• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Giro d'Italia; May 16th; Stage 11: Assisi - Montecatini Terme (255km)

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
therhodeo said:
If I remember correctly someone talked at TOC last year about a street sprint competition and Chicchi was mentioned as a favorite by teammates given how quick he is from a standing start which is almost what that corner created.

Guys like him and Bo's are very quicky in that scenario yes. I believe it was discussion around the Canada thing?

May 27, 2010
Visit site
will10 said:
Cornering is part of the sport, particularly for a sprinter.

Completely agree, but there has been a crash in every sprint now with all but one being on a corner and it's getting rediculous.

It is part of the sprint though, would just like to see all the sprinters dragging to the line

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Uhuh. I don't mind the technical corners near the end. More unpredictable then train deliveries.

It was only the case because of the distance and climb though, no one leadout strong enough to keep pace high, so a real messy sprint where strength and positioning for all of the final 1-2km is important (unless you can come flying like Chicchi).

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Gloin22 said:
Cav had to slow down because he would have crashed into Thomas. He lost the spped and was over geared and couldn't' really get the spped that's why the different style of sprint. Still I think he would have lsot today, but if not that it would have been close.

Ferrari and cav appeared to launch at similar speeds, it was obviousl he struggled to get going after the corner.

Gloin22 said:
Cav had to slow down because he would have crashed into Thomas. He lost the spped and was over geared and couldn't' really get the spped that's why the different style of sprint. Still I think he would have lsot today, but if not that it would have been close.

This. Thomas took a completely wrong corner, he even had to put down his right foot to keep up (almost like in Moto GP lol)

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA cav, in your face, beaten at your own home :L

fantastic for androni _O_ and ferrari

what? ferrari was amazing today and a f»cking *** the other day.

cav has nothing to do with it.

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Pff, I was already surprised that the peloton didn't crash in the corner at 500 meters. Turns out that there was another one after that!

Giro spints = crashes. Makes me even wondering more why they have fired Zomegman for designing to dangerous courses...

hrotha said:
Yeah but teleporting over fallen riders is not a sprinter skill.

The finishes this year have been silly. When there's a crash every single day, you have to start wondering.

Something that the more "traditional" Giro contains.
Squeezy, twisty, crashy circuits.

Zomegnan got rid of all of that, when he got rid of..............er..........sprint stages.

Lol they didn't make Zome go for that
Another_Dutch_Guy said:
Pff, I was already surprised that the peloton didn't crash in the corner at 500 meters. Turns out that there was another one after that!

Giro spints = crashes. Makes me even wondering more why they have fired Zomegman for designing to dangerous courses...

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
therhodeo said:
Androni has 2 stage wins already and we haven't even hit the high mountain stuff yet. They've got to be pleased with that.

yesterday they showed androni at dinner tabel and the atmosphere was already great

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Just like that previous sprint with the 90 degree left-hander at around 350-250m before the finish, this was again quite exciting. It really taps a couple of different sprint skills, including bike handeling and a different type of acceleration. Sprinters have to go from 0 to max in about 300 meter contrary to those compulsively obsessed full speed preparations on Broadway.

More technical sprint finishes please!

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Something that the more "traditional" Giro contains.
Squeezy, twisty, crashy circuits.

Zomegnan got rid of all of that, when he got rid of..............er..........sprint stages.

HAHAHAHA this is sooo true!

TRENDING THREADS