• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 USA Pro Cycling Challenge, Stage 3, Gunnision to Aspen, 207 kms.

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Holy schmoley. Either the camera work sucked and I couldn't catch the strain on the faces of the chase, or that was one of the most blatantly gifted wins I've ever seen. Eeeks!

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
dgodave said:
How did you figure that grade %? Sounds more like 7.5% based on what I could find.
On further review..... I think youre right.

Yeah :D

The climb starts 4.1km before the finish. Elevation at the start of the climb is 2266.3 meters and 2472.8 meters at the finish line.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
the first part of tomorrow's stage will be good, and after they get off Hwy 82 and onto Hwy 24 northbound, it will be lame...

I am tired of these flat finishes that negate the time gaps that could have been for those who earned them on the climbs. Tomorrow probably won't do much to help that. Tennesee Pass could be described as a "false-flat" almost. Beaver Creek is all about the money, that's why the stage will finish there.

OK, maybe I'm being too negative, but .... maybe not

BillytheKid & I were discussing other route options, particularly a Mt Top Finish on Red Mt Pass. While that could be great, a finish into Ouray down the North side of Red Mt would have been far less likely for the field to come together as it did on today's stage. There is no flat run-in to town, it's literaly right there. But, Ouray doesn't have the money of telluride or Beaver Creek, or Breckenridge ...

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Seriously?!? Not to take anything away from the effort Danielson put in on the day, but that chase looked like it was soft-pedaling to the line. No attacks out of the chase as they neared town too? Whas BMC THAT blown? Just weird.

Deagol said:
the first part of tomorrow's stage will be good, and after they get off Hwy 82 and onto Hwy 24 northbound, it will be lame...

I am tired of these flat finishes that negate the time gaps that could have been for those who earned them on the climbs. Tomorrow probably won't do much to help that. Tennesee Pass could be described as a "false-flat" almost. Beaver Creek is all about the money, that's why the stage will finish there.

OK, maybe I'm being too negative, but .... maybe not

BillytheKid & I were discussing other route options, particularly a Mt Top Finish on Red Mt Pass. While that could be great, a finish into Ouray down the North side of Red Mt would have been far less likely for the field to come together as it did on today's stage. There is no flat run-in to town, it's literaly right there. But, Ouray doesn't have the money of telluride or Beaver Creek, or Breckenridge ...
Impossible. Not nearly enough room for all the finish facilities. Would be a great climb though.
A descent to Ouray would be mad. But Ouray is pretty small a town to generate the kind of crowds they want. I think.

twisted pairs said:
Seriously?!? Not to take anything away from the effort Danielson put in on the day, but that chase looked like it was soft-pedaling to the line. No attacks out of the chase as they neared town too? Whas BMC THAT blown? Just weird.
They also rode tons of miles above 9000' elevation. There could have been some cooked riders saving it for a finish where they can actually get some time.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
dgodave said:
Impossible. Not nearly enough room for all the finish facilities. Would be a great climb though.
A descent to Ouray would be mad. But Ouray is pretty small a town to generate the kind of crowds they want. I think.

Yes, that was sort of my point to Billy the Kid (not enough room, trampling, etc).

RE Ouray crowds: yup most of the crowds would not be locals, that's for sure. Ouray isn't that hard to get to, so many would come to watch. Heck, no one lives on the summit of Cottonwood or Independence, but they had crowds there, especially last year. They are actually having a canyoneering festival in Ouray this week or last week and people come from all over for it.

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
Nice job by Tommy D.

As to all the griping about how the course's or finishes don't measure up, remember, they have to get the race established and on a good financial footing before they can get too adventurous. Plus, with a 7 day race, if they had long MTF in the early part or middle of the week there's a good chance someone would get such a big gap that the race would be over after that stage. Then a bunch of guys would gripe about that.

If I remember both climbs well, the last climb up to Beaver Creek has the potential to be a bit more selective than Crested Butte but the real fireworks will be on Flagstaff. We'll have to see what gaps it produces, maybe enough that the final ITT won't make a difference. Or maybe not.

The race is only in it's second year. Give it time to mature and enjoy it for what it is. Personally, I think it could easily go to 8-10 stages with one or two genuine MTF's on something like Red Mtn Pass or Loveland, or even better, Guanella Pass from Georgetown. For now though, they need to keep the sponsors happy and build new ones, otherwise, no race at all.

9000ft said:
As to all the griping about how the course's or finishes don't measure up, remember, they have to get the race established and on a good financial footing before they can get too adventurous. Plus, with a 7 day race, if they had long MTF in the early part or middle of the week there's a good chance someone would get such a big gap that the race would be over after that stage. Then a bunch of guys would gripe about that.

If I remember both climbs well, the last climb up to Beaver Creek has the potential to be a bit more selective than Crested Butte but the real fireworks will be on Flagstaff. We'll have to see what gaps it produces, maybe enough that the final ITT won't make a difference. Or maybe not.

The race is only in it's second year. Give it time to mature and enjoy it for what it is. Personally, I think it could easily go to 8-10 stages with one or two genuine MTF's on something like Red Mtn Pass or Loveland, or even better, Guanella Pass from Georgetown. For now though, they need to keep the sponsors happy and build new ones, otherwise, no race at all.

The Tour of Utah has had good courses from year one. Producing years of bad courses with bad racing is no way to establish a race.

BroDeal said:
The Tour of Utah has had good courses from year one. Producing years of bad courses with bad racing is no way to establish a race.
Thats because Utah kept the whole race within spitting distance of a major metro area.
I do like how they spread the Pro Challenge across the state of CO. But that does make it challenging to find good starts and finishes where people will actually show up.
So far we have average courses, and good racing, I'd say.

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:

Utah is a great race, but it doesn't have near the financial backing of the USPCC.

TRENDING THREADS