• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Giro d'Italia; May 18th; Stage 13: Savona - Cervere (121km)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Froome19 said:
I think you are making a lot out of nothing. This stage is a destined for a flat out sprint (contested between all the sprinters asides from Guardini and Bos) as much as nearly any other GT stage.

Yeah, that was pretty much the conclusion i came to.

Just looking for a chance that it may develop into something other than a break going of a few guys who have team bosses who are angry about the lack of riders in breaks recently, followed by the Sky-led peloton who allow them a few minutes lead before sweeping them up with 10k to go. The hills give a bit of opportunity for something more exciting but not enough IMO. Possible the odd sprinter might get dropped on the hills but i would have thought they would be busting a gut to stay on the back knowing they would have plenty of time to recover before the finish.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Frosty said:
Those unmarked climbs early on are a bit tougher than unmarked climbs might make you think.

The one between 25 and 31km rises 300 metres = 5%. With the earlier climbing too there is the potential there for someone to raise the pace and try to drop the sprinters. Only question is who? If there was a Freire and a Hushoved (pre this year) then you could end up with a climbing sprinters group and a non-climbing sprinters' group and a pursuit to the finish. However, i dont think there is anyone strong enough for this to be worthwhile. Likewise, maybe one or two teams could put on the pace to drop the sprinters and then release a high quality break of guys who could maybe finish 25th overall and try to hold the sprinters off. Only problem though is that this could be the sprinters and their workers' last hurrah so there shouldnt be a situation where anyone is tempted to sack today off and wait for tomorrow. Anyone aiming for 25th overall would be better advised to chance their arm on one of the mountain stages.

If Cav is on a good day then maybe we could even see the slowest sprinters being dropped and then not being let back on as the Sky/GreenEdge bunch disappears off.

why would any team want to control the stage for 100 km

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
why would any team want to control the stage for 100 km

Exactly. No-one is going to dry to drop people after 25k and stop them coming back for 100km. Even Bos and Guardini will be there today.

will10 said:
Exactly. No-one is going to dry to drop people after 25k and stop them coming back for 100km. Even Bos and Guardini will be there today.

My point was that not that Sky were going to put all their effort into stopping someone from coming back, more that someone chasing by themself or with a team-mate might not be able to match the pace of the peloton. As i said though, this is unlikely.....

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Frosty said:
Dunno. He's still in the race though so i imagine they think he has a chance of being competitive today. If not then it would have been better for him to drop out and prepare for TdF and the Olympics IMO. Guess we'll find out soon.

he will quit the race after today?

Purito

AtLCaZcCEAAAzah.jpg

greenedge said:
I'm hoping for Goss to win so i can have 4 stage predictions correct. My BMC one in the TTT would have been good ( if only they did not already have the pink jersey/ Phinney under performing ).

Goss has no chance, I'd say, judging from the way he looked during yesterday's stage.
Still hurting from getting Pozzatoed.

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Goss has no chance, I'd say, judging from the way he looked during yesterday's stage.
Still hurting from getting Pozzatoed.

I don't think going into the back of a team car and moto would have helped either.

Matt Goss ‏@mattgoss1986

Crashed again today, coming back thro the convoy after a puncture then a team car and moto braked next to each other. Wnt straight into em!