• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Giro d'Italia wildcards:Who would you like to see?

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which teams would you invite at the next Giro d'Italia edition?

• Christina Watches

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
Which proves what most of everybody said on this forum, that Duarte made a stupid mistake and went backwards on his professional career.

again this? duarte made an excellent choice. in a colombian team he will ride much better and feel more at home. you appearantly don't understand. ever wondered why herrera never went to a european team?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
again this? duarte made an excellent choice. in a colombian team he will ride much better and feel more at home. you appearantly don't understand. ever wondered why herrera never went to a european team?

Considering he won't be riding as many of the big races with the Colombian Coldeportes team who are hardly guaranteed a spot in any GT's unlike many other teams he could of gone to then yes it is a bad move.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Considering he won't be riding as many of the big races with the Colombian Coldeportes team who are hardly guaranteed a spot in any GT's unlike many other teams he could of gone to then yes it is a bad move.

in coldeportes the team revolves around him. if he had gone to what? movistar? he would've been made a helper

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
in coldeportes the team revolves around him. if he had gone to what? movistar? he would've been made a helper

I would say there would be plenty of teams would give him a leadership role at the giro who are world tour teams though many of those teams don't have a spanish influence in them.

Ryo Hazuki said:
The 80's were different times to these ones. And Herrera and his Cafe the Colombia team were invited to GT's also FYI. He didn't have to move to a European team.

I am Colombian and I don't want to see a great talent from my country wasted in second tier races.

Froome19 said:
Look at the title of the article and then count how many teams are originally listed, 9, yet the title says 14 are listed for giro wildcards so it must be that the other 5 are still up for giro wildcards. So we may yet be seeing duarte race the giro
From the initial article I thought that they were excluded from the list for the Giro, but included for the list of other races. That's how I read it. I hope that I am wrong, becuase I would trade any of the other races for the Giro.

Ryo Hazuki said:
you are always negative and always wrong too
Just because I don't share your same point of view?

Listen, I have been waiting too long for the second coming of Herrera or Parra since the 80's. I am tired of seeing so much wasted good talent from Colombia due to changes in the way cycling is run, economics or even doping for that matter. Fabio had a great chance to make a strategic move and he did not take advantage of it IMHO.

Again, and I mean it, I hope they get an invite just like you hope that too. But apparently it looks like a long shot.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
then there's always the vuelta or the tour and if not 2012 then 2013. I;m sure escarabajo thought like many others the idiotic move soler made in 2007 by leaving acqua to go to barloworld untill all of a sudden they got tour wildcard because of corti

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
It will take a miracle for them to get a tour place but yes they may get a Vuelta place. Even so i think Duarte really wants to do the Giro (as it suits him and columbians in general) so for them to miss out would be a big diappointment for the team.
and if they do not race any grand tours at all they will be greatly dissapointed especially as this is the year now when Duarte can step up and get a good gc place

auscyclefan94 said:

It's a risky move but whether it's a bad move or not depends on to what races they're invited. As he stated the combination of an all Columbian team, living in Europe and managed by someone with experience in the European peloton gives them an edge up on previous Columbians teams that made the attempt. He couldn't pass up the opportunity to race in the sport's biggest events with his compatriots, proudly representing his country. I can see why he made the decision that he did.

Angliru said:
It's a risky move but whether it's a bad move or not depends on to what races they're invited. As he stated the combination of an all Columbian team, living in Europe and managed by someone with experience in the European peloton gives them an edge up on previous Columbians teams that made the attempt. He couldn't pass up the opportunity to race in the sport's biggest events with his compatriots, proudly representing his country. I can see why he made the decision that he did.
I think that you are right. It is a risky move. If they get invitations to big rages, especially GT's, then is a good move.

Now if we are patient enough and they get good results on short races, it will be almost certain that they will get invited to at least one of the GT's in 2013 IMO. I can see where having an all Colombian team would be a good move for the diversity of any of the GT's. We have read that they want to be more international, and what is better than to invite an all Colombian team.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
they will be invited for tour 2013. prudhomme alreayd said on numerous ocassions he will invite colombian team to 100th tour de france and they are only team that are pct