• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Tour of California May 13 Stage 1: Santa Rosa - Santa Rosa 186.5 km

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Zinoviev Letter said:
A bit embarrassing for the GreenEdge lads how quickly Oss went past them.

Wouldn't think it was embarassing for GE as it really isn't a classical lead out train. They did put their strong TT boys up in Durbridge and Meyer who did a great job of stringing the field right out from about 1.2km. With Weening and Sulzberger as the other two in the train, there really isn't a pure lead out man in that group.

Howard is coming off a World Champs track program so great ride for him to get a close 4th and he did crack his rim on the railway lines 800m out. Watch out for him as the season progresses and he gets some more road miles in his legs. Great to see him fighting for that 4th spot with his Madison partner in Cam Meyer as one of his main allies.
http://www.greenedgecycling.com/node/522

hrotha said:
If I ever turn pro I hope I never ride for Rabobank. Their fans are so vicious it's not even funny.

Yah their sprinter crashed. Guess they all should pack up and go home.

Dutch fans are usually vicious. If the team or player they cheer for start failing they usually start booing instead of supporting him.

There isn't much Rabo can do about their sprinter crashing. It's bad luck, but Rabo has a deal with bad luck it seems.

Zinoviev Letter said:
Come off it. You aren't fanatics, but on the odd occasion when Rabo gets their act together, most of the Dutchies seem pretty pleased about it.

I'm not going to deny it. It's more a love/hate affair since they frustate me like hell as well, but I do wish them all the best and I will certainly cheer for them.
More for the dutch riders ofcourse, but Rabo in general yes.
I love the long term support from the sponsor and their efforts for young dutch cyclists.

Ofcourse I also support Vacansoleil more then other teams. Argos not that much though, well not much more compared to other teams.

Besides my support for the dutch teams I don't dislike other teams. Ofcourse I like some more than others. For example I love Euskaltel as well and I like the Pro-conti Italians teams as well, but I don't really dislike teams.

Don Johnson said:
Your comment is not fact based, Sagan tears it up, wherever he is, he is world championship material. Liquigas owns California.
Not bad in Europe either, malingerers, not.
Last season seeing Sagan in some of the week long stage races, tearing through highly technical corners, 90o after 90o and keeping it up outstanding.

All true, but put it into perspective. Who did Sagan crush? A guy who has suffered a total loss of form over the past 2 years and a second tier sprinter who is as long in the tooth as Chris Horner.
Certainly a pity that Boonan flatted and Matthews was busy inspecting Bavarianrider's wonderful tarmac, but they too are not on the same level as the GT sprinter boys.

Sagan would be found wanting when up against the Cav, Griepel, Goss and Kittels of the pan flat Tour stage, stage.
(I see El P went Cav fishing again, but failed to secure a bite.:))

I see the Liquigas man as the natural successor to Gilbert, but with more versatility and pace.

plooton said:
I really am getting to believe that Sagan will be serious TdF Green jersey contender already this year. He gets this stage way too easy.
Him getting the stage so easily is probably more due to the lack of serious sprinting power in that group.

hrotha said:
If I ever turn pro I hope I never ride for Rabobank. Their fans are so vicious it's not even funny.

Yah their sprinter crashed. Guess they all should pack up and go home.
They did well to make the split, but that's to be expected in a pi$$ poor field like this. So then it comes to the results, and boy, did they f.ck up in that regard.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
He is building up to the Tour, not racing here.
A better question would be: why is he building up for the Tour like all their other potential leaders instead of giving the Giro another try to see if he can take another step forward? I mean, he was 8th last year, it's not like the Giro is too little of an ambitious objective for him.

hrotha said:
A better question would be: why is he building up for the Tour like all their other potential leaders instead of giving the Giro another try to see if he can take another step forward? I mean, he was 8th last year, it's not like the Giro is too little of an ambitious objective for him.
The long and short of it: he's Dutch. And he rides for a Tour-obsessed sponsor, for whom even the Tour of California is more important than the Giro.

hrotha said:

Because last years performance in the Giro earned him a TDF spot, because he really wanted to do the TdF and the TdF is waaay more important for Rabo.

Last week Maassen said in a dutch newspaper that the Giro isn't interesting for Dutch/Belgian riders and that California was such a beautiful race etc.
That really ****ed me off .....
The Giro needs more love.

theyoungest said:
The long and short of it: he's Dutch. And he rides for a Tour-obsessed sponsor, for whom even the Tour of California is more important than the Giro.

This. I understand that California is important for the sponsor, but that doesn't mean they have kick the Giro in the nuts.
Sending your 3 GC man to the same GT is just stupid imo. 1 of the 3 should've raced the Giro.

Kwibus said:
This. I understand that California is important for the sponsor, but that doesn't mean they have kick the Giro in the nuts.
Sending your 3 GC man to the same GT is just stupid imo. 1 of the 3 should've raced the Giro.

The performance on the road being mirrored off the road?
Being tactically dumb throughout all aspects of team management.

Kwibus said:
Last year we heard exactly the same thing, nobody believed in Kruijswijk's chances, so personally I take comments like this with a grain of salt.

As for Maassen talking BS: that's not the first time either. He's currently DS-ing in the Giro, can you imagine how he'll motivate his riders if he really believes that the Giro is a sh.t race?

theyoungest said:
Last year we heard exactly the same thing, nobody believed in Kruijswijk's chances, so personally I take comments like this with a grain of salt.

As for Maassen talking BS: that's not the first time either. He's currently DS-ing in the Giro, can you imagine how he'll motivate his riders if he really believes that the Giro is a sh.t race?

You mean I don't have trust in Slagters chances? That's not the point. They have 3 dutch riders that can do well in GT's so imo they should send 1 of the 3 to the Giro.

Vanderscheure wasn't very enthusiastic about the Giro either.

Kwibus said:
You mean I don't have trust in Slagters chances? That's not the point. They have 3 dutch riders that can do well in GT's so imo they should send 1 of the 3 to the Giro.
Yeah, and I mean that last year people thought they had only 2 Dutch riders who could do well in a GT and one of them should go to the Giro. Young hopes can only reveal themselves if they get a free role, like Kruijswijk last year, or Slagter this year. Not that I think he's a GC guy, but I think he could get close to winning an intermediate stage.

hrotha said:

because rabobank wants to lower the risk of a failing tour. Instead of 1 leader they are bringing 3 so they hope one of them doesn't fall or get sick and actually do well :p

although radioshack last year proved even that tactic can fail, when all your leaders fall/get sick

theyoungest said:
Yeah, and I mean that last year people thought they had only 2 Dutch riders who could do well in a GT and one of them should go to the Giro. Young hopes can only reveal themselves if they get a free role, like Kruijswijk last year, or Slagter this year. Not that I think he's a GC guy, but I think he could get close to winning an intermediate stage.

Ok fair enough, but going to 1 GT with 3 GC contenders isn't too much?

Well maybe not since last year they went with 2 and both of them failed ;)

TRENDING THREADS