• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Tour de France: Stage 6: Épernay → Metz (207.5km)

Page 24 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Got home and just watched the race.. Wow :eek: total carnage. Luckily no real podium/top 5 contenders involved, except for Gesink.

Sagan epic again. Though no Cavendish and Greipel injured, he still did it.

lejarreta said:
Bad news of Euskaltel-Euskadi according to biciciclismo http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=53180

Astarloza abandoned with a broken elbow, Txurruka may have a broken collarbone, and Verdugo has a big cut on his leg.

FFS. They were doing such a great job so far in keeping Samu up front and avoiding most crashes. Now this...

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
So why does Liquigas have to do no work all the time?

Why should they? If it doesn't end in a sprint then if anything that'll be to Sagan's advantage because he still has the uphill finishes to gain points. It's for the pure sprinter's teams to do the work imo. Plus he already had two wins.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
whittashau said:
Why should they? If it doesn't end in a sprint then if anything that'll be to Sagan's advantage because he still has the uphill finishes to gain points. It's for the pure sprinter's teams to do the work imo. Plus he already had two wins.

Liquigas didn't work on uphill finishes either. I'm just wondering why other teams are allowing this to happen.

El Pistolero said:
Liquigas didn't work on uphill finishes either. I'm just wondering why other teams are allowing this to happen.

There are two whole teams which are only there for sprint finishes, Greenedge and Argos. They will work no matter what, particularly Greenedge whose team leader should be good on a tougher finish. Because they have absolutely no GC interest, they don't even care whether Liquigas has fresh or tired support riders. Or whether Sky has. Neither Sky nor Liquigas are giving their sprinters a train of note, and it's not as if Sagan or Cavendish would be pulling if the other sprint teams refused to so, so it makes no difference to them. Then there's Lotto, who have also decided to put their sprinter first. And RSNT who have nothing better to do at this Tour than try to keep Cancellara in Yellow for as long as possible.

As a result, Liquigas and Sky can both get away with murder. They have the absolute favourite for tricky sprints and the absolute favourite for flat sprints, but neither have had to do any work of significance. Nor will they have to, at least not for Sagan or Cavendish.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Rabo Cycling ‏@RaboCycling
Two broken ribs and a perforated lung for @wynants82, unfortunately he's out of the Tour. He will go to the academic hospital of Nancy now.

Peter Cossins ‏@petercossins
Movistar's Ivan Gutierrez says there's 14 other riders in hospital with him. There are more in another hospital in Nancy

:eek:

will10 said:
Rabo Cycling ‏@RaboCycling
Two broken ribs and a perforated lung for @wynants82, unfortunately he's out of the Tour. He will go to the academic hospital of Nancy now.

Peter Cossins ‏@petercossins
Movistar's Ivan Gutierrez says there's 14 other riders in hospital with him. There are more in another hospital in Nancy

:eek:

fuccin war out there.

tomorrow it also won't be easy

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
pugdog said:
Glad to see the ASO have a killing sense of humour.
I have only just watched the crash on the highlights. When you consider that Garmin stopped the peleton racing last year after the big crash on stage 9, and as a consequence lost the yellow jersey, I am totally appalled at the teams that pushed on today. I am no fan of garmin but that was sportsmanship. They have everyright to be angry after today. I can understand teams not slowing for small crashed but this is going to have a mjor impact on results.

Perhaps ASO should have neutralised the stage.

I know sportsmanship is an old fashioned concept but what value does the yellow jersey have now when so many GC contenders loose out big time on this stage. It is going to be a very hollow victory in Paris to win through bad sportsmenship.

On the plus side, I was looking at twitter and it is nice to see the concern being expressed by some teams and riders for their rivals. At the same time, it was sad to see that BMC and Cadel being totally insular and only tweeting about themselves, no mention of crash.

As for ASO giving time penalties for drafting that must be a sick joke.

Caruut said:
Were? They did - Samu still well placed to put Bradley through hell in the next 2 weeks.

They looked really strong though. With Astarloza, Verdugo and Txurruka, combined with Izagirre and Martinez, they had a very good looking team for the mountains as they all gave the impression of having good form. Sanchez is not out, but his options are more limited now.

Normandy said:
I have only just watched the crash on the highlights. When you consider that Garmin stopped the peleton racing last year after the big crash on stage 9, and as a consequence lost the yellow jersey, I am totally appalled at the teams that pushed on today. I am no fan of garmin but that was sportsmanship. They have everyright to be angry after today. I can understand teams not slowing for small crashed but this is going to have a mjor impact on results.

Perhaps ASO should have neutralised the stage.

I know sportsmanship is an old fashioned concept but what value does the yellow jersey have now when so many GC contenders loose out big time on this stage. It is going to be a very hollow victory in Paris to win through bad sportsmenship.

On the plus side, I was looking at twitter and it is nice to see the concern being expressed by some teams and riders for their rivals. At the same time, it was sad to see that BMC and Cadel being totally insular and only tweeting about themselves, no mention of crash.

As for ASO giving time penalties for drafting that must be a sick joke.

UCI not ASO.

Mollema thinks he will be fine for tomorrow. He has wounds everywhere, but doesn't think he has any serious injuries. Ofcourse he didn't know how he will feel tomorrow, but he was reasonably optimistic besides ofcourse his dissapointment of losing 2 minutes. Right now he was more dissapointed about losing those minutes then his injuries.

TRENDING THREADS