• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Giro d'Italia wildcards:Who would you like to see?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which teams would you invite at the next Giro d'Italia edition?

• Christina Watches

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
yeah, Giro di Reggio Calabria would be perfect for them, i've just looked at their squad, hmm, i know who is Craig Lewis and Aaron Kemps :rolleyes:

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Michele said:
I was chatting today with a chinese cycling friend about the chance that Champion System might get invited to Giro and after sending a text by chinese twitter to ChampSys he got a reply saying they already got an invite. :confused:

of course they have , every pro cont team has to explane why they want to start in races of the organisation which are T-R , Strade Bianche , M-S , Giro , IL Lombarde ...
The team manager of CS says he have spoken with the organisation , but he told them the team will grown slowly and is normaly not ready for a 3 week race , but they want to be in the 1 day races

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Michele said:
I was chatting today with a chinese cycling friend about the chance that Champion System might get invited to Giro and after sending a text by chinese twitter to ChampSys he got a reply saying they already got an invite. :confused:

your friend knows nothing about cycling I suppose

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
will10 said:
If I'm reading this correctly, there's no chance of a Coldeportes Giro wild card :(

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/14-teams-to-compete-for-giro-ditalia-wildcards

Italian squads Acqua & Sapone, Androni Giocattoli, Colnago-CSF Inox and Farnese Vini, Landbouwkrediet, Project 1t4i, Team Europcar, Saur Sojasun and Team Netapp made the list for the four places available for May's Giro d'Italia.

You're right, same thing written on Velonation unfortunately.

Ok, having calmed down a bit, I believe that Colderportes still have a chance because I haven't found anything about the wildcard bids being split into Giro and non-Giro ones already.

Strange that Cofidis didn't bother. I suppose it means that they are certain of doing the Vuelta then.

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
Ryo Hazuki said:
no because he said champion system was already invited to giro. that;s not true

He reported to me the message he got from ChampionSystem themself "we got invited" which was explained by a guy 1 or 2 pages ago as getting some documents for explain to RCS why they should get invited (and which events).
Simply a mistranslation.

will10 said:
If I'm reading this correctly, there's no chance of a Coldeportes Giro wild card :(

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/14-teams-to-compete-for-giro-ditalia-wildcards

Italian squads Acqua & Sapone, Androni Giocattoli, Colnago-CSF Inox and Farnese Vini, Landbouwkrediet, Project 1t4i, Team Europcar, Saur Sojasun and Team Netapp made the list for the four places available for May's Giro d'Italia.
Which proves what most of everybody said on this forum, that Duarte made a stupid mistake and went backwards on his professional career.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Voeckler has done the Giro in 2009 and 2010 and I think once before that (2007 rings a bell), but after his 4th place finish at the Tour last year, would he really ride the Giro when he will be looking to have a real go at the Tour this year?

I think Colnago would get a spot over Coldportes ( if only because of Modolo/ Pozzovivo ) but i would prefer Farnese, Coldportes, Acqua and Androni. I want to see Liquigas send riders like Viviani ( even if they might have conflicting leaders already GT wise )

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
Which proves what most of everybody said on this forum, that Duarte made a stupid mistake and went backwards on his professional career.

Depends on what invites they do get, missing out on the Giro is not the end of the world.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
Look at the title of the article and then count how many teams are originally listed, 9, yet the title says 14 are listed for giro wildcards so it must be that the other 5 are still up for giro wildcards. So we may yet be seeing duarte race the giro

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Froome19 said:
Look at the title of the article and then count how many teams are originally listed, 9, yet the title says 14 are listed for giro wildcards so it must be that the other 5 are still up for giro wildcards. So we may yet be seeing duarte race the giro

That's not what it says in the main body of text.

Androni giocattoli (ita)
acqua & sapone (ita)
champion system cycling team (chn)
colnago-csf inox (irl)
colombia-coldeportes (col)
farnese vini (gbr)
landbouwkrediet (bel)
project 1t4i (ned)
rusvelo (rus)
saur soyasun (fra)
team europcar (fra)
team netapp (ger)
team type 1-sanofi (usa)
utelsilnord named (irl)

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
will10 said:
That's not what it says in the main body of text.
Yes it is.
"RCS Sport, organisers of the Giro d'Italia, Milan-San Remo, Tirreno-Adriatico and Il Lombardia, has named the 14 teams which will comprise the pool of wildcard candidates for all of its events".
and it then goes on to list nine of the teams who "made the list for the four places available for May's Giro d'Italia"
and then says
"Also in the list" and lists the other five.
Nowhere there does it disclude or imply that any of the latter five are discluded