• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Tirreno-Adriatico Stage 7:San Benedetto del Tronto: 9,3 km ITT

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
1 Vincenzo NIBALI Italy LIQ 29:38:08
2 Christopher HORNER United States RNT +14
3 Roman KREUZIGER Czech Republic AST +26
4 Rinaldo NOCENTINI Italy ALM +53
5 Johnny HOOGERLAND Netherlands VCD +1:00
6 Michele SCARPONI Italy LAM +1:06
7 Joaquin RODRIGUEZ OLIVER Spain KAT +1:16
8 Wouter POELS Netherlands VCD +1:25
9 Cameron MEYER Australia GEC +1:33
10 Domenico POZZOVIVO Italy COG +1:41

Scarponi did better than JRO

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Is Kreuziger really overrated? I haven't seen anybody say here that he can win a Grand Tour or something similar. He just got third in T-A... Hardly a bad result.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
royalpig180 said:
TA definitely has the greatest trophy in cycling... short of the PR cobblestone maybe.

better than this?? :cool:

lsalazar+PODIUM+DE+LA+VUELTA+AL+TACHIRA+2012.jpg

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Still amazing that Horner finished 2nd with 0 race daysi n 8 months :eek:

Kreuziger is disappointing when it really counts. They really had no answer to Nibali in this race.

ya that is really impressive, mad props for him.

still 4 secs faster then gesink tho :p just joking ofc

like i said i will only have a formal opinion on nibali's tt when he does a longer one.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
Not that I had much faith on Kreuziger, but overrated as he is, surely he should at least have managed a top 30 or something like that. This is almost as if he came in the autobus in a mountain stage.

agreed but wether 30 of 50th he woulkd've never won and that's why I wonder what the hell is was thinking this whole week

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Is Kreuziger really overrated? I haven't seen anybody say here that he can win a Grand Tour or something similar. He just got third in T-A... Hardly a bad result.

people think eh can potentially wing t's or podium them already. he won't do top 5. he's so overrated and phsyically at his peak now for some years

El Pistolero said:
His TT capabilities are vastly overrated. Kreuziger hardly ever does good time trials anymore and yet everytime they expect him.

When he was younger he did very good time trials but lately he's become sloppy

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Well Horner was 45th in the time trial. That has nothing to do with underrating Nibali but overrating himself.

Ofcourse, 8 months without competition might do that with him

This. I think Horner overachieved this week considering his injuries/blood thinners/time off the bike.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Parrulo said:
if guys that have never won a GT are tour favorites why wouldn't a GT winner and multiple GT podium guy no be?

yes the tour has a lot of itt km's but he can always gain time back in the mountains

I don't think Wiggins is the Tour favorite lol. But to be honest, Nibali's Vuelta win is about as good as a top 5 in the Tour... Of course I'd rather win the Vuelta than get fifth at the Tour, but I'm talking about the competition field.

If he rides crappy long time trials all year long he will not be a favorite for the win, it's that simple really.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Well Horner was 45th in the time trial. That has nothing to do with underrating Nibali but overrating himself.

Horner's habit of standing to find power is hurting his TT right now.
He had Krueziger right. Nibali's really improve his ITT. Second to Leipheimer in Argentina was no fluke. Horner had every right to be confident going into today. That's what makes him tick. That had to sting.

Great ride by Nibbles. The Champion Terrino-Adractico 2012!

Dekker_Tifosi said:

To be honest, I would have thought that the 8 months without racing would have hurt Horner more during the actual stages than the TT portion. It is fairly easily to simulate a TT during a training ride -- not as much with racing your opponents to the top of a climb.

El Pistolero said:
I don't think Wiggins is the Tour favorite lol. But to be honest, Nibali's Vuelta win is about as good as a top 5 in the Tour... Of course I'd rather win the Vuelta than get fifth at the Tour, but I'm talking about the competition field.

If he rides crappy long time trials all year long he will not be a favorite for the win, it's that simple really.

that's why i want to see him on long itt's

hrotha said:
Hey, remember when Kreuziger used to say he was better than Nibali? I think he doesn't even have that confidence and ambition anymore. It's sad, really.

wasn't that the reason why he left liqui? because he thought he was better then nibali and wasn't being given the deserved support?

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Highlander said:
To be honest, I would have thought that the 8 months without racing would have hurt Horner more during the actual stages than the TT portion. It is fairly easily to simulate a TT during a training ride -- not as much with racing your opponents to the top of a climb.

Unless he's focusing to much on his climbing. Had Stage 4 been finished 3K at that grade with no flat. Horner would have won the stage.

His big mistake waiting to chase down Nibali on Stage 5. He was very strong then and only Krueziger could follow. He will replay that one a few times.

TRENDING THREADS