• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Tour of California May 17 stage 5: Bakersfield ITT 29.6 km

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Kwibus said:
I think that 'we euros' take this race seriously since last year. When it was finally a proper tough race.
I will definately be cheering if Gesink wins it.
Don't call it a GT though else we will come roaring in and flame you like hell ;)

hah... we yanks with any brains know it's nowhere near a GT. It's a good race these days though. It's great to see the caliber of competition at a high level with the European teams sending strong contenders. The new Pro Cycling Challenge is attracting the big names too, though I wish they'd take advantage of Colorado's stunning terrain to make some tougher finishes. Cycling is on the up swing in the US.

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Not so fast . . .

Califootman said:
Armstong was quicker than almost half the guys around the course... she would've been in 65th place on the day. Admittedly the motivation probably wasn't there for some of those guys... but still not a bad performance.

Here we go again with the LPGA vs the PGA comparison. Kirstin Armstrong's win should be merited in its own right. But her time should not be compared to the men's time. To be fair, the men have endured four days of intense mileage, heat and climbing, even though the finishes were field sprints. The majority of them were domestiques killing themselves for their leaders. Others braved long breakaway attempts. And the team leaders with TT skills did their part while their support riders got the day off. So Kirstin's victory should be saluted as a stand alone and not be drawn in with the men's performance.