• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2011 Vuelta a España Stage 17: Faustino V --> Peña Cabarga 211,0 km

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
egtalbot said:
Wow. Just got to watch this. Unreal, I was screaming at the video and I don't even care who wins the race.

I'll remember this one for a while.

me too.one of bets pieces of cycling I've ever seen in my life. it had everything you could wish for. this is something you can show anyone and they will be impressed

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
Popovych!

No wait, he's below average right now.

Still a good domestique I'd say, but what a shadow of his former self. What a piti, he's actually a very nice guy.

Kinda strange he got his best GT results with Landbouwkrediet though.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
the asian said:
Dan Martin is Irish.

;)

1.jpg

3.jpg

Dan is British, though has decided to represent Ireland to give a greater chance of representing the national squad.(at the time GB funding was purely focussing on Track talent) In Hindsight, I'm not sure it was his best move.

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
the asian said:
Dan Martin is Irish.

Born in Birminghan (England) but he rides with an Irish licence, just like Froome rides with a British licence but was born elsewhere (and Wiggins and Millar as well).

In fact, of the 4 main Irish pro's only Philip Deignan was born in Ireland (Martin- England, Brammeier- England, Roche- France).

Anyway, this is off topic, sorry.

Pena Cabarga
2011:6 km@9,2%---17:11---average speed 20.95 km/h(Christopher Froome)
2010:6 km@9,2%---16:58---average speed 21.22 km/h(Joaquim Rodriguez)

big time differences on the average speeds of the stages...40 km/h in 2010 and almost 44 km/h this year and the stage was way longer too.

Josean Matxin Fernandez, le directeur sportif de l'équipe espagnole. "Froome était plus fort que Cobo, il sprintait dans une rampe à 18% !

definitely one of the best stages i've ever witnessed

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I am simply bemused everytime, how much focus anglophones put on heritage. Must be some sort of island mentality because you don't see other Europeans do it.

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Tuarts said:
I am simply bemused everytime, how much focus anglophones put on heritage. Must be some sort of island mentality because you don't see other Europeans do it.

It is incredibly important.
Dan Martin was born in Britain so when he does well he's British despite choosing to ride for Ireland.
Chris Froome however has chosen to ride for GB so despite being born in Kenya, when he does well he too is British.

You get it in other sports too. When Andy Murray wins, he's British, when he loses, he's Scotish.

Simple :D

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Reverend_T_Preedy said:
Born in Birminghan (England) but he rides with an Irish licence, just like Froome rides with a British licence but was born elsewhere (and Wiggins and Millar as well).

In fact, of the 4 main Irish pro's only Philip Deignan was born in Ireland (Martin- England, Brammeier- England, Roche- France).

If someone is born from 2 British parents he's British to me(Froome)

Kinda like I see Cancellara as an Italian. Although Swiss consists of nothing but Germans, French and Italians anyway, so that's different.

Mind you, Wiggins is Belgian then :p

Reverend_T_Preedy said:

And the four most prominent British riders today were not born in Great Britain (Millar-Malta, Cavendish-Man, Wiggins-Belgium, Froome-Kenia).

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
who cares. that 1 km was better than anything in the tour

Erm, stage 16, 17, 18 and 19 were better than everything this Vuelta showed so far. And Super-Besse stage was also way better than anything in this Vuelta joke.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Erm, stage 16, 17, 18 and 19 were better than everything this Vuelta showed so far. And Super-Besse stage was also way better than anything in this Vuelta joke.

Care to elaborate why Tour stages 16 and 17 were better than the Liquigas TTT on the way to Córdoba or Super-Besse better than El Escorial? :cool:

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
icefire said:
Care to elaborate why Tour stages 16 and 17 were better than the Liquigas TTT on the way to Córdoba or Super-Besse better than El Escorial? :cool:

Super-Besse had attacks from 40km out and a lot of attacks from TJVG and Costa. El Escorial was nothing but an uphill sprint? :)

Liquigas TTT was good, but not as good as Contador ripping the field apart on a little hill.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Yes. And in Belgium there are only Dutch and French people.

And a few Germans.

Ethnically speaking yes. Same goes for Swiss as both countries of course have gained a unique culture and history over the centuries.

Ps: Italians are the biggest minority group in Belgium by the way. I'd say there are more Italians in Belgium than Germans. Especially in Lieja.