely unlikable, as a person and athlete, for a multitude of reasons. Is it just the not-Lance factor or what?

theyoungest said:
Honestly, I don't see how this could be interpreted otherwise :confused:

First of all, where did i say anything about JVDB?
Secondly, how would i be obsessed with any of this? I think you will find others that fit the bill a lot more if you are looking for people that are obsessed regarding that topic. I am no more obsessed with Gesink than i am with Basso, Wiggins, Evans etc...
Furthermore, the guy fell. Contador also fell, Wiggins fell, basically everybody fell except Evans, JVDB and maybe the schlecks (though i'm not sure). They didn't crack their skull, they didn't break their colarbone, their arms or their ribs. They will feel sore for days, sure, that's the least that happens. But it doesn't necessarily have to be worse than that. And again, i hope it's not.

Any comparison to JVDB i will keep for that topic, where i have already given my opinion regarding talent, bad luck, focus etc...

May 19, 2010
Visit site
No_Balls said:
:D

Yes, very much like this. Sometimes it is funny, but the massive amounts of chauvinism in it becomes boring and a bit embarrasing after hearing it over and over. It is always like this.

I'm so happy that EBH won. And I am almost equally happy that I didn't have to listen to Paasche and Lauritzen on Norwegain TV2 cumming in their pants. Thank god for Eurosport with Swedish commentary.

TeamSkyFans said:
thats because the commentators were saying it was JvdB

As for today. A lot of people are now starting to sit up and realise just how good G really is. Strong performances in the classics especially Flanders, decent time triallist, White jersey two years in a row in the Tour now, and one of the best leadout guys in the business.

I have to say I'm very impressed and am most excited about how he progresses ib the cobbled races.

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
very happy EBH won!

have to say i love reading this forum after a race! thanks, cycling fans:)

after watching stage 5 over and over, esp. the crash of jani, and rabo riders, it was great to see gesink finish as strong as he did and keep fighting!

contador's statement after the race goes along with what i was thinking about him: he didn't have the legs and it wasn't his kind of stage.

also thinking, getting to the end of a 1st tough week where he is, is fine. and he was one little push away from winning a stage. had he managed that? the tune would be different. true, he's not in devastating form, but he kept up with evans and gained a few seconds on AS.

i'm not emotionally invested in AC winning TDF this year. there are a few riders i hope don't win but i'm easily won over by a great ride. that's how AC has won me over the past years and of course, his giro performance - have to admire his sheer mental/emotional toughness of what he did even more than his physical talent.

the VS commentary (bobke the most) is anxious to write him off or at least jumps to be critical of contador - which influences me to like him more ;)

Zinoviev Letter said:
All countries do it. Small countries are more likely to do overdo it though, because top level success is more unexpected and more of a novelty. You should try watching boxing with the Irish commentators some time. It does my head in completely.

Perhaps. There has been more of a chauvinistic tone lately that i don´t like (not that i don´t enjoy the victories, though). When Arvesen won back in 2008 they was more in chock, Paasche acted like the clown he always is, but they were genuine in their joy back then. Gentlemen, perspective please.

Hatcher said:
Ah, cycling fans are too uptight imo. Wish everyone could enjoy a win as much as that guy did.

Nothing wrong with passion, but you grow tired of it after a while, hence everything is with passion and zero objective analyses in this case.

neinneinnei said:
I'm so happy that EBH won. And I am almost equally happy that I didn't have to listen to Paasche and Lauritzen on Norwegain TV2 cumming in their pants. Thank god for Eurosport with Swedish commentary.

It is a wonderful day for norwegian cycling. Herlig gjeng. But i knew i wasn´t alone in my stand :)

It is Vacchi at the swedish eurosport, no?

May 20, 2010
Visit site
therhodeo said:
Thats only a real classification if you're Radioshack and Lance is out.

LOL! That's exactly what I was thinking.

Back to AC's form (or lack thereof)...what's up with all these mechanicals and bike changes? Phil 'n' Paul kept saying today that a lack of form has contributed to his "bad luck" so far. Which is, of course, absurd. But still, he's spent an awful lot of time off the back changing bikes--even tossing a balky machine into the ditch in disgust.

:confused:

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Mambo95 said:
In that case, you've been watching a different race to me so far.

Both Cav and Farrar had beautiful wins, (Just rewatched all the finals). I just hope to see an all arounder win the green. If Rojas can hang in over the mountains, I'd prefer him to win green, I just can't get excited about Cav or Farrar. Hoping the relegations don't mean much in the end, hoping for an all-rounder to win green.

Desperate Moments said:
LOL! That's exactly what I was thinking.

Back to AC's form (or lack thereof)...what's up with all these mechanicals and bike changes? Phil 'n' Paul kept saying today that a lack of form has contributed to his "bad luck" so far. Which is, of course, absurd. But still, he's spent an awful lot of time off the back changing bikes--even tossing a balky machine into the ditch in disgust.

:confused:

I suggest you don´t read to much in what this dynamic duo says. They would convince the listeners that a natural break from AC is a sign of weakness.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
I'm officially part of the Leipheimer hate club (not personally, since I don't know the guy other than comments from others), but his riding style is just painful. Levi could wheelsuck the dimples off a set of Zipps.

was more a backwards complement on youR one liners over the last 2 days - I hear ya re LL

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Lexman said:
i always thought the only race where the nationality of the winner is important is the world championship race and the other races are done with an international team.... except when you're french ...
It's important for small countries where cycling is a small sport, as success breeds enthusiasm and recruitment.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
washoezephyr1 said:
Both Cav and Farrar had beautiful wins, (Just rewatched all the finals). I just hope to see an all arounder win the green. If Rojas can hang in over the mountains, I'd prefer him to win green, I just can't get excited about Cav or Farrar. Hoping the relegations don't mean much in the end, hoping for an all-rounder to win green.

The problem with Rojas is that he's a bit of a journeyman. He's having his best season ever, but in six years as a pro he's only ever won six races. He's very adept at coming between third and seventh in lots of races.

If he wins he will deserve it, but if he wins it by coming between third and seventh a lot, it will be an underwhelming win for me, much like Charteau winning the KOM last year.

spalco said:
I don't think Klöden wants to be a leader...I'm concerned he is extremely unlikable, as a person and athlete, for a multitude of reasons. Is it just the not-Lance factor or what?

I think because like Levi, he's bland and dull as dishwater. Both on the road, and off it. Maybe that's it. On this side of the pond we pick on Levi instead of him because of their native language I guess, but they both have similar riding styles, and similar personalities (if you can call it personality).

Alpe d'Huez said:
I think because like Levi, he's bland and dull as dishwater. Both on the road, and off it. Maybe that's it. On this side of the pond we pick on Levi instead of him because of their native language I guess, but they both have similar riding styles, and similar personalities (if you can call it personality).

This is a pro-Klodi forum, sir. You may be asked to leave if you keep this up--mod or no. :mad:

TRENDING THREADS