• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Giro d'Italia wildcards:Who would you like to see?

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which teams would you invite at the next Giro d'Italia edition?

• Christina Watches

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Altitude said:
Well The Killer's career is over. I think he could have done one last good ride at the Giro this year but they snubbed him like he was nothing. Scandalous

Not only him! What about Garzelli? bah... =...(

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
The Milano-Sanremo selection of Coldeportes is almost as laughable as the inclusion of NetApp for the Giro. Is that supposed to be some kind of misguided compensation for those wacky Colombians? Seriously, what a mess.

Ferminal said:
What do they say about broken clocks :D

Smack 'em?

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Acquarone this is for you...
facepalm5.jpg

jens_attacks said:
on january 10th we'll find out.i hope acquarone won't do something regrettable.

well well acquarone fucced it up, i wasn't wrong.big time.i hope this guy will face the italian tifosi sooner than he thinks.
what a catastrophe...i'd expect colnago out or farnese but really acqua e sapone???and in, team netapp?i guess they will change their minds until may this is impossible.

acquarone OUT!

Join us on the facebook page guys to complain about Garzelli the Great's exclusion from the race.

just some guy said:
It really does show how bad the WT is

reduce to 15 teams and let the GT have 7 picks
That would be much better yes, though personally I believe gts should choose every team they want, or at least have a right to exclude like 5 Wt teams.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Wonder what Masciarelli(Aqua&Sapone) ever did to Aquarone and how he will get him back?

and italian friend of mine told me some weeks ago acqua wouldn't be invited because of di luca. he was right

Ofcourse Netapp far from deserved this wild card against Aqua or Coldesportes most of all, and it is a pretty stupid choise, but hopefully Coldesportes will get to ride the Tour or Vuelta instead, and then Aqua will learn not so sign someone like Di Luca and be back next season, and one might hope they will get some wild cards for the Ardennes classics instead so they could focus there and do even better.

But forgetting that Netapp dont deserve it against the competition, I think they still have a team that is worthy of a grand tour, and that they should still do just as well as some of the protour cteams that will ride, and I think it will be quite fun to see what they can do

König should be able to ride top 20 or maybe even better and also Holenstein is a very solid and reliable stageracer that could finish top 30 or so.

And then it shall be fun to see their sprinter Schulze finally get to ride a grand tour. He should at least be able to get some top 10s in the sprints.

All in all it could be worse and the unfair thing is not so much that team Netapp gets to ride but more that Aqua and Coldesportes dont.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Bye Bye Bicycle said:
Out of this forum Coldeportes was never only near to an invitation.

So the correct version is:

NetApp over Acqua e Sapone
or
NetApp over It41

With both I agree.

yeah that's why they got invited for every other rcs race, even msr :rolleyes: acqua was never in the run for giro wildcard after signing di luca.

In fairness, given the absolute dogs of squads some WT teams will send, Net App won't even be close to the worst team at the Giro. It will be the central focus of their season. Sucks to be Garzelli or Duarte though.

As others have said, the core problem is that too many teams are guaranteed a ride even though they aren't really that bothered about the Giro, leaving teams for which it would be the main event of the year out in the cold. I'd have Net App, Coldeportes and AeS all there over some of the WT teams.

Ryo Hazuki said:
yeah that's why they got invited for every other rcs race, even msr :rolleyes: acqua was never in the run for giro wildcard after signing di luca.

well it was his risk,if he had signed with a world tour team,they couldn't touch him.i don't think it was personal,netapp just paid very good
also i don't even know if il killer actually signed with acqua sapone or if he waited until now.i didn't see anything official

May 21, 2010
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
well it was his risk,if he had signed with a world tour team,they couldn't touch him.i don't think it was personal,netapp just paid very good
also i don't even know if il killer actually signed with acqua sapone or if he waited until now.i didn't see anything official

I maybe exposing my naivety but wild card teams really have pay too get in???

May 21, 2010
Visit site
K thanks, with regard too Net App the reality is that Germany has a larger more affluent population than Columbia and a bigger viewing audience, we live in economically sensitive times.

User Guide said:
K thanks, with regard too Net App the reality is that Germany has a larger more affluent population than Columbia and a bigger viewing audience, we live in economically sensitive times.

Really no one cares about the NetApp team in Germany, not even German cycling fans. This cannot be the reason. Neither it's cash - NetApp can't afford any pricey riders, how could they afford to "buy" a GT invitation? No, it's much simpler than that. Jens Heppner (still) has the right contacts. That brought them to Roubaix, to Tour de Suisse, now to the Giro. And that's that.

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Well, i know 0 about NetApp, so i got a few questions:

what kind of riders they have?
who's their best rider?
what they can do at the giro?

TRENDING THREADS