• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Road World Championships, Mens Road Race Maastricht - Valkenburg 267 km 23/09/12

Oficial thread rather than have 15 threads about how jtl will win and 10 about Gilbert.

Course: 106km from Maastricht through southern Limburg province, then onto course for 10 laps.

Course map and profile of early section onto first lap of course.

elitemensroadrace_1_600.jpg

Profile of the 16km, 10 lap circuit.

juniormensroadrace_1_600.jpg

Alternate

http://velofocus.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Profile-Worlds-RR-2012.png

Bemerleberg

bemelerberg1_graph.jpg

Cauberg profile
Cauberg_Valkenburg_profile.jpg

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Yeah Gilbert is my big favorite too. I think theres more than a 50% chance he will win.

BTW is Visconti riding for Italy? I heard his name was mentioned in the ferrari files so maybe they are using their rule against him.

Visconti isn't riding, no idea if it has anything to do with the ferrari files.

Edit: Looks like it does have something to do with that, Italy picked the riders without a doping past. http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/09/news/italy-keeps-it-clean-for-worlds_237751

Less then 50 riders to finish. Group sprint of about 10 at the line with representatives from Belgium( Gilbert ), France( Voeckler ) , Italy( Gasparoto, Nibali ), USA (TJ), Russia (Kolobnev), Spain (Rodriguez, Valverde, Contador, Sanchez), Norway(Boss), Kazakhstan (Iglinsky), The Netherlands (Mollema) and GB (JTL).

DenisMenchov said:
Less then 50 riders to finish. Group sprint of about 10 at the line with representatives from Belgium( Gilbert ), France( Voeckler ) , Italy( Gasparoto, Nibali ), USA (TJ), Russia (Kolobnev), Spain (Rodriguez, Valverde, Contador, Sanchez), Norway(Boss), Kazakhstan (Iglinsky), The Netherlands (Mollema) and GB (JTL).

Gaspa isn't in the Italian team.

I'm really curious how Moreno Moser is going to do. Wether he will work for Nibali or have the opportunity to try something himself. he showed he has a big engine when he contested the italian national championships (also 250 km i believe and hilly)

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
DenisMenchov said:

No Freire? He's supposedly motivated.
Also, I don't know how Spain gets away with that many and some other countries don't get more. Dutch could easily have more than Mollema, although they'll just attack each other.

gerundium said:
I'm really curious how Moreno Moser is going to do. Wether he will work for Nibali or have the opportunity to try something himself. he showed he has a big engine when he contested the italian national championships (also 250 km i believe and hilly)

Should be Italy's 2nd choice after Nibali. Perhaps will have a free role.

His experience at this level is the main obstacle.

May 17, 2009
Visit site
Gilbert is the big favourite with Sagan as the biggest challenger. The Worlds is always a difficult race to predict (apart from last year). The lenght of the race, size of teams, late in the season etc... a lot of things to consider. But it's also the best race of the season!

See you on the Cauberg! It's going to be spectacular :)

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Netserk said:
How many from here will be there? I guess DT and Ryo will, but is there anyone else?
I will be there again this weekend, gonna be in Sittard by 11:15, then ride down to Valkenburg for the circuits, if anybody sees me, give a shout.
218029_522733281085958_36129046_n.jpg

gerundium said:

It was a very hard parcours. Much harder than this.
Competition obviously much weaker though.

Afrank said:
Visconti isn't riding, no idea if it has anything to do with the ferrari files.

Edit: Looks like it does have something to do with that, Italy picked the riders without a doping past. http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/09/news/italy-keeps-it-clean-for-worlds_237751

Not only a doping past. Everyone involved in a doping case, even if not proven guilty yet, cannot ride. That's the nonsense of Renato Di Rocco.

DenisMenchov said:

What about Colombia?

The Hitch said:
Such a shame. A rider who can survive a tough 250 km, and still pack a good sprint at the end. This course was perfect for him :(

Meh. Although I agree he could've been useful, he has never done much in his limited chances in the Ardennes.

May 17, 2009
Visit site
Netserk said:
How many from here will be there? I guess DT and Ryo will, but is there anyone else?

I'm going, along with 10 other Scandinavians. We go to the worlds every year. It's by far the best race to watch - beats the Tour by a mile.

Look out for Team Fernet on the Cauberg. Hopefully the Belgians are doing the "Villa Belgica" this year as well. It was brilliant last year in Copenhagen.

5432_Fernet-fram.jpg

5433_Fernetbak.jpg

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Do some people see the finale of this world championships having similarities with Mendrisio considering that there was the Novazzano and then a couple of km's of rolling to flat parcours to the finish?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The final ascent of the Cauberg will break everything up. I doubt there will be much of an organized chase in a race without radios.

And even if there's a chase there will be team-mates disrupting the chase if someone gets away.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
jrolaf said:
I'm going, along with 10 other Scandinavians. We go to the worlds every year. It's by far the best race to watch - beats the Tour by a mile.

Look out for Team Fernet on the Cauberg. Hopefully the Belgians are doing the "Villa Belgica" this year as well. It was brilliant last year in Copenhagen.
Did you come to the World Championships in Melbourne?

TRENDING THREADS