• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Tour of California May 13 Stage 1: Santa Rosa - Santa Rosa 186.5 km

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Beautiful scenery though. Too bad the finish wasn't a little closer to that last climb. LIQ and RAB showed they have strong teams here.

Any news on leipheimer Horner tejay nibali etc?

Bala Verde said:
Beautiful scenery though. Too bad the finish wasn't a little closer to that last climb. LIQ and RAB showed they have strong teams here.

Any news on leipheimer Horner tejay nibali etc?

I'm pretty sure that all of them finished in the bunch, although I'm not entirely sure about Leipheimer.

Does anyone know which of the Colombians made the split?

Boonen must have been caught up in the crash too, because he finished behind riders on 22 secs but was given the same time as the leaders.

The riders effected by the crash mustn't have been sure that they were within 3 kms, because they have to have been riding very hard to finish 22 secs after the bunch.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Zinoviev Letter said:
Boonen must have been caught up in the crash too, because he finished behind riders on 22 secs but was given the same time as the leaders.

The riders effected by the crash mustn't have been sure that they were within 3 kms, because they have to have been riding very hard to finish 22 secs after the bunch.

Didn't watch, but how big was the peloton before the crash?

Boonen seems to be in better form than I thought if he survived the selection. Sagan wins, what can I say, amazing talent. Cavendish can count his lucky stars he won the green jersey last year because it will be the last time. :eek:

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Zinoviev Letter said:

“Boonen flatted coming across the railroad tracks, I think,” said Rodriguez. “I tried to come around Sagan with about 200 meters to go with a slight uphill and I just didn’t have the legs. Sagan was really strong today.”

Zinoviev Letter said:

Sagan said that Boonen got a flat over the train tracks with his interview with Bob.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Sucks, could've won again today. :p

Good to see all other sprinters being dropped, all "flat" stages should be like this. Sprinters needing to work for their victory not just in the final 5km, but during the whole race.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Sucks, could've won again today. :p

Good to see all other sprinters being dropped, all "flat" stages should be like this. Sprinters needing to work for their victory not just in the final 5km, but during the whole race.

Noone said this was flat did they? I (and others) said it would be a reduced bunch sprint and it was. Good stage profile, if it was 10km or 20km to the finish instead of 30km, to put a little more pressure on this would be a great stage.

i agree completely, there is no point in sprint stages that there is no doubt about how it will end. If we just want to know who the fastest guy is, we'd watch track.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
from what i can see basically none of the gc contenders missed the split.
Leipheimer there too... he must have some good ortho surgeons to fix that fracture to be back so soon. NBC sports showed his x-ray. The fibula..a slightly displaced fractue right below the knee. Looked like a easy rivit job. Horner acted a little PO'd in the pre-race interview. He actually said there was now way he (leipheimer) had been just sitting around on the couch.

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I really am getting to believe that Sagan will be serious TdF Green jersey contender already this year. He gets this stage way too easy.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
plooton said:
I really am getting to believe that Sagan will be serious TdF Green jersey contender already this year. He gets this stage way too easy.

Not unless they've changed the points, no way he competes on flat stages with Goss and Cav.

Edit: though I may have to look at all the stage profiles, consistent 5ths and then 1 or 2 wins and he might get there, especially if Goss does well.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
plooton said:

Good point. Cav and Goss can't score on the mountain stages like Sagan and yes, he can compete because he can score on all stage types. He does not have a lot of competition at the Cali. He could win several more stages. Too bad Boonen flatted at the K today.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
plooton said:

As much as I like Sagan as a racer I wouldn't get too stary eyed just yet, this is just the ToC not the Giro, whole different ball game so to speak, then there's the Tour. Totally different make up of riders and peeks in season for the heavy hitters.

Don Johnson

BANNED
May 3, 2012
Visit site
ElChingon said:
As much as I like Sagan as a racer I wouldn't get too stary eyed just yet, this is just the ToC not the Giro, whole different ball game so to speak, then there's the Tour. Totally different make up of riders and peeks in season for the heavy hitters.

Your comment is not fact based, Sagan tears it up, wherever he is, he is world championship material. Liquigas owns California.
Not bad in Europe either, malingerers, not.

Last season seeing Sagan in some of the week long stage races, tearing through highly technical corners, 90o after 90o and keeping it up outstanding. His brother is no slouch either.

TRENDING THREADS