• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Giro d'Italia wildcards:Who would you like to see?

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which teams would you invite at the next Giro d'Italia edition?

• Christina Watches

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
profff said:
konig could the next machado ( i hope not), big hopes based on nothing. anyway , at this point he cannot be compared to betancur: the colombian won the vuelta colombia sub23 at 19 years, won the giro bio and in his first year pro distinguished himself in sestriere stage(240km) and in lombardia (250), fighting with the best ....and that it is sign of massive talent, in plus he won emilia, a very hard race with a strong field ( just read the albo d' oro of emilia).how can you say that he is just a one day racer and not a gt contender,with two of the most important stage races for elite in his palmares and the ability to recover and improve in the third week shown at the giro, that it is unexplicable.
i do not know how can you compare that accomplishments to a 3rd place in kitzbuelhorn at the austria tour ( 130 km) won by kessiakoff, a 2 tier climber.
König got 3d behind Pinot and Moncoutié on the Grand Colombier in the Tour de l'Ain, that's a decent result. And don't forget that Kessiakoff was on a pretty good run last year, until he got sick halfway through the Vuelta.

The only WT race König did last year was the Tour de Suisse, his best result there was 14th on the stage Kruijswijk won, in about the same time as Van Garderen. Not bad. Not great either, but neither was Betancur for much of the Giro last year.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
just some guy said:
It really does show how bad the WT is

reduce to 15 teams and let the GT have 7 picks

For the Giro that would work well. For the Tour it wouldnt. It would just be 7 really poor French teams.

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I clearly remember how Garzelli was treated before the Giro 2009. People believed in Basso or Gibo, while Stefano was given the role of the obvious loser, the one who past his prime long ago. Not being a big fan of him before I decided to become one, just because of this skepticism over his chances. These were beautiful moments in my 'supporting history', he had been on of the most visible riders, won the KOM and finished 7th (6th after Di Luca’s suspension). Only one bad day, one f***in bad day on Alpe di Siusi… he would have finished on the podium, at least considering his further results he had a chance (it was not that hard stage at all) :(. Since that he tries to animate this race as much as possible, though he can’t contend for the GC anymore. He would surely give his best in the Giro 2012, but unfortunately he should pay for Di Luca’s sins (let’s face it, it was a huge blow for Giro, and while the organizers couldn’t prevent him from participation last year, so they do it now).

Kvinto said:
I clearly remember how Garzelli was treated before the Giro 2009. People believed in Basso or Gibo, while Stefano was given the role of the obvious loser, the one who past his prime long ago. Not being a big fan of him before I decided to become one, just because of this skepticism over his chances. These were beautiful moments in my 'supporting history', he had been on of the most visible riders, won the KOM and finished 7th (6th after Di Luca’s suspension). Only one bad day, one f***in bad day on Alpe di Siusi… he would have finished on the podium, at least considering his further results he had a chance (it was not that hard stage at all) :(. Since that he tries to animate this race as much as possible, though he can’t contend for the GC anymore. He would surely give his best in the Giro 2012, but unfortunately he should pay for Di Luca’s sins (let’s face it, it was a huge blow for Giro, and while the organizers couldn’t prevent him from participation last year, so they do it now).
I hope Garzelli at least decides to ride the Tirreno. After all, he won it two years ago.

He had a weird Giro last year. 3d on the Etna, fail on the Grossglockner, absolute fail on the Zoncolan (didn't try, I assume), on his way to winning the Gardeccia stage but then that pesky Nieve caught and passed him. Not very consistent at all anymore.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
I hope Garzelli at least decides to ride the Tirreno. After all, he won it two years ago.

He had a weird Giro last year. 3d on the Etna, fail on the Grossglockner, absolute fail on the Zoncolan (didn't try, I assume), on his way to winning the Gardeccia stage but then that pesky Nieve caught and passed him. Not very consistent at all anymore.

It's called "I can't go for GC so save energy and pick a stage to try and win".

Garzelli was also 4th at Montevergine and 5th in the Nevegal ITT. Hardly disgraced himself.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
joe_papp said:
Whether one likes Garzelli or not, the disrespect for him you seem to show is unfortunate. He won the KOM at the Giro in 2011 if I'm not mistaken. He doesn't make any pretense about trying to win the overall again, but clearly aims to animate the Giro - something that very few of the current generation of professionals seem to know anything about. What's so desperate about wanting to once again - one more time - honor yourself and the race that made you before you retire after a storied career?

It's great he wants to honour himself and the race one last time . That's very true. But that mountain jersey he got semi-gifted by Contador. Don't misunderstand me, Garzelli lightened up the race and all that, but if Contador wanted that jersey, he would've got it

will10 said:
It's called "I can't go for GC so save energy and pick a stage to try and win".

Garzelli was also 4th at Montevergine and 5th in the Nevegal ITT. Hardly disgraced himself.
Can you read? I said "didn't try, I assume".

I meant it's rather strange for a former GC rider to finish 3d on one mountain stage, and a few minutes off the pace in the next. After that of course he chose different goals.

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Michielveedeebee said:
It's great he wants to honour himself and the race one last time . That's very true. But that mountain jersey he got semi-gifted by Contador. Don't misunderstand me, Garzelli lightened up the race and all that, but if Contador wanted that jersey, he would've got it

Sure, but is it that important? There are dozens of riders who've done less, but yet they (their teams) are still in.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Kazistuta said:
And if we have to look at it rather objectively, here's my thoughts on some of the left out teams:

- Acqua E Sapone can't put their faith in two "on the downhill" riders like Di Luca and Garzelli - neither will bring anything else than a desperate urge to show themselves one last time. But the rest of the teams more prominent riders all fit better in week long stage races or one day classics (Taborre, Napolitano, Betancur, Ginanni)
To exclude Garzelli in light of his last few appearances is ludicrous. We have the defending Maglia Verde jersey winner sidelined in what was likely to be his last season. Riders like Garzelli may be in the twilight of his career but as Simoni showed in 2010 they tend to go out with a flourish. Just a pity Tschopp was greedy and took the Cima Coppi as well as the stage.
270-PIC115009891.jpg

As for inviting a team from a country that vilifies cycling and hardly televises it at all, what on earth were they thinking?

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Can you read? I said "didn't try, I assume".

I meant it's rather strange for a former GC rider to finish 3d on one mountain stage, and a few minutes off the pace in the next. After that of course he chose different goals.

Yes I can read, and you said he had a weird Giro, which I qualified as stage hunting after sitting up/suffering on Grossglockner.

ultimobici said:
Just a pity Tschopp was greedy and took the Cima Coppi as well as the stage.

Greedy? It's a big deal to win Cima Coppi as an unproven rider like Tschopp was. No gifts;)

A

Anonymous

ultimobici said:
To exclude Garzelli in light of his last few appearances is ludicrous. We have the defending Maglia Verde jersey winner sidelined in what was likely to be his last season. Riders like Garzelli may be in the twilight of his career but as Simoni showed in 2010 they tend to go out with a flourish. Just a pity Tschopp was greedy and took the Cima Coppi as well as the stage.

maybe thats what the organisers were worried about. :rolleyes:

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
And what if Tschopp had cracked before the finish and was caught and dropped and then he would have got nothing from his efforts?

Re-reading the cyclingnews commentary from the stage I'd doubt that was an issue. He'd already put Simoni in a little bother, sat on him once he got back on then jumped by for the Cima. Judging by the way he dropped Simoni on the descent he had plenty in the tank. So my impression now is the same as it was as I watched live. Tschopp displayed poor sportsmanship on the Gavia.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
roundabout said:
Definition of going out with a flourish = needing a gift from a no-name rider

Stone me, you're a tough lot! The fact that Simoni was pipped for the Cima was a pity, but the flourish was animating the stage.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
roundabout said:
Definition of going out with a flourish = needing a gift from a no-name rider

Similarly, definition greedy, poor sportsmanship = no-name rider with barely any wins not gifting a minor prize to a rider bloated with palmares.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
ultimobici said:
Re-reading the cyclingnews commentary from the stage I'd doubt that was an issue. He'd already put Simoni in a little bother, sat on him once he got back on then jumped by for the Cima. Judging by the way he dropped Simoni on the descent he had plenty in the tank. So my impression now is the same as it was as I watched live. Tschopp displayed poor sportsmanship on the Gavia.

If anyone displayed poor sportsmanship it was Gibo, letting Tschopp pull the whole way up the climb and then jumping him for the prime. No, Tschopp had every reason to win the Cima, and I'm glad he did.

I conclude by saying that I personally emerged from the commission with three regrets/disappointments:

1. Denying Garzelli the chance to end his career at the Giro. Stefano is a great champion and a good guy who has had an extraordinary career.

2. Not being able to have the Project 1t4i team at the Giro d’Italia and Tirreno-Adriatico. I’m very happy to see them at Milan-San Remo and Lombardy, but the project is so wide-ranging that I would have liked to have seen them as protagonists in all of our races. On my personal score sheet, they were first in the list. Behind them came Farnese, NetApp and Team Type 1.

3. Indeed, Team Type 1 was the squad most penalised by the decisions taken yesterday. Of course, Milan-San Remo is a prestigious stage and one that guarantees global exposure, but Phil Southerland’s project goes far beyond cycling. I would have liked to have been able to do more to spread their noble message of hope and life. We’ll talk about it again next year.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/pi...arone-blog/wildcards-how-we-made-our-decision

:eek:

So if Acquarone had his way only one Italian Pro Conti team would have been given a wildcard.

joe_papp said:
Whether one likes Garzelli or not, the disrespect for him you seem to show is unfortunate. He won the KOM at the Giro in 2011 if I'm not mistaken. He doesn't make any pretense about trying to win the overall again, but clearly aims to animate the Giro - something that very few of the current generation of professionals seem to know anything about. What's so desperate about wanting to once again - one more time - honor yourself and the race that made you before you retire after a storied career?

Granted, could've given Garzellis merits in the giro more respect. But still: He IS a rider in decline (and that was my point). We've seen plenty of wild card "gifts" to honour a great GT career before, though.

I don't know if I personally loved the desperate last giro surge from Simoni, mainly the behaviour towards riders not "respecting" him enough.

@proff: I don't overrate the NetApp riders, just tried to point out some of the potential "profiles" from their team.

TRENDING THREADS