• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Tour de France: Stage 7: Tomblaine → La Planche des Belles Filles (199km)

Page 40 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
FignonLeGrand said:
are you just making this up to make urself feel better? Wiggins caught Evans' wheel without getign out of the saddle

What are you, simple? Getting out of the saddle or not does not really mean anything. In fact, when I was just barely hanging on, I'd more often than not stay seated ... everything else was falling apart.

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Cav is a star! Never afraid to let it all hang out.

cav-bottles.jpg

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Cadel seems pretty happy with how the stage went. He also said he went too early and ended up giving froome a leadout.

I really believe that evans had a lot left yesterday, he didn't seem very troubled on the climb and was satisfied to follow the sky train.
He just didn't have that explosive kick. He didn't seem very worried and looked quite satisfied after that.
I think he will surprise a few in the upcoming TT.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Don't bring clinic related issues into race threads, especially when you are throwing stones, while standing in a big, glass house.
Google is your friend.

Besides, there's always cricket.......................oh wait.

Grasping at straws with Evans minor connection with the doctor. When has Evans (and his entire team) put in a performance that would suggest the connection has any relevance whatsoever? Never.

Granted the teams management has a colourful past. But I have never seen anything from Evans (or BMC) that sets off any alarms. Nothing even approaching anything quite so blatant as we all saw yesterday.

On the cricket. Good stuff. Except I'm not Australian. So that doesn't really matter to me. In fact I actively hope the Australian cricket team loses every game they play. At least in that instance, when they win I can say they did it fairly and not feel cheated. Most of the time. Except for the obligatory Aussie convict element that shows itself from time to time. (The Chappell brothers)

It seems to me that Pommies are incapable of light-hearted banter. At least on the internet. Everything I wrote before the stage yesterday was written with a smile on my face. If I were being serious I would have made more of the VAM element, which makes their claims automatically hilarious, but I didn't because its meant to be light-hearted. But whatever.

Then when Sky rocket up the mountain a torrid of abuse follows from Sky fans like this is warfare or something. Maybe your all just kids or some particularly sad individuals or your all gambling addicts so it means more or maybe its actually typical of you guys. Who knows.

Oh by the way. Go Federer. Murray won't win a set. ;)

auscyclefan94 said:
I can see why Quinziato is but not Cummings. I think Morabito wasn't selected because he was ill in the Dauphine though ins aying that, look how well Steve is going in Austria. Will probably finish 2nd overall. Frank would have been too tired to do the Tour after the Giro and the same with Tschopp.

Disappointing rides by Van Garderen and Moinard. Evan's supposed mountain helpers. Deja Vu for Evans. Tarramae will win the white jersey. Quinziato has to be there to help Burghardt and Hincapie on the flat stages and he does a great job. Have not seen much of Cummings yet or Gilbert for that matter.

BillytheKid said:
Klöden blew it, by blowing up. He should have known he was bad and sat up much earlier instead of riding the Sky train. Zubeldia was not that bad, he chose not to make the dig on the last ramp. Rode well witin himself, but clearly Wiggins, Froome, Cadel and Nibali are the best. They had a plan, but things will go wrong. Wiggin's past is full of it, but I would never say that it was all leadership.

Schleck and Horner dropping back while Gallopin kept on riding ahead was a wtf moment for me.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I can see why Quinziato is but not Cummings. I think Morabito wasn't selected because he was ill in the Dauphine though ins aying that, look how well Steve is going in Austria. Will probably finish 2nd overall. Frank would have been too tired to do the Tour after the Giro and the same with Tschopp.
Cadel wanted a back up team that would not take any of the limelight away from him. With the exception of Gilbert, none of the BMC riders are capable of doing anything in this race. And it looks like Gilbert has not been allowed to race for any stages this week in case he wins and the press wants to speak to Gilbert not Evans. Even in Liege it was Evans going for the stage first, and when he could not keep up Gilbert was allowed to go when it was too late.

It would be great to see be allowed to go for a stage win, but I do not think Evans will allow it, even if he still has the other 7 stooges to protect him.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Normandy said:
Cadel wanted a back up team that would not take any of the limelight away from him. With the exception of Gilbert, none of the BMC riders are capable of doing anything in this race. And it looks like Gilbert has not been allowed to race for any stages this week in case he wins and the press wants to speak to Gilbert not Evans. Even in Liege it was Evans going for the stage first, and when he could not keep up Gilbert was allowed to go when it was too late.

It would be great to see be allowed to go for a stage win, but I do not think Evans will allow it, even if he still has the other 7 stooges to protect him.

That's not the case at all. Gilbert was given the chance to go for stage wins but it didn't eventuate. Evans was even chasing for Phil in the finale on stage 1. In saying that, BMC are not going to waste their resources on Phil when he hasn't shown that much this year and Cadel is the defending champion.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Zubeldia was the biggest WTF? moment from Radioshack in yesterday's stage. How did he finish 6th?

You saw the train up front and Zubeldia just behind the best, didn't you know it's 2003 again?

People underestimate Zubeldia constantly. He just came from a 10th place at the Dauphiné, by the way.

Last few years:
2011 - 15th at the Tour
2010 - missed the Tour due to injury, was REALLY strong from August on
2009 - 14th at the Vuelta

It's 2003 all over again?
2007 - 5th at the Tour
2006 - 8th at the Tour

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
karlboss said:
A good TT and Sky will be riding for Froome, Froome was the strongest, Evans was over geared and jumped a little early.

Enjoyed the finale, everyone now knows the state of play. Now everyone puts their plans into action. These plans should start now, not waiting until the TT to confirm what is already known.

Thats just crap. Froome hasnt even done a full season he might blow big time by 3rd week. Froome cannot TT as well as Wiggins, why do all of you just sit here saying "well Froome was better in Veulta" Wiggins was just back from Collarbone. Its Wiggins, Evans or Nibs, and looking at past races Nibs is far more likely to blow that the other 2. You might no want Wiggins to win but all the Froome Vs Wiggins is just wish fulfilment ****. It aint gonna happen.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
That's not the case at all. Gilbert was given the chance to go for stage wins but it didn't eventuate. Evans was even chasing for Phil in the finale on stage 1. In saying that, BMC are not going to waste their resources on Phil when he hasn't shown that much this year and Cadel is the defending champion.

hhmm which resources would those be? Didnt seem to have too mcuh in his tool bag when Sky were battering the peloton. I was v surprised just how weak BMC were. Another year and they have given Evans nothing except great protection in first week, which doesnt get you up a hill

He probably would have been 8th or so in 07 without the break on the Bales stage.

And yesterday he seemed to really try and follow the leaders. My mental image of Zubeldia is of a rider who rides at his own pace and picks up solid GC places without being noticed. Well, with the exception of 07, but when the 5th place finish was mentioned, I had to go and look up where he might have gained time as intuitively a 5th place was a tad too high.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Trunnions said:
Leipheimer dropped.
Sanchez dropped.
Menchov dropped.
Rolland dropped.

In a single stage!

What does this tell us?

It tell you:

Leipheimer dropped - over the hill old bloke good at winning rubbish races in USA
Sanchez - erm find me a crucial selection that Sanchez wasn't dropped from. Sure there will be one but not many
Menchov dropped - really odd how many on here are making (not) subtle clinic related digs at sky. When this guy hasnt won anything since he stopped appearing in clinic related matters
Rolland dropped - young and smashed up in crashes, he'll get better

So many here want to make claim for Menchov, Valverde etc, jsut accept they are old news. Wiggins and Evans will work this one out.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
just watching again this right now to forget is January. I am curious if 2011 Andy or 2011 Contador (it makes no sense to pretend we still have 2007/2009 Alberto or 2010 Andy) could have attacked, and if they did, I wonder if they could have maintain in front of the group. The pace was really sick. Franck, 3'rd in 2011 got dropped pretty early on a 6k climb.

And I hope they bring back this climb pretty soon as a medium mountain stage. So much damage on a few ks with zero big climbs before.

McLovin said:
just watching again this right now to forget is January. I am curious if 2011 Andy or 2011 Contador (it makes no sense to pretend we still have 2007/2009 Alberto or 2010 Andy) could have attacked, and if they did, I wonder if they could have maintain in front of the group. The pace was really sick. Franck, 3'rd in 2011 got dropped pretty early on a 6k climb.

And I hope they bring back this climb pretty soon as a medium mountain stage. So much damage on a few ks with zero big climbs before.
May 2011 Alberto would have destroyed this stage _O_

winning margin ~20 seconds

McLovin said:

Imagine if Wiggins had worked for Froome instead.

They could have gone faster still. By "they" I mean Froome, of course.

TRENDING THREADS