• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Tour of California May 18 stage 6: Palmdale - Big Bear 186.3 km

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
GC finally taking shape after the TT. Zabriskie will start as leader of this stage whether he will remain in the jersey will be up to Garmin. Gesink seems to be the favorite at the moment after a very nice TT

stage_6_profile_600.gif

strava profile
http://app.strava.com/events/atoc-2012/Stage6

May 28, 2010
Visit site
This may sound crazy, but I'm going to have to go with Sagan winning this one.

But actually... he did win last time the stage finished here (on a relatively similar route) and should be able to repeat that feat two years on.

Furthermore, the fact that he's actually said he's targeting this stage several times over the past few days should be frightening for the other riders. Sagan always says he's surprised to win, or he won't be able to win, etc. When he says he's going to win somewhere, I wouldn't bet against him...

What a boss...

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
the profile looks good on paper but the reality is there is little opportunity for any real selection. hills are long but gradient is slight. sprint

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
We know Sagan is fast but I am not convinced about his strength atm.
His TT perfomance even considering he took it easy after he realised he would lose the jersey was a bit disappointing and he hasnt really demonstrated anything to say he will be strong, as his climbing has not been tested.
He can easily win it but whether he has the form to back it up is anybody's guess. I would go for Haussler who imo has looked pretty strong and i think he is just about capable of handling the climb, unless Garmin burn him out working for their GC riders (a possibility as they have already 3 riders who are not working) as he is looking fast as well. Of course if Sagan is there then no one else stands a chance in the sprint.

not enough mountains to drop sagan and enough mountains to drop all other sprinters except haussler,i also expect gc contenders to do nothing and wait for next stage to battle for overall (a wild nibali might appear but i doubt it)

1.sagan
2.haussler
3.doesnt matter does it

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Not so sure, Horner can't really wait for Baldy, his team could make it hard. TJ is down a couple of doms. Garmin has a tactical advantage with a few cards to play, and don't forget UHC. The course is as hard as the riders want to make it, could be interesting.

Tragic said:
Not so sure, Horner can't really wait for Baldy, his team could make it hard. TJ is down a couple of doms. Garmin has a tactical advantage with a few cards to play, and don't forget UHC. The course is as hard as the riders want to make it, could be interesting.

True, Horner might blow up the race. Would be great. But can he do it? His shape can't be good. I mean 2:50 on 30km. That's really bad. And a lot worse than he usually does.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
greenedge said:
RSNT, OPQS and Garmin all have good cards/ motivation to play their cards so this could be exciting. I think Sagan could win but i will tip Haussler as he looks in good form.

I'm wondering how Matthews could go on here ( future as well ).

I expect Garmin even though they have good GC positions from the TT, to really play some cards in the next 2 days. Last year they were sending Talansky and Hesjedal up the road and I think they will do similar things this year, probably with Talansky and aided by Peterson or Howes or someone like that. i would like to see Danielson attack up the road on the climb even though he would prefer to sit tight yet he did state at the begining of this season that he wants to be more free and attacking.

RSNT will just ride high tempo with Voigt and Busche who are looking really strong after their TT, and i think they can inflict some strong damage particularly no MT Baldy but to a degree tomorow as well.

OPQS I think will sit back more as I have said previously that Leipheimer isnt in great climbing form and i think Velits would be better just following attacks by Horner and co.

I wonder what Liquigas will do, will they push for Nibali who needs to make up time or work to keep it together for Sagan?
I would say probably the latter.

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Very hard to predict this stage but my wild guess is there will be some action among the gc men but eventually it will all come together after the top. Group of 30-40 at the finish line, Sagan will be dropped and LL will take the stage.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Other teams will do all the work and Liquigas will win with Sagan. Someone should fire all the DS and hire someone with some tactical/strategical skills.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
It may be stupid for them not to attack today but that's modern tactics. They're all waiting for the finish on Baldy, and even then I don't think we'll see to many fireworks, just a bunch of guys watching each other.