• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Tour of California May 17 stage 5: Bakersfield ITT 29.6 km

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Don Johnson

BANNED
May 3, 2012
Visit site
I expect Gesink to win a Big Grand Tour someday. How does someone like Boom, Kuiper, or a top class climber learn to climb, being born in the flatlands, racing there and training there?
Genetics? Serious training in the wind?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Don Johnson said:
I expect Gesink to win a Big Grand Tour someday. How does someone like Boom, Kuiper, or a top class climber learn to climb, being born in the flatlands, racing there and training there?
Genetics? Serious training in the wind?

Boom, top class climber. :eek:

He'll be lucky not to get owned by Stybar in the hilly stage of the Tour of Belgium.

Don Johnson

BANNED
May 3, 2012
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Boom, top class climber. :eek:

He'll be lucky not to get owned by Stybar in the hilly stage of the Tour of Belgium.

Really. You did not see Boom ride a mountainous stage(Vuelta) in an 80 mile breakaway and win. You don't think Boom can't climb if he sets his mind to it.
Look at Kuiper, 2nd in Tour winner of Alp Du ez. Or Henk Luberding.

Boom is just primed to win Roubaix, that is his focus. He can do well wherever.
But then again with a moniker like el pistelero. there is no compititon, no one can climb like Alberto.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
there's a lot of wind in the netherlands, that's kinda the same as riding uphill at times

but all-in-all it's down to genetics. And talentful young dutch riders have the ability to ride in spain, italy, etc if they are good enough, so they get used to mountains early

Wow man
Looks like gesink owned, today. well done.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Fowsto Cope-E said:
Sagan only put in about 30 seconds on Kristen Armstrong today. Ouch

Armstong was quicker than almost half the guys around the course... she would've been in 65th place on the day. Admittedly the motivation probably wasn't there for some of those guys... but still not a bad performance.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
mewmewmew13 said:
Danielson seems to be in a good spot and might be on the podium. I'll bet he is climbing better than Papy and Levi.
Nibs...could resurge ..hard to say, but I would't mind seeing him win.

Even Papy says he was bad, bad today. He might go early on the Angeles climb to reshuffle the deck today, they might even let him go. Of course it would not work to the end, but it would make for better racing. :D

Nibali still a threat with Levi right on his wheel.

Didn't see the race but am obviously very happy for Gesink. Well done!

I still think that despite the injuries, and barring new ones of course, he will feature in the Tour. Clearly a podium candidate.

Too bad Horner didn't have it. His rolleyes about Bottle's leg was golden. :D

Don Johnson said:
Serious, Robert is a great guy, I saw him riding around here a while back, riding with his Rabo banks, he speaks English well, and they all come around even Kuiper, Pedro Horrillo, Boom etc.
About GT, just a pun. But, I thought the Europeans watched this race seriously.
About time that a European whose team has business concerns here wins, great for the sport.

I think that 'we euros' take this race seriously since last year. When it was finally a proper tough race.
I will definately be cheering if Gesink wins it.
Don't call it a GT though else we will come roaring in and flame you like hell ;)

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
BillytheKid said:
Nibali still a threat with Levi right on his wheel.

Levi has got no chance, generally if he is in good form that will be shown up by his TT as he is more a rider who tempo rides up climbs so he is not like other riders who will do bad TTs and still go good on climbs. I see him a more of a TT rider who will do well on the climbs depending on how well he Time trials. And as his TT was poor I find it hard to see him affecting GC.

TRENDING THREADS